"5G" -- DC main characters to be "replaced," including Hal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Does that mean Mickey Mouse will enter the public domain in nine years? It was supposed to happen in 2003, but Disney is very rich and powerful.

Comment

I asked Google 'bout the Public Domain thing...

In general, works published after 1977 will not fall into the public domain until 70 years after the death of author, or, for corporate works, anonymous works, or works for hire, 95 years from the date of publication or 120 years from the date of creation, whichever expires first.

WB/DC will likely go for the 120 year mark and by then the laws will likely have been changed. Pretty sure Disney was one of the reasons for Trademark and Copyright laws being changed several years back, no reason to think it couldn't happen again.

Comment

Certainly they will fight tooth and nail to ensure that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ωmega Man View Post
          95 years from the date of publication or 120 years from the date of creation, whichever expires first.

WB/DC will likely go for the 120 year mark and by then the laws will likely have been changed.
          Will nobody remind them of the "whichever expires first" part?

Comment

I think it's safe to assume that if Republicans control Congress as that deadline approaches, they'll extend it again.

Comment

BTW, twenty years is a long time. If DC is already preparing for the transition, they're jumping the gun by fifteen years. A lot can change in that much time.

Of course though if Geoff is going to write the transition, he had better start now so he can finish it by then.
              Trey Strain
              Guardian of the Universe
              Last edited by Trey Strain; 10-14-2019, 02:29 PM.

Comment

I think it's safe to assume that if Republicans control Congress as that deadline approaches, they'll extend it again.
                I wouldn’t depend on a Democrat-led congress to oppose such extensions either.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                  I wouldn’t depend on a Democrat-led congress to oppose such extensions either.
                  They might not. But Republicans would certainly extend it. Any congressman who votes to extend it would receive lots and lots of campaign contributions from the companies who an extension would further enrich.

And of course that would involve "no quid pro quo," would it?

Comment

Of course there'll be a huge blowback on the message boards from the same people who threw outraged tantrums for years over the New 52, but DC won't be cowed by that this time because those are the very people who they're hoping to chase away.

And the company will make an obscene amount of money off the speculators.

Long-term though, I don't think this will work out well. Superman is not just anyone who you put into a Superman costume and call Superman, and to this day the comics companies still haven't figured that out.

We'll see.

Comment

... Superman is not just anyone who you put into a Superman costume and call Superman, and to this day the comics companies still haven't figured that out...
                      I think that probably applies for Bats, and (to a lesser extent) Wonder Woman as well. Sure there was the run where Dick was Bats and a few similar attempts, but I think even where those were popular it was because readers essentially knew Bruce was waiting in the wings.

Comment

I suppose if DC is serious about chasing away the last of their older long time readers, this will be the way to do it. DC wont even be a company that makes new comic books 5 years from now.

Comment

For a long time it's been stated on the message boards that there's been a power struggle at DC between Dan DiDio and Geoff Johns. The New 52 was said to have been DiDio's idea, and Rebirth was said to have been the brainchild of Johns and a capitulation to the tantrums on the boards.

I think 5G might reflect the demise of Johns and DiDio's gaining a free hand.

Comment

I think 5G is going to be looked back on after the death of the comic industry as the last hail mary by DC.

The end is nigh folks.

Comment

For a long time it's been stated on the message boards that there's been a power struggle at DC between Dan DiDio and Geoff Johns. The New 52 was said to have been DiDio's idea, and Rebirth was said to have been the brainchild of Johns and a capitulation to the tantrums on the boards.

I think 5G might reflect the demise of Johns and DiDio's gaining a free hand.
                              Does Johns even have any power anymore? Like, even an actual title at DC anymore post- his "stepping down" as WB Pres and CCO?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
                                I think 5G is going to be looked back on after the death of the comic industry as the last hail mary by DC.

The end is nigh folks.
                                I'm sure that's how some people felt about DC in the 90's.
                                Do good. Be well. Make happy.

Comment

Working...
                                X