Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Gamer Thread Vol. 5 (General Gaming News & Discussion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got home a few days ago, and began catching up on Destiny 2. Burned through the Shadowkeep storyline and did some haunted forest, but now I'm on the light grind to 960 (currently at 911).

Also got Modern Warfare last night, and have played less than hour so far, but it's pretty solid. Well built, good looking, and fast. Probably gonna play the campaign over the weekend, but until then, I'll just continue to dabble with multiplayer.

On a side note, the way MW is set up to download and install is brilliant. Each piece of the game is its own download file, so if you don't want certain game modes, you can speed up the download by simply not downloading them. I only got the campaign and multiplayer, leaving special ops and survival behind, since I'll likely never care to play them, and once I'm done with the campaign, I'll probably delete it all and redownload just the multiplayer to save space. I really hope more games do this in the future.
    Do good. Be well. Make happy.

Comment

• No, I'm not saying video games are to blame for stupid kids. Just FYI:

Thai Teenager dies following marathon-long gaming session

Comment

• Yo.

I plan to get this, but I'll wait til after Ive built my new rig (same w/Borderlands 3....)

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
        Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

• I completed the Modern Warfare campaign, and despite claims that it was a reboot, it's really just a prequel to the trilogy with retconned dates, as it leads right into CoD4's storyline. Well done, all things considered, though I think just not showing us the dates of the events would've been better than retconning, but hey, whatever.

As for the multiplayer, having played it quite a bit now I can say that it's pretty solid. Some of the maps are annoying, as always, and some of the guns are overpowered and thus overused, again as always, but it's a pretty solid game. It's already taken Destiny's place as my most played game lately. We'll see how long that lasts, though.
          Do good. Be well. Make happy.

Comment

• Actually got around to unlocked the Technician specialization for Division 2, so I'll need to do all kinds of activities to level that up. Of course, now that I have that spec open, I can actually throw together a genuine skill build like I've been wanting to. Only real problem was using pulse on three Black Tusk mini-tanks, which I had to both find roaming and get used to a skill I'd never touched before. Also had to get a lucky shot to break a boss's weak point before killing her. Now that's all done.

That said, I need to redo the builds I have and customize them a bit better, as well as go through my inventory yet again and figure out exactly what I want to do with most of the shit I've got. Hell if I know if I'll ever actually get around to it, but I should get a raid build just so I at least have a chance at using it.

I also FINALLY finished bringing my second character to world tier 5, so now I have another toon to throw builds onto. Only drawback is that since I took so long to level it, none of the specializations are filled out, so I'll need to grind through all that again. Even more painful since I still have not filled out the Gunner spec and I've had that unlocked for a damn while now.

In addition to now being able to make a variety of builds, I tried to piece together a build someone on Reddit suggested. It did seem like a good idea, but they barely described it so I'm pretty sure that either they fucked up their own advice or they had very specific pieces that I barely came anywhere near. My build is so middle-of-the-road that it can't accomplish half of what it needs to, I have a redundant talent, and I am very sure that I'm just going to end up scrapping the whole thing because it can't get shit done. Some of the pieces are worth holding onto for now because they have a stat or two that can be transferred, but otherwise I'm very certain I'll ditch this particular setup.

And the Gunrunner secret merchant is selling a near-perfect weapon (part of the reason I spent the day finishing the Technician unlock), but of course the damn vendor won't show up until tomorrow evening because she runs on her own fucking schedule rather than anything that makes sense. Once you find her location, if she isn't already there, then she won't be there for at least a goddamn day. I've heard a lot lately that she's bugged and needs attention from the devs, but this is really a stupid problem that makes finding her a worthless chore. Hopefully her stock is the same tomorrow night or I'm gonna miss out on something good.
            Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Yeah, there's a lot of weird bugs going on lately. Specializations keep deactivating, waypoints to missions are automatically on, I know I still got at least once the "transpo" dialog even though the recent patch should have fixed that. More invisible walls that hold me in place for up to ten or so seconds at a time.

I copied down NothingButSkillz's Fireball build (TU6 version) for my first D2 skill build, realized I don't have most of the pieces or stats needed, so it looks like I'm farming for a while.

But hey, my rifle farming run had a shot of luck and I received a new Merciless. I still have one of my old ones so I'll let my alt have this one for its own Fireball build.

Gonna have to look at a lot of other builds to de-clutter all my shit, go through my stash again and again to remove things I really don't need anymore and to be better able to precision-farm later on. Busy weekend ahead.

And I still need to grind my ass off in Destiny 2, because I think this week is the last week for the Halloween event and the limited-time masks.

Comment

• So I was busy farming and doing a couple missions to clean up the weekly invasion, and discarding unwanted items I've been hoarding for too long so that I can finish putting together a skill build.

Clan member calls for backup, I see it's on Normal difficulty so I figure I'll help him blast through it.

Yeah, no, it's on Heroic. My peashooter build is barely able to keep pace with 3-4 skill builds that are blowing up every enemy. I am amazed when I am able to keep myself fairly alive, only going down maybe three times and only dying twice. It's absolutely stunning work from us all because I'd heard Heroic Tidal Basin can be troublesome at a couple points (waves of high-level enemies during the final boss encounter, mostly DPS checks).

