No announcement yet.

The Kaiju thread (Godzilla and friends)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy crap...I didnt mean to stretch out the board like that. But that's how big my heart is.

Comment

• + YouTube Video
      ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Comment

• So i watched Shin Godzolla, partly out of wanting to reacquaint myself with it, and partly to show SC that I'm appreciative of all forms Godzilla. I caught the English dubbed version, which made a whole lot more sense than reading subtitles, and you know....I would have enjoyed it more if it weren't for all the political jibber jabber that was boring me to tears. I understand they purposely put that in there to show how a country could deal with massive disaster from a governmental point of view in modern society, but I wanted more big G. Maybe another Kaiju to tango with. And I do remember how the end baffled me as much this time as it did the last time.

I was in Target today and I happened to see a Shin Godzilla figurine made by NECA, so of course I picked it up. Toho deserves my money.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff View Post
          So i watched Shin Godzolla, partly out of wanting to reacquaint myself with it, and partly to show SC that I'm appreciative of all forms Godzilla. I caught the English dubbed version, which made a whole lot more sense than reading subtitles, and you know....I would have enjoyed it more if it weren't for all the political jibber jabber that was boring me to tears. I understand they purposely put that in there to show how a country could deal with massive disaster from a governmental point of view in modern society, but I wanted more big G. Maybe another Kaiju to tango with. And I do remember how the end baffled me as much this time as it did the last time...
          The filmmakers have pretty much confirmed that the tail thing was a giveaway of what Godzilla's 5th form would've been if he wasn't frozen. The theory is that he's adapting to the threat, so if people are the threat he would've spawned (or morphed into) little Godzilla people to counter them. As it turns out, that worked well for Toho, who would not have greenlit such a radical departure for Godzilla, but didn't mind hinting what could've been.

NECA has been doing good G toys at good prices lately.

Comment

• As someone who watches some of those extreme sports documentaries, this was pretty good.

+ YouTube Video
            ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Comment

• Am I the only living being on this board who saw KOTM?

Y'all better get chatty about it or I'm gonna go full DOOM on yer asses.

Comment

• ^Saw it Tuesday. It's the best of the American knock-off Godzillas, but I still won't be really excited until Toho comes back with a suitmation G film.
                You should check out James Rolfe/Cinemassacre's review. He hit on a lot of the problems I too have with it.

Good thing was it amped up the monster action. Ghidorah's new ability was kind of cool and I liked that he was still from space. I was glad to wait through the credits not so much for the teaser as for the memorial to Nakajima.

I hated the Mothra design. Actually, I liked the wings, but hated that grasshopper type body.

Space Cop
                The Dandy
                Last edited by Space Cop; 06-06-2019, 05:02 PM.

Comment

• If I'm lucky I'll see it before it leaves theaters, but I have a lot of issues right now to handle so it'll probably be a Netflix rental for me.
                  Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Warner Bros. Bosses Toby Emmerich & Peter Roth On Studio Post Kevin Tsujihara In Streaming Era, Disney/Fox & Potential ‘Godzilla vs. Kong’ Move – Produced By
                    As far as franchise fatigue with Legendary’s Godzilla: King of the Monsters tanking, Emmerich said that next year’s monster movie Godzilla vs. Kong “will deliver for fans in the way they were looking for” in the latest Godzilla. “It might come out later in the year, so we can deliver an A+ movie” said Emmerich.
                    Sounds like it'll be undergoing reshoots after King of the Monster's reception.

Comment

• ^That's not a surprise.

Comment

• Gotta say, I'm sad about the reception KOTM received because it fulfilled my expectations nicely. Biggest problem in 2014 was the actual amount of screentime G had....well, they fixed it. Then ppl complained about the bland human story in 2014...well, now we get a mutually beneficial relationship between the human and monster aspects of the story because they are threaded together. They mentioned Kong a few times for the setup to 2020 movie. Granted, it's just opinion and doesnt mean a whole lot, but I truly wish the movie had been received better.

Comment

Gotta say, I'm sad about the reception KOTM received because it fulfilled my expectations nicely. . .
                          I know this is harsh, but I would be fine with the under performance if the end result was that the rights reverted back to Toho and they started making proper tokusatsu. Unfortunately, neither the American nor the Japanese film industry think that way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                            I know this is harsh, but I would be fine with the under performance if the end result was that the rights reverted back to Toho and they started making proper tokusatsu. Unfortunately, neither the American nor the Japanese film industry think that way.

That is rather harsh, borderline insulting to someone like me, but opinions are like assholes, etc and so on.

What's stopping toho from making their tokusatsu films now? I mean, they did shin; are there some kind of restrictions on them?

Comment

That is rather harsh, borderline insulting to someone like me, but opinions are like assholes, etc and so on. . .
                              Ha. Well, mark I say that I'm okay with what has already happened if I could get my suit actors back. I'm not wishing the movie bad in and of itself. I just wish we weren't forced into the either/or decision of big Hollywood G or Japanese suit G.

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                              ...What's stopping toho from making their tokusatsu films now? I mean, they did shin; are there some kind of restrictions on them?
                              Yep. Shin was made by special arrangement in the window between Kong Skull Island and Godzila: KotM. This isn't speculation. I heard it directly from the director.

Their agreement with Legendary is that they would not have any competing kaiju film until after Godzilla vs. Kong. Of course, it's their own fault. And of course, it doesn't matter since even Toho us highly unlikely to return to suitmation even if they do renew the license themselves in 2022. Shin was a big domestic hit for Toho, so they're unlikely to give up the CGI route.

My guess is that if GvK is a success, Toho will renew Legendary's license to continue the monsterverse. If it's a failure, they'll probably let it fallow a couple years then restart themselves with something more akin to Shin.
                              Space Cop
                              The Dandy
                              Last edited by Space Cop; 07-02-2019, 01:00 AM.

Comment

• It was my understanding Toho was already planning a sequel to Shin because of its success. Is that not the case anymore?

Comment

Working...
                                X