No announcement yet.

Everything Johns did in GL should be dumped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just take out that bad stuff that I mentioned. Oh, and Baz, Cruz and that teen Lantern too, in case anyone thinks they're not bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
      I don't think a whole lot has to be done with Johns run. It's easier to ignore all his hack garbage than the retcon it. Just stop using the characters and elements that are unwanted as time goes by.

It's trickier when flashbacks will be done of the history and mythology that contradicts stories Johns did...but whatever. He did the same thing to writers that came before him. I'm just not a big fan of using reset buttons.
      I think the main problems writers face post-Johns is that he often uses as much of the history as possible and ties too much together to make a larger story. About the only thing we didn't get were Johns' reinterpretations of Javelin, Entropy, and Evil Star....

There's still a good bit of the more obscure material creators can draw from. Lord Malvolio, Invisible Destroyer, Extant... there's so much more a creative team could do with these characters/concepts. I'm still waiting for a few golden age rogues to bridge over like Icicle and Thorn.

Robert V. finally did some stuff with the GLC I enjoyed. Starros, Brainiac, and the House of Zod were all excellent foils for the Corps. Had HJ&tGLC been two separate comics with more pages to tell the stories it would've been 100x better.

Comment

Originally posted by Ωmega Man View Post
        I think the main problems writers face post-Johns is that he often uses as much of the history as possible and ties too much together to make a larger story...
        And the difference from Morrison's heavy use of backlog and Johns was that the latter retcons them all.

Morrison is happy to throw in Kiteman or an off-hand reference to some villain who appearance in one 50s Batman comic (without bothering to explain if it was more recent).

Johns brings back Black Hand, but gives him such different origins, motives, and powers, that they can't possibly be reconciled with the previous.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
          And the difference from Morrison's heavy use of backlog and Johns was that the latter retcons them all.

Morrison is happy to throw in Kiteman or an off-hand reference to some villain who appearance in one 50s Batman comic (without bothering to explain if it was more recent).

Johns brings back Black Hand, but gives him such different origins, motives, and powers, that they can't possibly be reconciled with the previous.
          Sounds about right.

Comment

Morrison is about to write some issues of Sideways that dives into the Dark Multiverse that has several one-off characters featured. More extreme versions of Big Brain Lois, Porcupine Jimmy Olsen, Morrison's 7 Soldiers were recently used, and now even Morrison's t-shirt clad New52 Superman is making appearances.

Black Hand was one of the first characters I thought about when thinking about all the stuff GJ did during his time. Multiple new power sets, tying him to Nekron, the birth of the Black Lanterns, etc. The character was NEVER that big of a threat before. Before showing up in Geoff's run, Hand was last seen in Guy Gardner Reborn in 1992. Hand had opened a "Gentle Massage" business that was a front for illegal activities in NYC. The character and series was also written by Gerard I-can't-read-this-pedo's-stuff-anymore Jones.

Morrison takes past continuity in as inspiration for fun stories that mostly doesn't effect 90% of the DCU proper, as he's big on using Multiverse concepts. Geoff often tried too hard to one-up his last big story when it came to GL and it's DC's fault for letting him have that long of a leash. I enjoyed Geoff's stints on JSA quite a bit. And his run on Aquaman was also a great read. His Justice League had a lot of good bits as well. And his Teen Titans run was one of the best for that franchise if not THE best. For me Geoff's GL stuff just got old quick after the mega event that was BN and then DC rebooting and relaunching everything.

I can't wait to see what Morrison does with both GL and his time on the Sideways comics. I'm both excited and scared for Geoff's Shazam, but with the Eaglesham art it's a must buy for me. I'm hoping it's more like a modern spin on the Power of Shazam era and GJ uses a few old Fawcett characters like Bulletman proper, Spy Smasher, and Mister Scarlet in his stories here and there.

Comment

That is the definition of Geoffconning.

And he does it for no reason except to put his mark on everything he writes, just as a dog marks its territory by urinating on its surroundings.

Comment

That was the side of Geoff Johns' writing that I disliked the most. Him just doing HIS versions of characters that totally changed what they were and the continuity that they came through. It doesn't hurt anything to just never reference this war of light or that war of corps, its all the characters that if you want to use again, one has to use HIS take on them, or retcon them again.

Some worked out for the best. I think Geoff's Sinestro is by FAR the best Sinestro has been in the history of the series. His take of the Shark was better and something I would keep. Same with Hector Hammond, that worked pretty well. His Blackhand? I would retcon the heck out of him before using him again. No way would I continue to tie him to. The black lanterns, Nekron, and any lantern corps.

I would outright murder Baz and Cruz though. Just murder the f#ck out of them.

Comment

I would also never again admit that any story happened where any DC hero villain or supporting character EVER briefly wore any colored power ring or got inducted to one of these super gay groups. No Scarecrow as a yellow lantern. Superman or Flash as blue lanterns.

No Perry White's 2nd cousin's husband's stepson was a travel phantom 1st lantern crossed amalgamated with a tranny sailor moon. I see enough shitty cosplay at cons, I don't need it in my Green Lantern comics too.

I would also never reference any GL crossing over and using another colored ring again. I wouldn't make a big retcon out of it or anything. I would just never write dialogue in stories where the characters are talking about how John was an Indigo Lantern, or Hal and Kyle using every ring under the sun. Let those stories never be mentioned again.

Comment

You would still need to specify that the stuff that made the Earth Lanterns look bad never happened, because some people would be too stupid to get that and would assume that it happened.

Comment

Some of what Johns did can't be ignored. Black Hand as the living embodiment of the Black Entity... or something? There is a White Entity so surely this needs to be delved into.

Comment

I think someone should take another good look at Star Sapphire again, too. In my opinion, she doesn't necessarily need to be a mind controlled villain--although she could be--but she certainly shouldn't have a power ring or a corps. Her gem worked just fine. Besides, the Sapphire corps seemed pretty aimless and lacked a clear mission. I don't think they contribute anything worthwhile.
                        ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
                          Some of what Johns did can't be ignored. Black Hand as the living embodiment of the Black Entity... or something? There is a White Entity so surely this needs to be delved into.
                          I'm guessing that Morrison's new run will only feature a few of Geoff's golden era creations, but I wish that one of them would be the Blue Lanterns. It doesn't need to be a huge group, DC could just toss a few stagnant characters from other titles Morrison's way.
                          Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

I'd be really surprised if Grant Morrison used, much less mentioned, the blue lantern corps in any capacity. That doesn't seem to fit with the vibe of the direction he appears to be taking the mythos.

Comment

Johns got me into the Black Hand character, I had absolutely no attachment or interest in him before, but I'd be open to returning it more to his origins of a kind of evil genius. Maybe they could explain that when he had his super hero induced mental breakdown he became confused about who he was, make it seem like his connection to the Black Lanterns is all a part of his psychosis. He could still be obsessed with death, a necrophiliac, which would explain why his family would want to disown him, but his origins are jumbled because he has since gone insane or something.
                              http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm not addressing this to any person, but if you think Green Lantern sucked before Geoff Johns, or if you think it sucked before Kyle Rayner, then you're entitled to think so, but there's nothing I can say about it that will make any sense to you.

Most stuff doesn't get better as it goes on. After a certain point it tends to get worse. That's because the people who gain control have a different idea about it that's not reconcilable with whatever made it good in the first place. Or because they just want to leave their mark on it.
                                Trey Strain
                                Guardian of the Universe
                                Last edited by Trey Strain; 11-10-2018, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X