Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HBO's Watchmen

+ YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

"We asked what’s the thing that’s causing a tremendous amount of anxiety in America today? The only authentic answer was race."

The question is, why are those racists wearing Rorschach's mask? "I don’t wanna editorialise on whether or not Rorschach was a white supremacist. I don’t think he was, but he certainly had what would now be considered some alt-right views," Lindelof says. "We wanted to explore that."

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/hb...s-race-a170819

Yeah, seems like this is going to be an "important" show alright.

Comment

Ugh. My eyes hurt from all the rolling they are doing at this turd. No thanks.

Comment

Yeah, it's a big woke-fest.

Here's a few reviews:

This show is a wolf in sheep's clothing. Has nothing to do with Marvel or DC comics. Rather it's a show which attempts to further a flawed political liberal narrative about who the good and bad guys are in today's society. I was shocked and angered. Such wasted potential. Oh well.

Another one:

I was initially entranced. I immediately searched the net for Tulsa 1921, and was shocked to find out the depiction of events in this episode were strikingly realistic. It's a shame that the show then descends into cliche. Race-baiting is at best boring, and irresponsible to say the least. I almost stopped watching multiple times, but hung on hoping they were going somewhere interesting. The "climactic" final scene was unfortunately totally predictable. The target audience of this show is obviously a narrow demographic and it grotesquely stereotypes other demographics. Oh, and it doesn't appear to have any real relation to Watchmen.

Another one:

Hard to find anything to to like. More like 'Woke'men than Watchmen. I'm sure most reviewers loved it for just that reason. If you enjoy reliving horrible events from the past and imagining what it would be like if things hadn't changed in the US since 1921, then you'll probably love it too.

Another one:

All of the good things about this show is just towing the Watchmen line... which is fine, it's called "Watchmen" after all. It's the ham fisted way that Lindelof puts his spin on everything that is just terrible. There is two things going very wrong for this show: First: The ham fisted way Lindelof is curating the entire show to be about social justice isn't even cringy anymore, it's just par for course these days. Lines like "I know white supremacy, and I smell bleach!" litter the show, as if to tell the critics, 'See, I'm woke! I'm woke too!' But this cycle is all so played out at this point. How many critics from every corner of the media will call this show "brave" or "innovative" or "necessary"? The only problem is, when you're doing something to thundering applause from basically the entirety of the access media, it's no longer "brave", it's status quo. And when that same access media hails every ham fisted attempt of talking about American culture and social justice in TV or Film as innovative, it's no longer "innovative," it's just a recycled formula placating to the mostly of-one-mind critics. The second thing (which speaks to an industry wide problem): The lazy way they depict a female superhero. Regina King is a 5'3 48 year old, which probably puts her at 110 pounds soaking wet. And besides face paint and a hood, she has no discernible super powers, which means, we're led to believe that a 48 year old who weighs 110 pounds is just going to regularly out brawl a bunch of men on a daily basis. What made characters like Ripley (in the Alien trilogy) and Beatrix Kiddo (Uma Thurman of Kill Bill) great super-powerless heroes is that they didn't just roam around beating people up as if they were 6'5 265 pounds of pure muscle. Ripley used a combination of calm-headed courage and resourcefulness to claim victory. Beatrix Kiddo was a literal trained assassin, and used her superior skill with a Katana, and again, her resourcefulness, to smite her foes. Regina's character? What helps her overcome the fact she's 5'3 110? She wasn't particularly good with a gun. Her tactics of using the cows as cover as opposed to the forest means she's not particularly smart. Instead of moving Horizontally to flank the mounted .50 cal (which would have laughably carved through all of them), also just shows a lack of any sort of tactical awareness. Then once in the trailer, she didn't use any actual martial arts to beat up someone who probably had 70 pounds on her. It was just a basic choreographed fight scene that hurt the credibility of the show... In short, Lindelof (like mostly everyone in the industry) wants all the credit for casting a woman in a superhero-esque role, without doing any of the hard work to earn it. Look, I think it's awesome that a 48 year old black woman is getting to star in a tough and gritty show on HBO. I'm glad these opportunities exist now, I really am. But if you're going to do that, then you have to put in extra work to make on the writing/directing end to make sure the audience buys into the character; none of such work was done.

Another one:

Huge let down. I wanted to be entertained and I don't find virtue signaling to be very entertaining.

