HBO Max's Green Lantern starring Guy, Jessica, Simon and Alan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TazzMission View Post
    The new guy taking over geoff thorne posted on twitter he literally hates hal and wants john stewart to be the focus. Granted i like john stewart but why have a writer who hates the best green lantern writing green lantern? The channel critical thinking has a theory dc may phase out the heros we love like hal Bruce wayne ect and replace them for the new generation. Did you see the tokenised batman? I wont lie looks decent but calling it now itll be race politics . Also real question im being serious how popular is batwing compared to terry mcguiness? I really dont see anyone clamoring for a batwing series movie or show.
    For better or worse Hal is the biggest seller [then Kyle] of all the main Human GLs. This is suicide for this idiot to go on such a hateful rant against Hal.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnMc View Post
      For better or worse Hal is the biggest seller [then Kyle] of all the main Human GLs. This is suicide for this idiot to go on such a hateful rant against Hal.
      He's making it all about him. Geoff did that too, but without publicly pissing on the comic's star.
      Trey Strain
      Guardian of the Universe
      Last edited by Trey Strain; 12-29-2020, 03:33 PM.

Comment

• Controversy sells. Just ask Eric Bischoff from WCW's past. Its often why TPTB think changing a character's sexuality or ethnicity will sell a comic for an extended period, even the dumbest ideas gets the green light for this reason. Even people that hate an idea will buy an issue or two and/or bitch about it on social media to get more buzz around it from one side or the other. Just look at the beginning of the Kyle era as an example, or the Death of Superman. Or the original Clone Saga from Marvel is also a good example, or Superior Spider-Man. Some characters were introduced with potential [Kyle, Superior Spidey, Steel and clone Superboy], some gimmicks went on too long [Death/Return of Superman], and some were clusterf***s out of the gate [Clone Saga].

With DC lately its give and take, sometimes the story is controversial [like turning Iceman or Alan Scott gay, or making ginger Wally a murderer], but now just as often it seems like the creators are controversial and not even in an appealing way [Dan Slott and Kelly DeConnick trolling fans and being uber-political, Geoffrey Thorne dissing Hal, and Mariko Tamaki trashing Starfire for what looks like a self insert into the DCU...]. Its just sad that people without passion for the characters and lore get to write them into the ground because outsiders looking in don't understand what actually sold comics for decades. Any seasoned fan worth half their weight in comics could conceptualize a multi-title relaunch better than the people over DC and Marvel now.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnMc View Post
          John will probably lead a group of one winged white ferries thinking hes prince to apease the lgbtq or seeing as this new writer hates white people he'll probably somohow try to say only white people are gay and non white people aren't. And there has to be some bullshit message how the typical straight white guy has to shut up and accept it otherwise those who dont aren't accepting those peoples feelings. You know jokes aside normally i Would be all for equality but realisticly life isnt perfect. People can have a psychology degree and argue studies and argue about how right they are based on there title truth is they also aren't 100 percent accurate. I ditest this notion that if someone has dr in front of there name there 100 percent right and never can be wrong. For example my mom was given at a guess 1 month to live from stage 4 cancer. She lived 6 years. Im hot saying drs of any form are bad or dont trust drs but they cant predict the future. Same for psychology. Do you know how many times i was misdiagnosed since 2 years old? It took suicidal thoughts from a quit smoking drug to get me tested in 2013. The test was 3 hours. So if drs can get that wrong how can they not fet it wrong about the shole trans debate non binary or gender fluid debate? Sorry for my rant but this shit really pisses me off and its easy for people like big blue lantern who a few pages back to throw out hes a psychology personal wile taking peoples money so of course hes going to say oh they feel depression ect. Who in the world dosent get depressed? Same with suicide kids who are not gay are killing themselves yet nobody talks about it . People act like glbtq are the only people Who do it. And im Sorry if you dont want me to poke fun of your sexuality or critsise dont force it on me to where it has to be taught in kindergarten. Depression sadness anger rage even bullying are what make us human. Now a days you have sensitivity training or get fired or have to drop out of college if god forbid you said something 15 years ago and it reserfaces today. Appertley congress is removing gender pro nouns according to Yahoo news yesterday so he him her she are no longer acceptable. Brother and sister are now labeld sibling. This really is retarded
          TazzMission
          Guardian of the Universe
          Last edited by TazzMission; 01-05-2021, 12:28 AM.
          .................................................. ..........................

