Green Lanterns #34 PREVIEW
    Writer: Tim Seeley
    Artist: Ronan Cliquet
    0.00%
    0.00%
    75.00%
    25.00%
    0.00%

I thought it was okay. I still think it's a setup for a new villain.

I liked how they tried to show them both balancing their "normal" lives with their work lives.
    http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yeah Seeley's first two issues aren't bad and definitely have a different feel to them already.

Not the greatest, but I like seeing the balance of Earth lives and space adventures as well.

I wonder if Seeley will ever use Emerald Sight, I hope not.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACK HAND View Post
        ...I liked how they tried to show them both balancing their "normal" lives with their work lives.
        I like that Simon ended up in a sector house. During that whole thing I was thinking "yeah, being a GL doesn't pay earth money, but if they so choose, they can eat and board on Mogo or a sector house."

It sucks to think of a GL even having to have a job. It's just not going to work. There are going to be times when a mission suddenly calls them away and they don't return for four days. The only jobs that can possibly stand that are freelance ones that you finish on your own time.

Comment

Yeah I don't think that getting a job would be a huge priority when the corps would pretty much provide everything you need and you can get called off on assignment at literally any time. I'm thinking it was more of a challenge for them to see if they can bring any normalcy into their lives; like having a day job. In the end I don't think it would be possible to live that life, which kind of brings me back to the last issue of Hal Jordan where he was going to meet up with Carol but got called away at the last second. Even Hal wants a bit more normalcy in his life, Hammond delivers him his perfect life scenario and it has nothing to do with the corps.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
            I like that Simon ended up in a sector house. During that whole thing I was thinking "yeah, being a GL doesn't pay earth money, but if they so choose, they can eat and board on Mogo or a sector house."

It sucks to think of a GL even having to have a job. It's just not going to work. There are going to be times when a mission suddenly calls them away and they don't return for four days. The only jobs that can possibly stand that are freelance ones that you finish on your own time.
            I think if I was a GL, I would create a home for myself like the space station Alan Scott had in Kingdom Come. I would just make being a GL my focus and not bother with a job. And have that place for any family or friends that may not be safe on Earth because of my job.

The citadel the GLs used in Englehart's GLC run from #201-224 was cool, but I could see it not being remote enough that serious bad guys might show up and try to kill everyone in their sleep. The station in orbit is more bad ass.

Comment

I did like that image in Kingdom Come of Hal sitting on his throne in his satellite tower. That would make the most sense for a GL trying to find a place to live, unless it was a construct they constantly had to "will" into existence and drain their power. They should live in a galactic "lighthouse" of sorts, something where they can see threats coming from deep space or even from the future or past or parallel universes.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACK HAND View Post
                I did like that image in Kingdom Come of Hal sitting on his throne in his satellite tower.
                I, too, thought that was Hal when I read it, especially since he made copious use of the GLC symbol. But apparently it was supposed to be Alan Scott.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                  I, too, thought that was Hal when I read it, especially since he made copious use of the GLC symbol. But apparently it was supposed to be Alan Scott.
                  Yeah that makes more sense I guess thinking back on it. I wonder what happened to Hal then? I will have to look it over again. Later they showed he had the weakness to wood still when Green Arrow peppered him with arrows. I thought there were a lot of nice Easter eggs in that series.

Comment

I think Hal was dead at the time, though I thought it was Hal at first too. In the galleries in the back, they refer to Alan Scott as the original Green Lantern(I think under Jade's description), and it seemed redundant to say that unless the character in the story was Hal, but it is Alan.

Comment

Reading more into it I guess they chose Scott to embody the Green Lantern mythos, even incorporating some of the Silver Age science fiction GL staples into the old character, because Hal was still affected by Parallax in Earth-22. They didn't want to use Kyle, so they went with Scott. It makes sense I guess, but still seems like Hal got the short stick on that one.

Comment

In Kingdom Come the creators had to use the characters currently in the comics at the time. Alex Ross hated on Kyle because he's the reason Hal wasn't around, and outright refused to paint the character. So Alan Scott was the GL in Kingdom Come. The Flash was more an amalgam of the Flashes, however I *think* it was supposed to be Wally West running around in Jay's old helmet. Can't remember if they ever called him by name in the series.

When it comes to GL Sector Houses, I think it was one of the better things GJ introduced during his run on the series. They sort of reminded me of Fire Stations. Shame they weren't used more frequently.

~//V\\~

Comment

Originally posted by -//V\\- View Post
                          ...When it comes to GL Sector Houses, I think it was one of the better things GJ introduced during his run on the series. They sort of reminded me of Fire Stations. Shame they weren't used more frequently.
                          Agreed. Presumably (even with whatever way they currently get there) getting to Oa/Mogo takes some time. The sector houses allow them a respite and HQ while still keeping their ear to the ground.

Comment

Agreed on the sector houses. A great move by Johns, having precincts/fire stations around added swttings, and was believable. Best of all, you could have them be attacked or destroyed to build up a threat without CONSTANTLY having Oa & Mogo under siege. Because those two locations are ALWAYS under siege and it got stale years ago. I wish they were used more as well.

Comment

^I love to speculate on the logistics of things like that in the GLU. Like, do other GLs stop over at them if they're passing through (like way stations)? Are they always on? Do they adjust environmentals automatically depending on what species shows up? Are the rings like keys to let you in and start them up?

I assume they're strategically placed to be either central or to avoid disputed or highly traveled space.

Comment

Working...
                              X