Another one:

Watchman (2019) suffers from the same proverbial, patronizing white guilt (found in the likes of Wu Assassins) that's meant to sate the sadomasochistic white man's desire for bondaged self-flagellation at the hands of an oppressed PoC. It's a newfangled strain of white guilt that says, "look at how evil we are, and please hate us righteously", while ironically giving your pennies to the selfsame white men and women who created their "passion play". I say passion play purposely because these so-called woke "works of art" are merely on-screen representations of the life, trial, and death of white guilt. White writers, producers, and CEOs want PoC to believe the oligarchs of capitalism are on their side! (Please give us your money!). So, these woke content creators are figuratively killing whiteness (I.e., themselves) as a means of sacrifice for the greater good of the oppressed (I.e., PoC). Just like Jesus was sacrificed for all of man's sins, this new "wokeness" is just another means for white people to play saviors through a Christ allegory. But does this make for good TV? No. Damon Lindelof is not Jordan Peele. Moreover, the metaphor does not work. PoC are the cops, instead of being oppressed by the system (I.e., police)? Then why are black cops not permitted to have full access to their guns? Is Watchmen implying that white supremacists are the oppressed? Watchmen demonizes uneducated whites, so that can't be true, can it? Why the confusing metaphor? Is it because white people profit from the system and can't burn it down completely? So, this is not a full-fledged white suicide, but just an attempt. It doesn't matter as long as you believe HBO are the good ones and you pay them. Finally, 1) this show has nothing to do with Watchmen, in themes or otherwise. It's actually insulting how Rorschach is treated, but white supremacists do have a proclivity for stealing things that don't belong to them and fashioning those things in their image. 2) the action was unconvincing. A cow wouldn't provide cover for the type of gunfire shown-the bullets were like 10 inches long... 3) what was the deal with squids? Was that a pretentious reference to Lovecraft's racism? 4) what's the point? In summary, this depiction will only appeal to white people who want to virtue signal.

Comment

I know this heresy to both Hollywood and fanboys in general, but not everything has to be a franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
            Yeah, it's a big woke-fest.

Here's a few reviews:

This show is a wolf in sheep's clothing. Has nothing to do with Marvel or DC comics. Rather it's a show which attempts to further a flawed political liberal narrative about who the good and bad guys are in today's society. I was shocked and angered. Such wasted potential. Oh well.

Another one:

I was initially entranced. I immediately searched the net for Tulsa 1921, and was shocked to find out the depiction of events in this episode were strikingly realistic. It's a shame that the show then descends into cliche. Race-baiting is at best boring, and irresponsible to say the least. I almost stopped watching multiple times, but hung on hoping they were going somewhere interesting. The "climactic" final scene was unfortunately totally predictable. The target audience of this show is obviously a narrow demographic and it grotesquely stereotypes other demographics. Oh, and it doesn't appear to have any real relation to Watchmen.

Another one:

Hard to find anything to to like. More like 'Woke'men than Watchmen. I'm sure most reviewers loved it for just that reason. If you enjoy reliving horrible events from the past and imagining what it would be like if things hadn't changed in the US since 1921, then you'll probably love it too.

Another one:

All of the good things about this show is just towing the Watchmen line... which is fine, it's called "Watchmen" after all. It's the ham fisted way that Lindelof puts his spin on everything that is just terrible. There is two things going very wrong for this show: First: The ham fisted way Lindelof is curating the entire show to be about social justice isn't even cringy anymore, it's just par for course these days. Lines like "I know white supremacy, and I smell bleach!" litter the show, as if to tell the critics, 'See, I'm woke! I'm woke too!' But this cycle is all so played out at this point. How many critics from every corner of the media will call this show "brave" or "innovative" or "necessary"? The only problem is, when you're doing something to thundering applause from basically the entirety of the access media, it's no longer "brave", it's status quo. And when that same access media hails every ham fisted attempt of talking about American culture and social justice in TV or Film as innovative, it's no longer "innovative," it's just a recycled formula placating to the mostly of-one-mind critics. The second thing (which speaks to an industry wide problem): The lazy way they depict a female superhero. Regina King is a 5'3 48 year old, which probably puts her at 110 pounds soaking wet. And besides face paint and a hood, she has no discernible super powers, which means, we're led to believe that a 48 year old who weighs 110 pounds is just going to regularly out brawl a bunch of men on a daily basis. What made characters like Ripley (in the Alien trilogy) and Beatrix Kiddo (Uma Thurman of Kill Bill) great super-powerless heroes is that they didn't just roam around beating people up as if they were 6'5 265 pounds of pure muscle. Ripley used a combination of calm-headed courage and resourcefulness to claim victory. Beatrix Kiddo was a literal trained assassin, and used her superior skill with a Katana, and again, her resourcefulness, to smite her foes. Regina's character? What helps her overcome the fact she's 5'3 110? She wasn't particularly good with a gun. Her tactics of using the cows as cover as opposed to the forest means she's not particularly smart. Instead of moving Horizontally to flank the mounted .50 cal (which would have laughably carved through all of them), also just shows a lack of any sort of tactical awareness. Then once in the trailer, she didn't use any actual martial arts to beat up someone who probably had 70 pounds on her. It was just a basic choreographed fight scene that hurt the credibility of the show... In short, Lindelof (like mostly everyone in the industry) wants all the credit for casting a woman in a superhero-esque role, without doing any of the hard work to earn it. Look, I think it's awesome that a 48 year old black woman is getting to star in a tough and gritty show on HBO. I'm glad these opportunities exist now, I really am. But if you're going to do that, then you have to put in extra work to make on the writing/directing end to make sure the audience buys into the character; none of such work was done.
            That first review is funny, "has nothing to do with Marvel or DC comics"...why would it have anything to do with Marvel?