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense

Comment

John will probably lead a group of one winged white ferries thinking hes prince to apease the lgbtq or seeing as this new writer hates white people he'll probably somohow try to say only white people are gay and non white people aren't. And there has to be some bullshit message how the typical straight white guy has to shut up and accept it otherwise those who dont aren't accepting those peoples feelings. You know jokes aside normally i Would be all for equality but realisticly life isnt perfect. People can have a psychology degree and argue studies and argue about how right they are based on there title truth is they also aren't 100 percent accurate. I ditest this notion that if someone has dr in front of there name there 100 percent right and never can be wrong. For example my mom was given at a guess 1 month to live from stage 4 cancer. She lived 6 years. Im hot saying drs of any form are bad or dont trust drs but they cant predict the future. Same for psychology. Do you know how many times i was misdiagnosed since 2 years old? It took suicidal thoughts from a quit smoking drug to get me tested in 2013. The test was 3 hours. So if drs can get that wrong how can they not fet it wrong about the shole trans debate non binary or gender fluid debate? Sorry for my rant but this shit really pisses me off and its easy for people like big blue lantern who a few pages back to throw out hes a psychology personal wile taking peoples money so of course hes going to say oh they feel depression ect. Who in the world dosent get depressed? Same with suicide kids who are not gay are killing themselves yet nobody talks about it . People act like glbtq are the only people Who do it. And im Sorry if you dont want me to poke fun of your sexuality or critsise dont force it on me to where it has to be taught in kindergarten. Depression sadness anger rage even bullying are what make us human.
            Not all depression is the same, as in the case with major depressive disorder, which is colloquially known as "clinical depression." It can be lethal, which is why there is an entire field devoted the study of the brain. The ability to manage negative emotions and seek a functional, pleasant existence is the right of every human being.

I don't want to belabor this point since this isn't the appropriate board for this, but I sincerely hope you're continuing to seek aid and counsel. Every post of yours is brimming with a multi-layered rage. If this isn't some manner of online affectation, but it's how you truly feel about other people and life in general, please take the greatest of care with your mental health. I mean that in the most authentic way possible, regardless of what you might think of me.
            Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

• Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
              He's making it all about him. Geoff did that too, but without publicly pissing on the comic's star.
              This is why the Comic Book Industry is dying like it is. Hack writers using the characters as their personal avatars for their fan fic power/revenge fantasies.

Make Mine Manga.

Comment

• Who cares if Alan is gay or 1980s Guy MIGHT be taught about white privilege by his new black/alien partner?

If you don’t like it then don’t watch it! Be happy the GL franchise is in the spotlight again and keep your opinions about character changes they make to fit the times to yourself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Booster Beetle View Post
                  Who cares if Alan is gay or 1980s Guy MIGHT be taught about white privilege by his new black/alien partner?

If you don’t like it then don’t watch it! Be happy the GL franchise is in the spotlight again and keep your opinions about character changes they make to fit the times to yourself.
                  So if tomorrow i drew black panther as a white European male where the villain is called black devil and post it online you'll say the same thing and not call it racist and back and support it? Or what if they cast a white man or white woman as mlk where mlk means Martha instead of martin in a biopic? You know damn well you would say its white Washing because you think race and gender swapping will fix the racial divide in the world and it wont. If anything it makes it worse by saying if your a female gay or person of color you cant succeed without swapping with a white or male character if anything it is more insulting. Hell why not eliminate gender pro nouns in the titles next replacing batman with batsuperior so it dont offend the pussy generation who dont like gender pro nouns? I just think its lunacy if a white person does black face its racist yet its not racist for white characters to be race swapped.
                  TazzMission
                  Guardian of the Universe
                  Last edited by TazzMission; 01-15-2021, 03:59 AM.

