Sorry, man. I had to.

Okay, so that was warranted.

Comment

Originally posted by sylent_asassin View Post
      Sorry, man. I had to.

The Best Comic Site Ever!!!

Comment

Static Shock to star in his own book this spring

It’s been almost ten years since Static Shock had a book of his own, but that’ll change this spring when writer Felicia Henderson and artists Scott McDaniel and Jonathan Glapion bring Virgil Hawkins back for a new ongoing series!

We asked writer Felicia Henderson to tell us a bit about what it’s like to be bringing the character back:

I always had my fingers crossed about Static getting his own book, again. In fact, I stalked Dan DiDio about the idea. I’m also a big Dwayne McDuffie fan, and if I could choose my real life little brother, he’d be Static! I love his relationship with his family, particularly with his sister. It feels very grounded and real to me. I love how much he cares about Dakota and that he’s a typical guy in a lot of ways. And nothing’s more fun to write than raging hormones, a dedication to doing the right thing for the right reasons, all while still trying to figure out who you are and what you really want.

Check out Keron Grant’s cover to STATIC SHOCK #1, hitting stores in May.

Comment

Yo.

do they HAVE TO call it that?!?? Im happy to see Virgil get his own book again, but DAMMIT I always hated title!!

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
          Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

Felicia Henderson No Longer Writing Static Shock
            Broken Frontier recently reported on the uncertain future of Static Shock, which together with last week's Xombi, was set to herald the rebirth of Dwayne McDuffie's Milestone characters in the DCU proper.

Shortly after, it was revealed and widely spread around the web that DC was postponing the Static Shock ongoing series, instead opting to publish a Static Shock "tribute book" first.

BF has now learned that Felicia Henderson, originally slated to pen the ongoing title (which was orginally planned for a May 4 debut), is no longer writing it. Whether Scott McDaniel is still on board as series artist, we don't know as of yet, nor who's going to replace Henderson.
            via Broken Frontier

Comment

Though it worries me a bit about what DC actually has in mind for the series, this decision probably for the best. Felicia never proved she was capable of writing a good comic with her Teen Titans stint. Giving her Static was the logical progression months ago, but that's obviously not the best of moves now.

I wouldn't be surprised if Matt Sturges or Eric Wallace got the book. Though neither are big names, both seem to be go-to-guys when it comes to random books that are doomed to fail.

Comment

JH Williams Cover for STATIC SHOCK

STATIC SHOCK Special

Below is the cover I just finished for the Static Shock Special due out some time in the near future. I wanted to try some different things in attitude. The Milestone characters always had this unusual quality to them, which I think made them pretty cool. And some of them seemed to have this Funk aspect to them. Now when I say Funk, I’m referring to Funk Music. So I decided to see if I could bring that more forward in attitude for this cover. The result is pretty effective. It still has this iconic quality that the genre should have, but now it feels like Funk meets Superheroes to me. Resulting in something different than what I usually do.

So here is the breakdown as always…

This is the rough sketch for editorial approval.

Here is the black and white version. I was dissatisfied with the idea in sketch form, it didn’t feel iconic enough, or elegant enough. The trick to doing iconic superhero images these days is that they can feel a bit redundant or generic. The sketch is a bit blah to me. So in this black and white version I focused on making the pose more elegant in it’s movement. I used all copic greytones this time around and no traditional inking. I combined that with some black color pencil work and a little inkwash, and then final touches of white.

Here is the color version, done using photoshop. In the black and white I knew there was quite a few elements that I wanted to convert to color and remove some of the line work. The color was going to play a very important role here capturing the attitude I talk about above. So I used some unusual palette choices to get that feel I was going for across. I tried to use colors that fit the character but also fit the theme or my idea of Funk Music. The end result makes some of the stereotypical aspects of the iconic image recede and something bolder come forward. I’m pretty happy with it.

And finally the logo version. This was tough because the logo for this character is a very awkward style. Making it fit in with what was happening on the cover but stand out was challenging. The end result definitely fits into the Funk Music mentality that I was trying to convey. Hopefully its now a cover that will pop off the shelf from whatever is next to it.

Comment

Don't know if posted but didio said their will also be a tribute to mcduffie in the special

Comment

Cool! Reminds me of Spectreman.

Comment

JH Williams covers are always spectacular.

Comment

Yo.

then he should do a Spidey cover........

Tazer

Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

Henderson Pays Tribute with "Static Shock Special"

In the article above, CBR says the Henderson written Static ongoing is canceled....

I should be mad but all I can honestly do is

Comment

Yo.

tbch, I was expecting that to happen much sooner than now.......

Tazer

Comment

In stores June 1, the special one-shot features a Static-centric story by Henderson along with tribute pieces from Milestone creators including John Rozum and Prentis Rollins. Henderson's main story is drawn by the original "Static" artist, Denys Cowan, a decision that thrilled the writer.
                              At least we're getting that much. Hopefully, this will generate interest and segue into a monthly ongoing book. Thing is, that would take forever.

Comment

Was the original Static series any good? The only exposure I've had to the character was the cartoon.

Comment

Working...
                                X