Stupid "deaths" in comics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
    ...Marz seemed to take some kind of pleasure in killing off old GL characters like meaningless cannon fodder.
    Agreed.

Comment

People already complain about too many Earth Lanterns and you wanna bring back Vicker? He was a one trick pony who got way more panel time than he should have. Dude got a power ring because he happened to play GL in a tv show... that's like some ANAD Marvel shit right there LOL.

I did like the Gambit like mask he had for awhile, or whatever you call that head sock look.

~//V\\~

Comment

Charlie Vickers died a stupid death. His corpse was just kind of shown if I remember correctly. Marz seemed to take some kind of pleasure in killing off old GL characters like meaningless cannon fodder.
        Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
        Agreed.
        And nobody bats an eyelash at Geoff Johns? Dude killed Ke'Haan, Jack T. Chance, Kreon, and Laira after turning her Red. He was even the guy who made Hal the Spectre... but no let's go on acting like Marz is the only writer to ever do some shit like kill a character who had a whole thirty appearances as a background guy.

Vicker is about as important to GL as Lianna the female Amazon-like Guardian is.

~//V\\~

Comment

Originally posted by -//V\\- View Post
          And nobody bats an eyelash at Geoff Johns? ...
          I've batted plenty an eye at Johns.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
            I've batted plenty an eye at Johns.
            LOL!

I was bummed when the Ultimate Marvel Universe started killing everyone and going to shit.

~//V\\~

Comment

Hey, I never said Vickers should be brought back, just pointing out that shitty era he was killed in. He was just cannon fodder, much like Johns loves to do.

I really want some new writer to come along and nonchallantly kill off Baz and Cruz. Do both of them in lazy pointless deaths to build up some third rate villain like Johns does to other characters.

Comment

...I really want some new writer to come along and nonchallantly kill off Baz and Cruz. Do both of them in lazy pointless deaths to build up some third rate villain like Johns does to other characters.
                Like Baz reverts to stealing cars, Jessica goes to stop him and they both take a shotgun blast from the owner . . . while their rings aren't charged.

Comment

That would be hilarious!

Comment

Do it the way Johns killed off Kid Eternity, and make it like a horror movie.

Cruz is being chased by a machete weilding serial killer and her ring isn't charged. She goes to hide in a closet and when she opens the door she finds Baz' dismembered body, which happened off panel (because he's not worth doing it on panel). Cruz then hides under the bed, peeing herself when she sees the feet of the killer in the room. Just when she sighs relief that he has left, she suddenly gets impaled through the bed by some long rod and dies right there, hiding and covered in piss. Do it in like 3 to 4 pages. In the back of some new talent showcase tryout oneshot. By some no name hack.

Comment

Do it the way Johns killed off Kid Eternity, and make it like a horror movie.

Cruz is being chased by a machete weilding serial killer and her ring isn't charged. She goes to hide in a closet and when she opens the door she finds Baz' dismembered body, which happened off panel (because he's not worth doing it on panel). Cruz then hides under the bed, peeing herself when she sees the feet of the killer in the room. Just when she sighs relief that he has left, she suddenly gets impaled through the bed by some long rod and dies right there, hiding and covered in piss. Do it in like 3 to 4 pages. In the back of some new talent showcase tryout oneshot. By some no name hack.
                      "Next month: Vibe gets a power ring!"

Comment

Oh wow. I just remembered Sue Dibney.

That time Major Force dismembered Arisia was supremely obnoxious too.

DC went on a long kick of slaughtering and maiming its female characters until it finally caused such a backlash on the message boards that they stopped it.
                        Trey Strain
                        Guardian of the Universe
                        Last edited by Trey Strain; 04-16-2017, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Yo.

cant 4get Yron of Grenda; fucker died bringing Stel back to life.

if he coulda done that, then Y not just fix himself?!??

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
                          Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

Originally posted by -//V\\- View Post
                            And nobody bats an eyelash at Geoff Johns? Dude killed Ke'Haan, Jack T. Chance, Kreon, and Laira after turning her Red. He was even the guy who made Hal the Spectre... but no let's go on acting like Marz is the only writer to ever do some shit like kill a character who had a whole thirty appearances as a background guy.

Vicker is about as important to GL as Lianna the female Amazon-like Guardian is.

~//V\\~
                            Well now, as I recall, Marz had Hal kill off many of those folks in ET first, didn't he (or at least knock them out and take their rings, with the implication that they would then die when he drained the battery). I'm not too jazzed that Johns brought some of them back only to kill them again, but had he not, they would have been assumed dead from what Marz wrote for them.

I'm not a Marz hater by any means, and aside from ET (which I thought was abysmal) I have had more criticism for Johns (after an initial very promising start) than I ever had for Marz, but Marz DID kill off a lot of GLs, in almost casual fashion at times.
                            Mister Ed
                            Horse of a Different Color
                            Last edited by Mister Ed; 04-18-2017, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tazer View Post
                              Yo.

cant 4get Yron of Grenda; fucker died bringing Stel back to life.

if he coulda done that, then Y not just fix himself?!??

Tazer
                              I assumed that was because he realized, for all his arrogant bravado, that he wasn't as good a GL as Stel had been, and he sacrificed himself to bring back Stel because he figured Stel had a better chance of actually protecting the planet.

Comment

I posted a thread here once asking how many GLs Johns had killed. I believe people came up with eight of them. I asked that question at CBR, with no malice toward Johns at all of course, and several of his fanboys went ape-shit with outrage. The moderator even PMed me asking me what I was getting at by asking such a question, and warned me that I had better not reply to him with a "snarky" PM.

This is why fanboys are and deserve to be held in contempt. If Geoff kills them, it's OK. But if Marz kills them, it's outlandish. Why the double standard? It's only because Johns has many more fanboys than Marz does. Few things are as counterproductive as the feedback that hero worshipers give to their heroes.

Anyway, Marz was ordered to write Emerald Twilight in a way it could never be undone, and he tried to. That's why it was so hard for Johns to undo it. Marz defended his killings of ex-GLs, and his even inventing a character -- Fatality -- just to do that, by saying that DC was never going to use them again, so why not kill them for dramatic purposes?

From his viewpoint, that made sense. But why did Johns kill so many of them?
                                Trey Strain
                                Guardian of the Universe
                                Last edited by Trey Strain; 04-18-2017, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X