Comment

So if tomorrow i drew black panther as a white European male and post it online you'll say the same thing and not call it racist and back and support it? Or what if they cast a white man or white woman as mlk where mlk means Martha instead of martin in a biopic? You know damn well you would say its white Washing because you think race and gender swapping will fix the racial divide in the world and it wont. If anything it makes it worse by saying if your a female gay or person of color you cant succeed without swapping with a white or male character if anything it is more insulting. Hell why not eliminate gender pro nouns in the titles next replacing batman with batsuperior so it dont offend the pussy generation who dont like gender pro nouns? I just think its lunacy if a white person does black face its racist yet its not racist for white characters to be race swapped.
                    https://lmgtfy.app/?q=false+equivalence

Comment

Typical liberal. Trys to start a discussion and back peddles.

Comment

Typical liberal. Tries to start a discussion and backpedals.
                        Someone didn’t click the link to see the definition of what you’re doing.

Yes making Black Panther, the king of an African country, is changing his character just like changing Alan into a gay man. That doesn’t mean it’s the same thing. It’s not like turning Alan gay for an alternate reality book and a TV show changes his entire character like making Black Panther a white man would. At worst, Alan had Jade and Obsidian because he was in the closet. So generally still the same. White Panther would be a completely different story.

Be more like Space Cop.

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                        ^I don't think it's a matter of reflecting or not reflecting the world. It's re-writing the history of a brand to sell a political view.

If you were making all new characters and reflected the diversity as you'd likely come across it, that would be one thing. For instance, if you were making a story about a bunch of twenty-somethings living in modern NYC, it would ridiculous to have them all be straight, white males.

But they're re-writing the narrative; de-emphasizing the characters that have been the long-standing focus because they are inconveniently straight males.

Alan Scott isn't gay. A short-lived alternate-reality version was. But they will present that version (and likely in marketing promote it as THE comic version) because they can get extra points. Ditto if Guy is presented as some neanderthal example of toxic masculinity. That's not being true to the core of the franchise. It's pandering.

I mean I can see how that would appeal to some, but I'm sure you can see how that could also be an insult to Alan and Guy fans or even (by their absence) Hal, John, and Kyle fans?
                        He logically makes his argument.

FYI They’re making T’Challa Star Lord for an episode of What If so you can throw a hissy over that too.

Comment

Someone didn’t click the link to see the definition of what you’re doing.

Yes making Black Panther, the king of an African country, is changing his character just like changing Alan into a gay man. That doesn’t mean it’s the same thing. It’s not like turning Alan gay for an alternate reality book and a TV show changes his entire character like making Black Panther a white man would. At worst, Alan had Jade and Obsidian because he was in the closet. So generally still the same. White Panther would be a completely different story.

For the umteanth time i find alternative realities really lazy by the writers. How about sticking to one continuity and reality and flesh out characters that are gay women or people of color? Your telling me black panther is marvels only black hero? Lets look at dc new batman is black right? Batman is batman do to his tragedy not for being a white billionare playboy. People argue above all the different robins i tell them for me dick grayson is the only robin or batman Should never have a sidekick . Now thats my personal thought. Instead of tokenism why not you know make black lighting the face of black heros since 1. His show on cw is successful 2. He runs the jl on young justice outsiders. You want to tuck away ICON who is basically a black superman but want to replace kal EL with a black superman with a brand new black alter ego? Wouldn't it be less of a headache to revive Icon instead? Why sacrifice a character for the multiverse wich you know will be trash? You are aware there are white Africans who live in southern Africa right? So basically since you argued African country a white person can be black panther. Also i enjoy being me and i think its insulting to space cop to say i Should be like him. Space cop is a good dude
                          TazzMission
                          Guardian of the Universe
                          Last edited by TazzMission; 01-15-2021, 07:02 AM.

