Question on Green Lantern numbers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Green Lantern numbers?

OK I just finish reading the green lantern Sinestro Crops war trades and a couple of question springs to mine. Maybe you guys can answer it?

1. They said there are 3600 sector and that Oa is the center. They also stated that the entire universe or galaxy was like and ball with it cut into 3600 perfect square boxes that is then rectangular all the way until it hit Oa.

Now if that is the case, wouldn't the universe have something constantly going on inside that circle? how can one entire sector be missing? In GL: Rebirth it was said sector 3599 was almost devoid of life, but sector 3600 is pitch black. I always thought that sector 1 would be closer to Oa then Sector 3600 would be at the edge of the universe, but it seems that they divided it easily. Which would not make sense for one sector to be completely pitch black.

I wish I could scan the picture and show you guys but I have no scanners.

2. Are there only 7200 green Lanterns or are they 7200 Green lanterns that are field officers. If that the case are there multitude of other Lanterns as sepcial ops? Or people who cooks, desk job filers? 2 for every sector but not just limited to 7200 lanterns correct?

Thanks for any light you guys can shed for me.

I would assume there are 7200 field officers becasue there are other positions that would make the number higher.
    Do good. Be well. Make happy.

Comment

Some answers are in this thread:
      http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...ead.php?t=3706

Comment

Not sure about the sectors, but as far as the 7200 lanterns I've always understood that to simply refer to standard field officers. It would not include people like Kyle and Guy who are Honor Lanterns or trainers like Kilowog and Kehaan.

Comment

One thing I have wondered is, do the sectors account for motion in the universe? Plantes, stars and galaxies are constantly moving. Maybe not enough to have moved all the way out of a sector in one GL's lifetime (unless they age like Raker) but in his case, if he were guarding a narmal sector, he would patroll a completley different set of planets than when he started. But are the sectors constantly expanding like the universe itself? And do planets every once in a while wonder out of one GL's sector and into another?

Comment

Originally posted by Limelantern View Post
            One thing I have wondered is, do the sectors account for motion in the universe? Plantes, stars and galaxies are constantly moving.
            Do galaxies really move? Obviously planets rotate around stars comprising the star and solar systems of a galaxy that rotate around the center of a galaxy... but I don't know that I've heard galaxies move.

Comment

Yes, galaxies move. In fact, Andromeda, our nearest neighboring galaxy, will collide with our galaxy, the Milky Way, in a few billion years. Only enough for a few stars on each of those edges to collide, the gravity will tear the galaxies apart. If Earth's still around and on the edge facing away, that section of the galaxy will just be thrown away, but if we're on the side that hits, we'll be in the galactic minefield, as the two black holes begin feeding again, stars explode, and eventually the two black holes will encounter one another. A fun show, from a distance, I'm sure...*as a future Astrophysicist, I gotta know that stuff* So, I assume sectors are always slightly adjusting for such factors.

Come listen to our cast, and have a ball while you're at it! : D

Comment

Interesting.

Comment

All Galaxies are moving out from a center location. But I have heard that Andromeda will collide with ours eventually.

Comment

Well technicaly galaxies don't move, the space between them is expanding which pushes and pulls them along for the ride. And since all space is expanding in all driections all the time it can cause massive collisions. They still can't exactly explain what is causeing the expansion some have speculated it's a effect of zero point energy others dismiss that all together. It's a debatable issue but a interesting one.

Darth_Andrea

Comment

Well, if the galaxies are all moving outward within a spherical pattern... it really wouldn't affect the sectors, would it? Since they're like pieces of a pie. The pie would just be little by little be getting bigger, is all.

Comment

Well again not exactly Andrew. Think of our universe as a balloon on the outside skin of that balloon you find space as we know it. Containing all the stars planets and other junk floating around out there. The expansion force is generated by energys which are exerting forces on the membrain of the balloon causeing it to expand. And as it's streching in all directions at once it moves things around the surface. Think of the stellar material not as dots painted on the balloon but as like dust stuck to it with static. That allows it to shift around the surface of the balloon more freely. So a galaxy that would be in one sector today may slide into another a few billion years from now. while the balloon gets bigger nothing in it stays static.

Darth_Andrea

Comment

it's kinda like the shift they talk about in Stargate SG-1, why some gates don't work anymore.
                          "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                          X