Getting over on stores?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting over on stores?

Is anyone in the practice of getting over on stores?

Meaning buying something, using it for a bit and then returning it?

I remember The Simpsons episode:

Homer Simpson got caught red-handed by NBC News correspondent Chris Hansen on “The Simpsons.” Homer’s father, Abe Simpson, left each member of the Simpson clan $50 to spend on whatever they wanted. Homer got the idea to purchase a bunch of items he couldn’t afford and then return them the next day.

But when he tried to follow through on his plot, Hansen busted him on “To Catch a Credit Whore.”
    I've seen DC toys that are part of the "Connect and Collect" Series on store pegs with the missing "C & C" parts. Appearently there are people buying the figure and returning without the C&C part.

And getting back to Homer Simpson, I think what he did in that episode is shady and unethical. It's like renting something and not paying any rental fee. Yes, you're getting over, but it's bad karma.
    You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

When I worked at sears I would here of people doing it with big items like tvs and shit during football season and for the superbowl especially.

Comment

I did it once. Last Halloween, I dressed as Brock from Pokémon (I don't know of any pictures, but I may be able to find some). I didn't have the proper clothes, so I dropped by Wal-Mart to find an orange t-shirt and a green vest. While I bought the $5 orange shirt and never wore it again, the vest was around $30, and I would never wear it (it looked kind of like Marty McFly's vest from BTTF, but lamer). So I bought it, left the tags on, wore it for the night, and returned it the next day.
      [center]

Originally posted by W.West
      DID ANYONE READ THE ARTICLE?!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Robinson View Post
        When I worked at sears I would here of people doing it with big items like tvs and shit during football season and for the superbowl especially.

I'm curious. What did you think of people that did this?

Originally posted by Kuhan View Post
        I did it once. Last Halloween, I dressed as Brock from Pokémon (I don't know of any pictures, but I may be able to find some). I didn't have the proper clothes, so I dropped by Wal-Mart to find an orange t-shirt and a green vest. While I bought the $5 orange shirt and never wore it again, the vest was around $30, and I would never wear it (it looked kind of like Marty McFly's vest from BTTF, but lamer). So I bought it, left the tags on, wore it for the night, and returned it the next day.
        I see. Did you feel you did anything unethical?
        You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

Originally posted by Darth_Primus View Post
          I see. Did you feel you did anything unethical?
          eh, a bit, but it's Wal-Mart, the cesspool of unethical, so there's that.
          [center]

Comment

Ha hah ha. I like that you felt some ethical challenges.

However, if it wasn't Wal Mart would you do it?

Comment

well, I think that if I went somewhere else, I'd find something a bit cheaper and/or more wearable. The question doesn't really work in that regard.
              [center]

Comment

It wasnt my commisions being affected so i didnt really care. Its kind of a dick thing to do.

I've mostly been of the "if i cant afford it, then i dont need it" frame of mind.

Comment

In that regard no.

But, it's a more of a general sense of the question and personal ethics anyway.

Homer Simpson has long been a metaphor for the ills and unethical methords of American society.

Comment

Man, I could write a book on this kind of thing.

Back in the day, I used to go to Target and buy clearanced items and return them to TRU for Geoffrey dollars. It was an EASY way to make money. Por ejemplo, go to Target and buy clearanced toys for $3 and return them to TRU for $12. Use the Geoffrey dollars to buy video games (or systems) and sell them on eBay. "Mo money!" Because of me, they made it so there's a limt to returns per year without a receipt. I call it the "Sylent Rule."

Years ago, I worked with some guys that could get me free computer and printer accessories like Ink cartridges. They would order a shit load for me and I would return them to Target and get gift cards which I used for video games to sell. "MO MONEY!!" Shortly after, they also adopted the 'limiting returns without a receipt' rule... and NO ELECTRONICS returned without a receipt.

I play Yugioh and the most sought after cards are rare, expensive and hard to find. Using the advice of fellow players, I invested in a Gram pocket scale which can be used (for drugs and) to scale out the holographic cards. While not illegal, it's unethical. By doing this, I got the cards I needed to top a Regional tournament. "MO MONEY!!!"

That is all I will divulge.

Doing things like this is probably why I don't get good customer service, although I was always polite, well-mannered and never rude to anyone. I'm pretty sure I've already received my comeupance.
                    Sylent_Asassin
                    Black Lantern
                    Last edited by Sylent_Asassin; 03-17-2011, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Robinson View Post
                      It wasnt my commisions being affected so i didnt really care. Its kind of a dick thing to do.

I've mostly been of the "if i cant afford it, then i dont need it" frame of mind.
                      That's exactly my though. And I think it is a dick move as well. I use to work at Macy's and people would try to return stinky clothes all the time. I would talk to the people in the lingere department and they would tell me countless stories of used items trying to be returned.

Comment

Originally posted by sylent_asassin View Post
                        I play Yugioh and the most sought after cards are rare, expensive and hard to find. Using the advice of fellow players, I invested in a Gram pocket scale which can be used (for drugs and) to scale out the holographic cards. While not illegal, it's unethical. By doing this, I got the cards I needed to top a Regional tournament. "MO MONEY!!!"
                        I did this. I don't find this one as unethical as some others. I'm just using the system to my advantage. I have a scale, I can use it to do this. Why not? How is it different from some other methods buyers employ for other stuff? And hey, sometimes the cards I pulled sucked. I sold them for a profit. That's how the stupid system works in Yugioh
                        [center]

Comment

Originally posted by Darth_Primus View Post
                          That's exactly my though. And I think it is a dick move as well. I use to work at Macy's and people would try to return stinky clothes all the time. I would talk to the people in the lingere department and they would tell me countless stories of used items trying to be returned.
                          That's freaking nasty!

A friend of mine works at Costco and she told me that people buy HD TV's, pull the ol' switcharoo with their OLD set and return them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuhan View Post
                            I did this. I don't find this one as unethical as some others. I'm just using the system to my advantage. I have a scale, I can use it to do this. Why not? How is it different from some other methods buyers employ for other stuff? And hey, sometimes the cards I pulled sucked. I sold them for a profit. That's how the stupid system works in Yugioh
                            I haven't scaled in years (since Light of Destruction) because I'd probably get bad Karma from it... and yeah, scaling is working the system since the game isn't balanced. Most think Yugioh is a kids game, but it's a game for people with money... and the people with the most expensive cards usually win.

Comment

Something that happens at Macy's where folks would try and return some counterfeit Levi jeans with orange tags on the back pocket label.

One of the worse things I found on the sale floor while working at Macy's was a dirty diaper left under a pile of shirt during a Christmas sale.

Comment

Working...
                              X