Green Lantern Sideshow 2016 Premium Format Figure/Statue Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Lantern Sideshow 2016 Premium Format Figure/Statue Review

Happy Holidays, Emerald Amigos. I wish you all health and happiness this Christmas season.

I got this just yesterday (a trade, actually) and I'm overjoyed. Here are my thoughts on the new Sideshow Hal Jordan Statue with a plethora of comparison pics.

I have very few criticisms of this piece. It's bigger, heavier, and more eye-catching than the first Green Lantern Sideshow statue.

The pose is very commanding. Some people might prefer more of an action pose, but I prefer the simplicity of this.

Both arms are held in place by magnets. The ring hand has a nice finish to the glove, and the ring effects are very nice. I would have preferred something slightly more glittery, but it still has a strong look.

On the base, the statue is about 24". The figure itself is 19". Here he is in comparison to the 20" Hal Jordan, the 11" JLA Kyle Rayner from '98 and the 9" JL Cartoon John Stewart.

Big Blue Lantern
    Corps Honor Guard
    Last edited by Big Blue Lantern; 12-25-2016, 01:57 AM.
    Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

One weird part of the design is the energy effect on the base. I'm not sure why this needed to be a separate piece.

The figure fits tightly on the base, which is a far better design than the Sinestro PF base. It still has some fragile edges, so take care if you buy this statue.

As you can see the headsculpt looks like actual flesh. Just compare it to my hand, and you'll see how masterfully done it is.

Of course you'll want a side-by-side picture next to Hal's most iconic rival, so here you go:

The back of the statue has intricate musculature. If you want to put it on a spinning base for display, you'll be happy.

Again, the base is the only questionable part of the design. It's not bad per se, but the power batteries seem small and a little unnecessary.

Big Blue Lantern
    Corps Honor Guard
    Last edited by Big Blue Lantern; 12-25-2016, 01:58 AM.
    Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

Looks very nice. Yes, I suppose a revolving base would allow you to see his butt regularly.

Comment

OK, I'll stop with the preliminaries. I know you really want to see the comparison pics of the two Sideshow Hal statues.

The 2012 release has the edge in color. The shiny black looks superior to the grayish-black uniform sections. The old, bright green sections are more indicative of an energy-based character than the duller green.

However, the overall sculpt of the 2016 release is far better, as is the sturdy base. While both headsculpts are good, the new one is even better. Collectors seemed to be split on the crouched look that the 2012 statue has, while the new one looks very museum-like.

I'll post some more thoughts later, but I thought this would be helpful for anyone considering the new Green Lantern release. I couldn't have bought it without a trade, but I would still say it's worth the price.
        Big Blue Lantern
        Corps Honor Guard
        Last edited by Big Blue Lantern; 12-25-2016, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Great pictures! That statue is VERY nice!

Comment

Close-up rings comparison:

The 2012 ring is a round, small design. I think it has the edge in color, but that's about it. It's part of the statue's light-up feature, which isn't particularly attractive to me. I bought this statue 2nd hand and I immediately took the batteries out to avoid long-term damage to the inner mechanisms that light the ring. However, some collectors really prize features like this.

The 2016 ring is sculpted to be a larger part of Hal's hand. It has a raised design that gives the illusion of going all the way around his finger. My only minor gripe is that the paint used to give the glowing effect is a little too yellowish.

Big Blue Lantern
            Corps Honor Guard
            Last edited by Big Blue Lantern; 12-25-2016, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Headsculpt comparison:

The 2012 sculpt has a larger forehead and a smaller mask. The eyes are all white, which makes for the best GL look. The facial features are outstanding, although the hair lacks a tiny bit of detail. The collar is a traditional straight neck, which might appeal to long-time GL fans for whom the New 52 V-neck was garish.

The 2016 sculpt is larger and cleaner around the edges. It combines with the V-shaped collar for a modern look. The head shape and features are superior to its predecessor. It also has the edge in the sculpting of the hair. I prefer this one, but I'm sure opinions will differ.

Big Blue Lantern
              Corps Honor Guard
              Last edited by Big Blue Lantern; 12-25-2016, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Happy holidays to all. congratulations to have obtained this statue. I enough agree with you for the comparative analysis. I think of the former statue 2012 to be more of 1/5 . I remain all the same faithful to the statue 1/4 hal of 2009 by dc direct . I looked that the manufacturer prime 1 studio is going to create a new statue 1/4 hal .

Comment

Originally posted by krona1968 View Post
                  Happy holidays to all. congratulations to have obtained this statue. I enough agree with you for the comparative analysis. I think of the former statue 2012 to be more of 1/5 . I remain all the same faithful to the statue 1/4 hal of 2009 by dc direct . I looked that the manufacturer prime 1 studio is going to create a new statue 1/4 hal .
                  I'm going to be very selective in any new large products that I buy, so I'm not sure if I'd want another 1/4 statue. I'm running out of room in my nerd cave, and there are always Marvel Legends and 6"-7" DC figures that I want. Of course, I say that with the knowledge that a beautiful new GL statue might detonate my ability to think rationally.

Comment

Working...
                  X