I did manage to grab a handful of quality items and got the Black T-Rex trophy to show off completing the mission. Now I need to finish my skill build and work on the other heroic strongholds.

Comment

• Yo.

I think A.P. might find this amusing.....

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
                  Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

• Yeah, I had heard the lore for Dreaming City and its associated elements was a mindscrew. I haven't bought either Forsaken or Shadowkeep yet so I can't dig into any of it just yet.

But thanks for the article, it was a good read.

Comment

• Dreaming City is the one place I haven't spent a lot of time. Currently playing as a 960 Titan, balancing time between Destiny 2 and Fallen Order.
                      http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

• 1) Took a few evenings to hash out the Surprise Punch commendation in Division 1 (melee kill 100 enemies on hard or higher in a playlist mission) for the Ambush global event. Used my 9k stamina D3 build for it because using shield bash on every enemy one at a time means everyone is pouring ammo into you from all directions except directly ahead. Oddly amusing way to pass the time.

2) Managed to put together some skill builds recently in Division 2. I got a couple of tolerably-statted gear pieces to finish off my Fireball build from NothingButSkillz, but then I looked up some other videos and found Jett4th's HardWired "endless seekers" setup. Jett said he slapped it together with minimum effort and that a proper min-maxing would be absolutely better, and he was right: I put it together with only moderate effort (mostly stat transfers to mimic his setup), and I had so much extra skill power that it was shocking (you only need 3k max to unlock literally any skill mod in the game, and I was 1,500 to 2,500 over that line). I had to switch out a couple pieces and stats to get better skill haste and less raw power since that was actually wasteful when I could use something else to better benefit/effect, and I'm keeping an eye out for better pieces to use.

But even with what I have, I'm doing serious work and tearing enemies apart with constant refreshing of my cluster seekers. It's hilarious.

I also found a stinger hive/seeker Ongoing Directive build by ViperStealth while on break today, where he inflicts bleed status on the enemy to such high effect that it murders the shit out of even heroic-tier mobs. Granted, he's got damn good mods on his build, but I plan to make a stinger build now and have fun.

I still have to get a good outline for each of several other builds (Tip of the Spear, Aces & Eights, etc), so I have a busy weekend ahead of me. And after going through my stash and either modding or eliminating extra items, I got a temporary bit of breathing room. It's pretty much full again already. I badly need to set up builds on my alt.

Comment

• So to both test the aforementioned HardWired build against a challenging mission and to try my luck at better knee pads, I ran Grand Washington Hotel just now.

Less than 17 minutes, never lost my armor, absolutely wrecked every enemy in the mission like it was on easy mode.

Guess once I have better skill mods, I can start taking on heroic missions and working through the 50 level 4 control points (at least more easily, because I'll definitely try the CP4s this weekend against this build).

Comment

• Still looking for better knee pads for my HW build, been grinding away all fucking day today. I have been running Bank Headquarters on challenging to give myself the best chances and to really see how my build holds up above hard difficulty (still haven't tried to solo a heroic mission, but I did a CP4 a little bit ago and was pretty efficient aside from random nearby enemies showing up to add to the overall mobs).

But now I'm sick of playing that one mission a dozen fucking times in one day with knee pads I can't use, and crafting has gotten me nowhere. I have to wait until the loot tables shift tomorrow and start farming after work (assuming that the brand I'm after doesn't get stuck on a damn mission so that I can run around the open world doing pop-up activities to maintain my sanity).

Some good news: I found a couple very good mods for my Stinger build to increase bleed damage; and I have FINALLY gotten the Sweet Dreams exotic shotgun to drop. I don't intend to use it, but I am glad to at last have it in my collection. Only unique exotic left (not counting alternate skin versions) is the raid-exclusive Eagle Bearer.

I also have (probably very briefly) earned top slot in my clan, narrowly edging out the usual guy. He'll no doubt swamp my score by this time tomorrow but I have a screenshot of me being No. 1 and it'll be a good memory later on down the line.

Comment

• Man that Fallen Order game is so rad, I am loving the boss fights. If you are a Star Wars fan its a must have, best SW game I have ever played.
                              http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

• So I actually took the time to farm in the Occupied Dark Zone today because I needed a lot more Dark Zone Resources (the new currency for that area's vendors) and imagine my surprise when I was checking my inventory and found out that I magically had lost nearly every single trinket I had collected.

Trinkets you find all over the open world in random lootable containers like backpacks and filing cabinets and drawers and whatnot, and some of the items are very rare. You only need them for daily/weekly projects, but most people don't really bother with those since it's always been easier just to farm gear everywhere else. Even so, losing nearly everything I'd collected over the past few months to some bug is a shame, and even though I wasn't using any of that stuff, it still provided a kind of comfort that I had the pieces on hand, especially the rarer ones. I can only imagine that it's somehow caused by dying in the ODZ to rogues, but it can't be intentional because that makes no goddamn sense on the developer's part.

That aside, I watched James's Celebrity Deathmatch and Spawn episodes. They both brought back memories and goddamn if I wasn't impressed with Justin playing Clown, he did such a good job.

Comment

Working...
                                X