No announcement yet.

How to make Legion sell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not some original idea of Trey's, does he ever ACTUALLY read the books he's bitching about?

The Legion have had stints in the past like... half a dozen times now that I can recall. Remember Legion Lost? It was a title where a group were stuck in the past! And it didn't last. Shocker. Just like Spiderman 2099 in the modern day, it just makes no sense.

Legion doesn't need some retarded gimmick Trey thinks is his original idea, it needs to get back to what made it great. Rather than begin the series with the same two dozen characters we've seen to death, bring in a few core characters and then completely reimagine the rest and give us something new and less of the same old same old. Not remaking the same characters again and again, take a few and do that sure... but then give us ORIGINALS. Not another iteration of Comet Queen.

And once in awhile, it wouldn't be so bad if one member took center stage in an arc or backup feature.

~//V\\~

Comment

Originally posted by -//V\\- View Post
      It's not some original idea of Trey's, does he ever ACTUALLY read the books he's bitching about?

~//V\\~

Comment

Every time I post something, I see lots of responses from this -//V\\- that I can't read. I know my posts are interesting, son, but go talk to someone who wants to read your posts and talk to you.

Ignore List
        -//V\\- Robinson
        Trey Strain
        Guardian of the Universe
        Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-03-2017, 04:47 AM.

Comment

To clarify -- do I think putting all your characters in the shared universe creates better comics? No, I don't. Sometimes it does, especially compared to universe building, which never seems to go well. But on balance, connecting everything produces worse comics.

The problem though is that if you keep a comic sealed off, then dogs just won't eat that fog food, no matter how good it tastes. You could keep trying to feed it to them, but why would you? You have to feed them what they might eat, not what you want to feed them but know they won't eat.

So do I sometimes advocate changes that might well produce worse comics? Yes, I do.

If you would rather that a title not be published at all than to be published in a way that might actually sell but doesn't exactly suit you, then make your case to a comics company and see how far you get with it. They might listen to you, but I doubt it. They're in business to make money, not to keep relaunching comics that have proved they won't sell.

LoS set in the future is one of those comics. More importantly, ANY title set outside the shared universe is one of those comics. That doesn't thrill me. It's just an acknowledgement of reality.
          Trey Strain
          Guardian of the Universe
          Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-03-2017, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
            Every time I post something, I see lots of responses from this -//V\\- that I can't read. I know my posts are interesting, son, but go talk to someone who wants to read your posts and talk to you.

Ignore List
            -//V\\- Robinson
            You could read them, the truth just hurts. The ideas you claim to be yours are not original [Legion in the past, comic book series bibles, etc.] and the actual ideas you have that are original are so out of left field none of them would ever happen [Mystery Command, Stretchers, etc.].

It's one thing to blow your own horn, it's another to completely ignore real facts and ignore people who don't agree with your bullshit views. I'll keep responding to your bullshit threads just so on the off chance some comic noob comes into one of them I want them to know actual facts and not some idiot's biased opinion on books he's not paying enough attention to.

But let's shift gear and focus on this *original* idea of yours DC should be thanking you for. The Legion stuck in the past... now just recently where have we seen this? Oh yeah... during New Krypton when Mon-El was a Superman stand in [during the time Grayson was Batman] where some of the Legion were hiding in the past to assist both Mon-El and Superboy.

I know what you're thinking... "that's not the same..."

Fast forward to the New52 and we had not one but TWO Legion titles. The LoSH title as well as.... LEGION LOST. Wait, is that... is that members of the Legion interacting with people in the MODERN DAY?!?

Somebody quote that, please LOL. I bet he tries to say DC needs to kill Batman and thank him for THAT idea too...

EDIT: And for the record... "every time I post something..." you post TWENTY threads in a week and I'm supposed to let the idiocy continue without saying a word? Don't get bent out of shape cause a younger guy comes into a conversation with facts and makes you look geriatric and senile.

~//V\\~
            Ωmega Man
            Guardian of the Universe
            Last edited by Ωmega Man; 05-03-2017, 02:17 PM.

Comment

You could read them, the truth just hurts. The ideas you claim to be yours are not original [Legion in the past, comic book series bibles, etc.] and the actual ideas you have that are original are so out of left field none of them would ever happen [Mystery Command, Stretchers, etc.].

It's one thing to blow your own horn, it's another to completely ignore real facts and ignore people who don't agree with your bullshit views. I'll keep responding to your bullshit threads just so on the off chance some comic noob comes into one of them I want them to know actual facts and not some idiot's biased opinion on books he's not paying enough attention to.

But let's shift gear and focus on this *original* idea of yours DC should be thanking you for. The Legion stuck in the past... now just recently where have we seen this? Oh yeah... during New Krypton when Mon-El was a Superman stand in [during the time Grayson was Batman] where some of the Legion were hiding in the past to assist both Mon-El and Superboy.