Comment

For the umteanth time i find alternative realities really lazy by the writers. How about sticking to one continuity and reality and flesh out characters that are gay women or people of color? Your telling me black panther is marvels only black hero? Lets look at dc new batman is black right? Batman is batman do to his tragedy not for being a white billionare playboy. People argue above all the different robins i tell them for me dick grayson is the only robin or batman Should never have a sidekick . Now thats my personal thought. Instead of tokenism why not you know make black lighting the face of black heros since 1. His show on cw is successful 2. He runs the jl on young justice outsiders. You want to tuck away ICON who is basically a black superman but want to replace kal EL with a black superman with a brand new black alter ego? Wouldn't it be less of a headache to revive Icon instead? Why sacrifice a character for the multiverse wich you know will be trash? You are aware there are white Africans who live in southern Africa right? So basically since you argued African country a white person can be black panther. Also i enjoy being me and i think its insulting to space cop to say i Should be like him. Space cop is a good dude
                            I think there's just a failure to communicate here and you've got a lot on your mind LOL

Nobody said Black Panther was Marvel's only black hero. And it's obvious he isn't with folks like Luke Cage and War Machine running around. And for the record there WAS a light skinned Panther within the last few years, dude's name was even Casper LOL. You are correct in that we have a new black Batman at DC, but IDK why everybody's acting like he's the first. Michael Lane was brainwashed and put in a Batman suit during Battle for the Cowl and eventually became the second Azrael. There was also Stan Lee's Batman. And yeah, the tragedy was definitely a part of Batman's origin but by no means is it the only thing that makes him Batman. Being an entitled white billionaire is what got him training around the world, and helps finance his war on crime. Without his money and resources Batman would be more like Nightfist from Hitman. Or just a regular guy with severe PTSD.

Now for some reason you've segued into Robins, all of which have been mostly white males in continuity. But before the world went full on SJW... back in the 90's... it was revealed Dick Grayson was part Romanian. Thankfully DC hasn't felt the need to remind us with every appearance like they do with Kyle Rayner being part Mexican and speaking Spanish out of nowhere.

As far as Black Lightning... I've wanted DC to do more with him and Bronze Tiger for years. Instead they only push the easy tech based characters like Steel, Cyborg, and Mr. Terrific. As for his CW series... you know it's been cancelled right? Either way he should be in the League, not stuck in Batman's Outsiders.

With Icon.... I think Milestone dropped the ball even with the newest revamp. I would have rather the best of Milestone just be inserted into the mainstream DCU like in the Young Justice cartoon. I think part of DC's problem though is they've purchased too many universes and aren't doing much with the majority of them. People have wanted a Question series forever, and then finally... he gets a mini series. And somehow Rorschach gets a 12 issue maxi series by Tom King no less. I miss seeing folks like Captain Atom regularly, Hawkman now that his series ended, the 90's Ray, etc. I think DC is missing an opportunity not expanding the Justice League into the Justice League Unlimited and adding a couple dozen members.

And since you ended talking about Black Panther again, I'd urge you to look up that Casper dude who became the Panther when he was in NYC for a time. Eventually he became another version of White Tiger but was then forgotten when the Spiderman cartoons introduced the new female White Tiger.

-Ω
                            Ωmega Man
                            Guardian of the Universe
                            Last edited by Ωmega Man; 01-24-2021, 05:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ωmega Man View Post
                              With Icon.... I think Milestone dropped the ball even with the newest revamp.
                              I'm a little surprised DC never took the Milestone guys, some of the GEN13, and sort of spread them around the Justice League, Titans, and/or Teen Titans. Or have they? It seems like the most obvious thing.

Comment

• Things are strangely quiet on show details. It wouldn't surprise me if there is some kind of delay due to the virus.
                                Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

Working...
                                X