Anyways on the flip side 95% on rotten tomatoes and 85 on metacritic.

I personally don't find rotten tomatoes to be useful but that metacritic score is impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypo View Post
              Anyways on the flip side 95% on rotten tomatoes and 85 on metacritic.
              ... while the audience score continues to plummet. 49%.

Comment

Yo.

watched eps #1 this morn, and I guess the scenario is "What happens when ya save the world from war, but skin color is still an issue?"

I don't know; it was kinda interesting in that its a post- "murderous, genetically-engineered, brain-nuking lump of flesh" story, but the stakes here doesn't seem to be worth the effort......so far, anyways.

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
                Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

I think it's a worthy follow up to the title, a much better than the Snyder movie; it goes far beyond another race commentary and seems to parallel a lot of themes about violence and heritage from the original comics without coming off as a direct rip-off. I am very invested right now.
                  http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yo.

I caught the previous Sundays eps due to a co-worker giving me some details of the story's progression, and Ive gotta admit I was tickled when I noticed that they gave Hooded Justice Nite Owls profession (being a cop, instead of a circus strongman), made him a Nubian (thereby removing his pro-Nazi leanings), but kept the closeted relationship he had w/Capt. Metropolis intact (becuz sex, why else?)

also, I thought it was pretty cool to tie Sister Night (Regina King's chara) to H.J. as a decedent, and having her "remember" it all due to taking a drug called "Nostalgia" (which in the comic was a perfume sold by Ozymandias' conglomerate) that's derived from a persons memories.......so much so I'm re-thinking my avoidance of the show.

Tazer

Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

I forced myself to watch episode 2 last night. Yeesh. I enjoyed the recreation (on the stage) of Dr. Manhattan becoming Dr. Manhattan... but the whole rest of the episode was just a bunch of white guilt/virtue signaling. I already know that racism is bad.

Comment

It does lean a bit into "woke" territory, but I think it's a natural progression of the themes presented in the comic book and how extreme violence can effect generations; in fact it is much more grounded in the comic than the Snyder movie and transcends a lot of conventional thinking in the genre as a whole. I think it's kind of telling that the Tulsa massacre is not very well known to people, I've had several people ask me if that was a real thing, which plays into the idea of the powers that be controlling whatever narrative they want to feed the public, like the Dr Manhattan conspiracy. Sometimes the crazy nut-job with the "End is Nigh" sign on the corner has it mostly right. The show parallels a lot of the themes and characters of the original Watchmen and I find it to be increasingly interesting with each progressing episode (I totally called the Hooded Justice thing and the recent revelation about Dr. Manhattan).

But yeah, really loving it, hoping other people catch on to how great it is. I am tired of constantly getting socked with the "racism is bad" stuff in media as a whole, but I think it the show goes beyond that in many ways.
                        http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

I still refuse to watch it, but I have kept up on the tv show via YT videos and head spinning virtue signaling podcasts with Lindelof himself. My lord, the man is SO cringy with his white liberal guilt that I can't turn the channel!

Anyhoo, the guy clearly doesn't get Watchmen, but he found a property that allowed him to impress all his friends in his writer's room, where as he is SO fond of telling us over and over, he is the minority in as a hetero white man. Which excites him.

Comment

Yo.

so the Doc has made an appearance as Angela's husband Cal......

wow, I totally didn't see that coming.

Tazer

Comment

So the whole season passed and Robert Redford never actually showed up as President Robert Redford? Or did he?

Comment

Working...
                              X