No announcement yet.

Kyle returns to his "classic self" in Hal Jordan & the GLC #17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hal is the only GL who's been on the JL since the New52 changed everything. Now Jess and Baz are on the same JL team. Though that kinda pisses me off, like neither of them are worth a shit alone so you gotta keep them paired up even in another team title.

Kyle in Titans is about the best we could hope for. He'll never have another solo title so a tag-team adventure once in awhile with Roy or Wally is out the window, so that's the next best thing. He better hurry though before Donna and Roy start knockin' boots.

I figure maybe since Kyle spent so much time as a White Lantern he'd remember classic Wally somewhat, same as the current Superman remembering Wally.

~//V\\~

Comment

Titans is for characters who have graduated from Teen Titans. Kyle didn't do that. Also, making him that age is the best way to distinguish him from the other Earth Lanterns. Making him "special" has failed.

Comment

I think the idea is that DC is trying to get its characters back to status quos where they were most popular, but in the case of Green Lantern, at least, they are only half doing it, thus I don't think it will have the desired effect of galvanizing these disparate fanbases.

Kyle has always been a "special" Lantern since his inception. It was brought out his ring didn't work the same way the typical Lantern ring did, and he didn't have a yellow weakness. He was most popular when he was the only Lantern around, not when the Corps is around and he's just another Lantern. Simply making him another Green Lantern won't bring him back to his most popular status quo. The idea of separating him from the Corps actually has logic to it because that's how he was when he was most popular. I'm not saying that White Lantern is a great idea, but I understand the reasoning behind doing and don't really think it's bad. The execution just wasn't the best, in my opinion.

John Stewart was most popular when he was on a cartoon with the Justice league and Hal Jordan was barely even addressed. You won't get him to his most popular status quo by dragging him behind Hal Jordan.

Guy Gardner was probably his most popular when he was in Justice League International. You would have to reform that team to get him to his most popular status quo.

So DC is acting like they're bringing things back to basics with these characters and getting them in positions when people loved them most, but all they are really doing is dragging them behind Hal Jordan, as the title of the comic suggests, and I really don't think that's what the fans of those different characters want to see. Though, I do understand the dilemma DC is in. I think Green Lantern is just one giant clusterfuck, where you really can't please all of these fans, and they make things even worse by introducing unnecessary characters like Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz to add insult to injury.

I sit back and watch some, but I've de-invested myself from it.
        Star-Lantern
        Weaponer of Qward
        Last edited by Star-Lantern; 03-20-2017, 10:06 PM.
        ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Titans has been a title for characters affiliated with the classic Titans but were never Teen Titans, just look at New Titans, Team Titans, and later... the most clever name for such a team title though... TITANS. Just to list a few examples... Impulse, Kyle, Supergirl/Matrix, Damage, Terra II, and Minion were NEVER 'Teen Titans'.

Making Kyle special has been selling comics he's been appearing in for years. It's the only reason anybody I know picked up the recent Omega Men series. Nobody was picking up New Guardians for Arkillo and Walker either. Why he hasn't got another solo title despite his fans following him from one shitty book to the next with a glimmer of hope in their eyes is beyond me. Reminds me of Tim Drake becoming Red Robin and being INCREDIBLE. Then the new52 happened and Tim just went to complete shit. Lost his history, his cool KC inspired suit, and it made NO SENSE when his solo title was so well received.

DC being stubborn DC as usual.

~//V\\~

Comment

I think Kyle, Baz, and Jessica could all die in some big event. Kyle could die in a heroic self-sacrifice, while the other two bump their heads and drown pointlessly.

Space Cop
            The Dandy
            Last edited by Space Cop; 03-21-2017, 03:10 AM.

Comment

They should do a parody story for ha-has, Fred Hembeck style. Have Hal as the Spectre, Guy as the Vulcrapian Warrior, John as a Guardian, and Kyle as a White Lantern. The story can be how they are all fighting over who gets to keep the Phantom Lantern ring.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
                They should do a parody story for ha-has, Fred Hembeck style. Have Hal as the Spectre, Guy as the Vulcrapian Warrior, John as a Guardian, and Kyle as a White Lantern. The story can be how they are all fighting over who gets to keep the Phantom Lantern ring.
                Don't give them any ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                  When somebody screws up and admits it, they deserve praise. . .

Comment

i voted no

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

So, after reading this, I'm guessing our blue Watchman remember prevented the "resurrection"? And where are the Templar Guardians?

Comment

Hal to Kyle, you are the greatest because you are the white lantern and mastered the rings.

Hal to Kyle however when it comes to being a GL I am the man, you aren't in my league

Kyle to Hal I have always looked up to you

Hal to Kyle (in Han Solo voice) "I know everyone knows"

Kyle is no longer White Lantern but is now a Green Lantern and thus <Hal and no longer the greatest anything.

It felt like a backhanded compliment. That being said all my favorite Kyle stories are him as a Green Lantern, and I felt the power ups were small bones thrown to placate fans. It's a good move for the character and the franchise but the whole Hal speech felt like a slap to the face, at least that's how I took it and I am not a persecuted Kyle fan.

Comment

Originally posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
                          Hal to Kyle, you are the greatest because you are the white lantern and mastered the rings.

Hal to Kyle however when it comes to being a GL I am the man, you aren't in my league

Kyle to Hal I have always looked up to you

Hal to Kyle (in Han Solo voice) "I know everyone knows"

Kyle is no longer White Lantern but is now a Green Lantern and thus <Hal and no longer the greatest anything.

It felt like a backhanded compliment. That being said all my favorite Kyle stories are him as a Green Lantern, and I felt the power ups were small bones thrown to placate fans. It's a good move for the character and the franchise but the whole Hal speech felt like a slap to the face, at least that's how I took it and I am not a persecuted Kyle fan.
                          They can't seem to give up the boneheaded approach that Hal has to be "the greatest," can they? Even though it guarantees that Hal is the only one they'll ever be able to successfully market.

What company says, hey, we've got four products here and they all cost the same, but this one is the best!

Who would do that, and why?

They're going to have to reboot it and show all four Earth Lanterns getting their rings at the same time. That's the only way to knock that nonsense in the head and put it out of its misery.

Comment

If multiple Batman type heroes can inhabit the same city of Gotham, why can only one or two GL's inhabit an entire planet? Now that Kyle is back I would be interested to see him go against Nero, Effigy, Grayven and his arch enemy bar none...Par(Hal)lax as well as Radu. I would love to see Guy back on Earth on like JLA and play off against the other earth heroes. I would love seeing Hal in the Justice League and his government job and his family and his earth based foes (like the Shark). I really can't think of too many Earth roots requiring John to be earth based. Plus Alan in the JSA (if the JSA is on the main earth). Simon and Jessica can be Charlie Vickered for all I care they are just diversity for the Justice League but DC should be above that. Overcrowding? Nah just use the Green Lantern Corps excuse the Kilowog, Arisia, Hal, John, Ch'p, Salaak, Guy team did. Expanding the sectors to require more Lanterns that are just based on on planet but have a much bigger jurisdiction. Let the character be where the best stories can be told editorial mandates be damned.

Comment

Never market one of your products at the expense of your other products.

Who doesn't get that instinctively?
                              Trey Strain
                              Guardian of the Universe
                              Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-23-2017, 08:46 PM.

Comment

I've never been a fan of the crab mask. I was one of those guys who called him Crab Boy on the old DC message board, and ridiculed them into changing it. But certainly the right role for him is as a GL.

Comment

Working...
                                X