Stupid "deaths" in comics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid "deaths" in comics

By their nature, deaths in comics are stupid. First because you know that sooner or later the son of a bitch will come back to life, whether the readers want him to or not. And second, the way he's revived will invariably be ludicrous.

But with that said, which deaths do you regard as the stupidest?

To me, the worst Green Lantern-related death -- or at least the most disrespectful -- was Guy's one-panel dispatching in Our World at War. Although Jack T. Chance's being killed after he was told that he was a shitty Lantern was a strong second.

Guy's death was particularly stupid in that it was ambiguous. I mean, he got speared and somebody SAID he was dead, but his powers at the time would make such an injury not necessarily fatal, and a later panel in the same crossover had somebody in a medical scene asking for "Vuldarian Plasma" or some such, which could only be for Guy, implying he was still alive... but then he was never heard from again until the goofy story where he came back, where it was said that he HAD died.

Comment

Ch'p's death was pretty dumb (much as I loved Mosaic).

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
        Ch'p's death was pretty dumb (much as I loved Mosaic).
        ^This. At the time it all but turned me against the series.

Comment

Ch'p in Mosaic and the Vulcrapian OWAW deaths were the first that came to my mind and you guys already covered them, lol.

Comment

Somebody HAS to mention the women in refrigerators. If it wasn't bad enough Alex DeWitt was stuffed in one, when Kyle's mom was [wait wasn't she stuffed into a stove? Why's it the 'Women in Refrigerators Club then?!?] only to be revealed the next issue it was a dummy was BS. Just so Geoff could have the honor of killing Kyle's mom with his sentient virus Sinestro Corps member that quite literally only served that one purpose.

Only other deaths I didn't care for was Superboy at the end of his New52 series. First he's killed/replaced with a Jon Kent from the multiverse, then he comes back out of nowhere in Teen Titans... only to get replaced once again by an even younger Jon Kent.

~//V\\~

Comment

Deadman and Swamp Thing have both been brought back to life multiple times. Which means of course, that they had to be killed off again to close up loose ends at the end of the stories. I can go forever without seeing that again.

Comment

Everybody hates Major Force, but how many times has he been brought back?

Deadman and Swamp Thing are the kind of failed heroes who should be tried out as villains for a while, to see whether they would go over that way. Most writers are unwilling to create new villains because DC would then own those characters, so this would be is a way to stop using the same stale handful of villains again and again.

Some fanboys would throw fits about it, but so what? Those are the kind of customers you should want rid of.

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post

Deadman and Swamp Thing are the kind of failed heroes who should be tried out as villains for a while, to see whether they would go over that way.
                  WHAT?!?!?!?

This is why DC shouldn't listen to fanboys. It leads to stupidity like Parallax and teenage and evil Tony Stark.

Comment

They ain't selling any comics now, Dave. None. Zero. So see if they sell any as villains. If they don't, then change them back to heroes.

Everything I propose is reversible.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
                      WHAT?!?!?!?

This is why DC shouldn't listen to fanboys. It leads to stupidity like Parallax and teenage and evil Tony Stark.
                      Don't put us all into that category. His *best* idea couldn't stand against one of mine with a reimagined 3rd or 4th stringer. I've never claimed GL constructs are lame, or that there's no diversity in Batman comics [which I'm still LOL'ing about btw], etc.

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                      They ain't selling any comics now, Dave. None. Zero. So see if they sell any as villains. If they don't, then change them back to heroes.

Everything I propose is reversible.
                      The only reason Deadman and Swamp Thing aren't selling comics... is because they currently don't have any. Sometimes it's not that publishers don't want to publish stories with certain characters, they just don't wanna publish sub par shit just for the sake of putting more material out there.

If DC listened to Trey, they'd be in as bad a shape as Marvel. You can say it's reversible, but do you REALLY think once you're waist deep in shit you're gonna get all that shit off you in no time and get things back to the way they were? Marvel tried to put more out there and appeal to wider audiences and I applaud their efforts, but the piss poor treatment of their core heroes, and constant events... it just killed the publisher. If the best idea they've got is to take a character and replace them with a legacy hero then I've gotta ask were they really fans of the predecessor in the first place? Even at his peak, Capt. America will always get replaced by another hero when his series starts to slide down. It's been done like a half dozen times now. They don't know what else to do because nobody has any original ideas anymore.

And now Marvel is just one big clusterfuck of a patchwork planet [that still makes no damn sense to me] with heroes from various multiple Earths. What about the REST of the world? Are there civilians out there who lost family members only to see them replaced by twisted doppelgangers from other worlds? Does currency all look the same as it did? Do countries? What if there were two presidents of the USA running around? So much more could be done with the patchwork planet idea.

EDIT: STILL thinking about the Marvel situation. How would Social Security work? Identity Theft? With all the people from different planets with nothing to lose, how many would go nuts? So much more could be getting done, instead we continue to see the PC era of gentrified Marvel.

~//V\\~
                      Ωmega Man
                      Guardian of the Universe
                      Last edited by Ωmega Man; 04-14-2017, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
                        WHAT?!?!?!?

... these damn threads man.

Comment

Originally posted by "Chosen" View Post
                          ... these damn threads man.
                          I mentioned it in one of the others. He's up to 11 threads now on page 1 and most are in the last week.

~//V\\~

Comment

The fanboy's attitude is, "I don't care that you're not making any money off that property you own. It's all about me, and I like your property the way it is now, so you'd better not change it."

What company would let itself be buffaloed by people like that? Certainly not one that was well run.

Comment

Charlie Vickers died a stupid death. His corpse was just kind of shown if I remember correctly. Marz seemed to take some kind of pleasure in killing off old GL characters like meaningless cannon fodder.

Comment

Working...
                              X