• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lobo #11 (Sinestro Rising) *Preview/Spoilers*

Lobo #11 Preview
    Writer: Cullen Bunn and Frank Barbiere
    Artist: Robson Rocha and Ruy Jose

I swear Cullen Bunn might be a worse writer than Venditti. The moment Dex-Starr was kill I was done, the dialog was terrible.

Comment

Dex-Starr is just an angry cat that can barely speak...but he's still a better character than Lobo, so they made the wrong choice there, IMHO.

Would have been better if Dex-Starr had killed Lobo, and they changed the title of the comic to "Rage Kitty". (And just to be clear, that WOULD most likely suck badly. I just would hate it less than I hate Lobo. )

Comment

Dex-Starr isn't actually dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Booster Beetle View Post
          Well that's OK. Lobo still sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Booster Beetle View Post
            i know, but that scene was terrible.

Comment

How many times have Atrocitus and his cat been killed now?

Comment

Two stars.

So we have a "what happened to the Red Lanterns?" issue with Lobo. Since we can't put the Red Lanterns in Sinestro, nor GL: Lost Army, nor GL, nor Omega Men, they had to have this issue. Which mostly goes around showing us how totally bad and superior Lobo is to even Atrocitus. We have a new, portable (!) Central Red Lantern Power Battery, with some backstory as to where Atrocitus got the "Rage Mother", and she has some tricks up her sleeves, too.

But most of the issue is about Lobo putting bullets (and lasers, and cutting steel) into newbie Red Lanterns. Who looked pretty good in colors and pencils, with the artwork. Of course, the cat gets it from Lobo, as does most of the RLC. But then there's a surprise from the Rage Mother at the end that even Bleez was not prepared for.

An even better issue than GL. I just hate the new Lobo. So make a new cover and call this "the new Red Lanterns" and it'll be better than Lobo #11.

Comment

Anybody want to thoroughly spoil this for me? There's absolutely no chance that I'm going to be buying this, but I admit to being curious about exactly what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                    Anybody want to thoroughly spoil this for me? There's absolutely no chance that I'm going to be buying this, but I admit to being curious about exactly what happens.
                    Sure. Lobo tracks Bleez to the Reds' secret base, where they are performing some kind of ritual with a new RL (they call Rage Mother) that has a red battery somehow inside her. Lobo sneak attacks them and splits Dex-Starr in two. While the lanterns scatter and get all mad, Lobo sets traps for them ultimately killing a few, including incinerating Atrocitus. However, after he's gone, somehow all the dead lanterns are resurrected from the blood, presumably with the power of Rage Mother.

Comment

I thought Lobo was trying to get the Central Battery, too. Did he manage that?

Comment

The Rage Mother is the CPB

Comment

I thought she just HAD it. So then no, he didn't get it.

Comment

Just read the issue. Well, now we get to see a new spiffy red lantern power- blood resurrection?!??

One thing bothers me with Lobo though. Which is how contrived these scenes are where he kills people so damn easily.

The only closest analogy I have is the Duncan-McCloud-Highlander-plot armor. Where opponents are introduced that are way powerful but easily killed because the script called for it. Who knew how much of a pushover every lantern is INCLUDING Sinestro-- when engaged with the apparent bad ass that is emo- Lobo.

As easily as he slays lanterns, you wonder how Superman ever beats him. The fights are infuriatingly straight forward, like Lobo lunges and cuts someone. Or Lobo aims and shoots. What happened to all the abilities the rings have that make lanterns powerhouses?

Rankorr is headed straight for Lobo, you can see Lobo emerging from his cockpit and next panel he impales Rankorr like it took no skill at all, or Rankorr couldn't maneuver.. Or how about just shooting Atrocitious to shreds like the master of the Red Lanterns can't project a #$%@ shield from his ring????? Lobo didn't even get to use that spectrum energy drain thingy he deployed against Sinestro. Frickin' whack.

I forget the issue but I remember John Stewart setting his ring to go off on anybody trying to use super speed. Sending his ring away 23 light years when he was going to suicide himself from guilt over Xanshi and he utters a word under his breath and wham! There is his ring back on his finger.

The writing has to get better OR is Lobo really this much of a bad ass, and I'm just in denial because I'm not a Lobo fanboy?
                            Locomoco808
                            Kilowog's Recruit
                            Last edited by Locomoco808; 10-10-2015, 02:53 AM.

Comment

I would tend to agree (though I haven't read the issue, your description sounds familiar). If they really want to show Lobo as being so awesome that he can take down all these Red Lanterns, they need to show him OVERCOMING their defenses and powers. Not simply bypassing them because they all suddenly forgot how powerful they were. Show him taking massive damage, but going on anyway. Show him actually doing something special to break through the defenses they have (even if it has to be plot magic, one-off special tech, at least that's something). Don't just get lazy and show him destroying them casually because nobody acts competent.

This sounds like the Deathstroke battle in Identity Crisis, where he takes down a bunch of Leaguers at once because they are being stupid. Like Kyle flying down to PUNCH Deathstroke, when he could have used his ring to attack him MORE effectively, and done it from a distance.

Comment

Working...
                              X