Doctor Fate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctor Fate

Okay Old timers, Geezers and whatever old person name thingy. I'm in the mood for some Doctor Fate stories. So I want some recommendations.

It can be solo, or on the JSA itself so long as Fate is the focal point.

There aren't a lot of great Dr Fate stories. He's a cool character is a team setting where other characters can interact with him.

However, I would recommend the 3 issue reprint mini series, "The Immortal Doctor Fate" that came out in 1985. It had a bunch of stuff from different times and different creative teams collected together. It was part of DC's baxter reprint line, which was a heavier stock format on much better paper; pretty much the nicest format at the time.

If you want golden age, the Dr Fate archive is a 'done in one' archive that collected Fate's entire run of his strip in More Fun Comics #55 to 98. It's 75 bucks cover price as opposed to the regular 50 bucks, but that's because they squeezed in more pages to complete the entire run. The only other golden age comics he was in was as a JSAer in All-Star Comics #3 to 21.

The 1987 4 part mini series Dr Fate by DeMatteis and Giffen was pretty good.

Also, the first modern JSA trade, "Justice Be Done" is fantastic.

Comment

The Fate from the last good JSA run also had a 5 issue mini by Golden and Don Kramer I think.

Yeah, was right. IDK about you guys but I really liked Hector Hall as Dr. Fate. His was the first costume that really hit it on all marks too. The Egyptian influences with the collar and boots was a nice twist, though the Multiversity covers make me miss the Doc's old school collar and amulet on a necklace...

~KL~
      Ωmega Man
      Guardian of the Universe
      Last edited by Ωmega Man; 07-03-2014, 04:00 AM.

Comment

IMO, the Hector Hall version of Dr Fate (the sixth one maybe?) was the closest DC ever came to making Dr Fate work other after the Kent Nelson version. And that Hector Hall costume was definitely the best.

Comment

You could power him down to a reasonable level and do something with him. The Spectre too

Let me have them.
          Trey Strain
          Guardian of the Universe
          Last edited by Trey Strain; 07-08-2014, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X