I know what you're thinking... "that's not the same..."

Fast forward to the New52 and we had not one but TWO Legion titles. The LoSH title as well as.... LEGION LOST. Wait, is that... is that members of the Legion interacting with people in the MODERN DAY?!?

Somebody quote that, please LOL. I bet he tries to say DC needs to kill Batman and thank him for THAT idea too...

EDIT: And for the record... "every time I post something..." you post TWENTY threads in a week and I'm supposed to let the idiocy continue without saying a word? Don't get bent out of shape cause a younger guy comes into a conversation with facts and makes you look geriatric and senile.

~//V\\~

Comment

~//V\\~

Comment

I always viewed the Legion as a sibling the the Green Lantern franchise in terms of the size of the fanbase concepts and hooks to each series. I feel like maybe I SHOULD have been a fan, and tried it several times over the last 30 years, but LOSH never managed to keep me interested.

I think one of the reasons for me is that there isn't a dominant main character. They don't have Superboy anymore. There's Cosmic Boy, but the concept doesn't really hinge upon him like the GL franchise does on Hal Jordan. That probably appeals to Trey's ideal of no character having an advantage over another, but for me it kept me away. Also, the older I got, I had little and less use for child superheroes and LOSH is pretty much Teen Titans in the future.

Legion in a modern setting does absolutely nothing for me.

Comment

You know what I don't think we've ever seen? I know the GLC is about to go on a time jumping adventure... what if they crossed over with the Legion in the year 3000 when there are no GL's?

The fact these two concepts have never crossed over in decades is ridiculous. Only time something remotely similar happened Kyle went into the future before the Emerald Knights arc where there was an evil GLC lead by somebody from Tomar-Re's race...

~//V\\~

Comment

You know what I don't think we've ever seen? I know the GLC is about to go on a time jumping adventure... what if they crossed over with the Legion in the year 3000 when there are no GL's?

The fact these two concepts have never crossed over in decades is ridiculous. Only time something remotely similar happened Kyle went into the future before the Emerald Knights arc where there was an evil GLC lead by somebody from Tomar-Re's race...

~//V\\~
                      That's a great point. From the 50s to today, there has never been a major, let alone minor attempt at a GLC/Legion crossover. Seems like a waste now that you mention it. You would think Levitz or Waid would have been all over that.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
                        I always viewed the Legion as a sibling the the Green Lantern franchise in terms of the size of the fanbase concepts and hooks to each series. I feel like maybe I SHOULD have been a fan, and tried it several times over the last 30 years, but LOSH never managed to keep me interested...
                        This is pretty much what I was trying to covey. It's a concept that seems like it should be right up my alley but it's never clicked for me.

Comment

Does putting your all stories in a shared universe make them significantly worse? No. On balance it makes them a bit worse. But in the modern market, you can't do anything else.

The next time DC publishes an event, watch how excited how people get about it beforehand, not matter how bad it turns out to be.

LoS has got to be in on that. It's imperative for every ongoing.
                          Trey Strain
                          Guardian of the Universe
                          Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-04-2017, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
                            That's a great point. From the 50s to today, there has never been a major, let alone minor attempt at a GLC/Legion crossover. Seems like a waste now that you mention it. You would think Levitz or Waid would have been all over that.
                            I seem to recall SOMETHING about a GL in the Legion era, but for the life of me I can't recall where or when it appeared. But yeah, certainly never a MAJOR effort to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                              I seem to recall SOMETHING about a GL in the Legion era, but for the life of me I can't recall where or when it appeared. But yeah, certainly never a MAJOR effort to do this.
                              There have been as many GL's in that future as different versions of the Legion.The most popular is Rond Vidar, who was a genius and secretly a GL after they'd been banished from operating on Earth. The next big one is Sodam Yat, who was prophesied to be the only remaining GLC member in the future. It was interesting in the LoSH just before the New52 they brought this up again and had Sodam bring about Diogene [who looked like a half cooked Guardian embryo] who then selected former villain Earth Man as the new GL of 2814. He was later succeeded by Mon-El.

The last two are Celeste McCauley and Cary Wren. The first is a living embodiment of the remaining willpower energy in this time period. The second is the descendant of Kyle Rayner who used the ring to battle an evil version of the GLC in the future.

But to the point.... Legion should crossover with the GLC. Hal and Cosmic Boy should have words. Saturn Girl should get in the head of Guy Gardner. John could give them tips to better fortify their HQ's foundation. Afterwards we don't just need a random GL in the Legion, however it'd be cool if a Red Lantern or even the Butcher entity became an enemy of the Legion's. God knows they only have like six decent villains...

DC can thank me now too. Nooch.

~//V\\~

Comment

Yo Dave, maybe an LoS/GLC crossover could make a good story for bringing them to this time period.

Comment

Working...
                                X