Why did they make this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did they make this?

Why even make a book where Hal is tethered to all of these 3rd and 4th stringers like Kyle and John? Of course it was always going to get cancelled.

Is Geoff coming back anytime soon? The comics sorely need him more than ever.
    Tell me you hate your boyfriend and love me.

INVISIBLE SKY DADDY TO THE RESCUE!!!

You don't have to be stupid to believe in God. But it helps.

You can tell a Yorkshireman....but you can't tell him much.

I wasn't at any meeting where DC decided this, but I believe the thought process behind its creation was that none of the Green Lantern books (including Hal Jordan's "Green Lantern") were selling great. So someone thought that if they cancelled all the Green Lantern books and somewhat combined them in one, it would make for a good selling product. They were wrong.

I'm of the mind that the main problem was Robert Venditti, who, by some miraculous means, survived the culling of the Green Lantern books and their creative teams. He is not a talented writer, and he wrote bad to boring Green Lantern stories for five years or something like that.

I'm going to disagree with you about Geoff Johns needing to come back. I never really liked his work, but even people who do must realize that guy ran out of steam a long time ago, and overstayed his welcome on Green Lantern. All he did was rehash the same story line and concepts over and over. I'm of the mind that the Emotional Spectrum, Entities, and various Corps were bad concepts to begin with. Thus, he didn't really have a whole lot going on, from my point of view. He got by on bombast, talented art partners, and ever increasing threats. Not much substance there, and most definitely nothing clever, novel, or delightfully unexpected.
    Star-Lantern
    Weaponer of Qward
    Last edited by Star-Lantern; 08-07-2019, 07:27 PM.
    ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Yeah, much as I enjoyed some of what Geoff Johns did, I've no desire to see him back on the title again.

I can do without his apparent desire to leave his indelible stamp all over the GL Mythos, at the expense of much that has come before. No more new Earth GLs, please. No more retconning the Guardians to have always been evil jerks. No more overdependence on all the other colors of the spectrum.

Comment

There is a chunk of early Johns' work on GL that I will always love and defend, but I absolutely do NOT want him to come back to Green Lantern. He clearly told all his best GL stories long ago. Why invite disaster?

Comment

Originally posted by HalFingJordan View Post
          Why even make a book where Hal is tethered to all of these 3rd and 4th stringers like Kyle and John? Of course it was always going to get cancelled.

Is Geoff coming back anytime soon? The comics sorely need him more than ever.
          Kyle and John aren't 3rd or 4th stringers, they're former headliners. It seems to me that the logic was clear: none of the GLs, Hal included, have been posting high numbers of readers in the last few years. DC decided to put them all together and see what happened. It worked for short time, but it eventually faltered. If you look at the sales numbers for HJ&The GLC and compare them to the current sales numbers of the current GL title at the same point (8 issues in ), they're nearly identical.

For that matter, none of DC's characters outside of Batman have been posting huge readership numbers for many years. If you look at the top 10 selling titles now, 3 years ago, 5 years ago, etc...it's almost always the same combination: Mostly Marvel, a couple of Batman titles, maybe a Justice League book, and an outlier like Harley Quinn or Walking Dead. Not even Wonder Woman or Superman titles bring in big sales numbers these days.
          Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

Johns was a double-edged sword. He told a few great stories and, helped by a bunch of amazing artists, made Green Lantern into a top seller again after Raab had completely destroyed interest in Kyle by turning him into Hal with the numbers filed off.

But Johns, and DC, overestimated interest in Johns' concepts. Instead of leaving after Flashpoint, which would have been a great way to make a cut, they put him on the New 52 book, which never lived up to the previous volume and doubled down on the emotional color spectrum, which everyone was already tired of at the time. And when Johns left, they didn't give the books a new direction, but continued with the rainbow lantern idea for another five years! Even when they relaunched the Green Lantern books under the DC Rebirth banner, the first storyline of the Hal book dealt with the Sinestro Corps, and the first storyline of the Jessica/Simon book (another case of DC overestimating interest in Johns concepts) had the Red Lanterns once again.

When Johns left his CCO position in order to become a Hollywood producer with an exclusive option for all upcoming DC movies (all of which are heavily relying on his ideas, all of which are underperforming badly), DC backpedaled on all of his concepts. He's still writing Shazam, at least the four times a year it actually comes out. He's still writing Doomsday Clock, but its canon status remains unknown, as the other books are definitely NOT headed in that direction, despite that being the promise at the beginning. His Three Jokers book that was announced two or three years ago keeps getting postponed. The Stargirl TPB with Johns' earliest DC work keeps getting postponed. Heroes in Crisis destroyed the momentum Johns gave Wally in Rebirth #1.

It seems unlikely that Johns will ever come back to Green Lantern. It seems even more unlikely that his return to the book would even benefit the franchise.

Comment

Well he's certainly never going to return if his fans are going to be treating him like this! You all should be thanking him for pulling Green Lantern out of the loo.

Let me guess, you probably want war criminals like Ron Mars and Darryl Banks back too right?
              Tell me you hate your boyfriend and love me.

INVISIBLE SKY DADDY TO THE RESCUE!!!

You don't have to be stupid to believe in God. But it helps.

You can tell a Yorkshireman....but you can't tell him much.

Comment

"War criminals"? Try not to get yourself banned again on your first day back.

Comment

I think another thing to remember here is that almost without exception, a writer's best work on a franchise is early on
                  All the best ideas that they have waited years to get out of them. They may save some great stuff for the end of their run, but it rarely ever happens that a writer comes back for a 2nd or 3rd tour of duty on a title that outshines their 1st one. As evidence of this I would point out Waid's dreadfully repetitive 2nd run on the Flash or Johns' poor 2nd run on JSA. It's best that writers move on to other projects and not look back. What would John realistically do to make GL good that he didn't already bring to the table in the 8 or so years he wrote it before?

Comment

Lol, remember when DC begged Miller to do a sequel to DKR...and then he finally DID it and it was hot garbage?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
                      Lol, remember when DC begged Miller to do a sequel to DKR...and then he finally DID it and it was hot garbage?
                      It wasn't even really readable.

Comment

I gave my copies of #1 and 2 away. Then read a friends copy of #3 to amuse myself. I couldn't live with the notion of those 2 issues sullying my collection.

Comment

I'm a big fan of Banks. And Marz is a good writer, when he's put on the right title.

Johns should never write GL again. They should put him on Green Arrow or the Martian Manhunter, where his fanboys can make the sales viable.

Comment

You know what later John's title I really did like? His take on Booster Gold. That had a fantastic pemise and IMO was really well executed.

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                              I'm a big fan of Banks. And Marz is a good writer, when he's put on the right title.

Johns should never write GL again. They should put him on Green Arrow or the Martian Manhunter, where his fanboys can make the sales viable.
                              Banks is great. Ron not so much. Anytime they let him come back to the Green Lantern verse it always disappointing. plus he has kind of allied himself with the SJW crowd. Which is comic book poison.
                              Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

Working...
                              X