Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another rumor: Kyle Rayner show at HBO Max?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They're "announcing" it right now:

https://collider.com/green-lantern-s...greg-berlanti/

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/gre...ti-1203387210/

Comment

Not a single word about Kyle.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
        Not a single word about Kyle.
        Mostly because all of these articles have no idea about the link you posted 2 months ago. It can't be coincidence. It's going to be a Kyle series.

Comment

They could feature more than one Lantern, it's a Corps series after all. Which made me think of cop shows. Which made me think of Brooklyn 99. Which almost adds up.

They could do it as a Brooklyn 99 in space.

Captain Holt - John Stewart
          Jake Peralta - Kyle Rayner
          Amy Santiago - Jessica Cruz
          Terry Jeffords - Kilowog
          Charles Boyle - Simon Baz
          Rosa Diaz - Iolande
          Gina Linetti - Arisia
          Scully and Hitchcock - Hal and Guy

Comment

If they want to do Kyle and the original article suggests they do, that suggests to me (in addition to Berlanti liking him) they earmarked him because they could largely Earth-base it and save costs. But I'm sure there will be Corps and space stuff.

It really would be cool if it's like a semi adaptation of Kyle's first years.

Comment

I've wanted an adaptation of the early Kyle stuff for 25 years. But I'm not sure that I want it under Berlanti and the current DC Entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
                I've wanted an adaptation of the early Kyle stuff for 25 years. But I'm not sure that I want it under Berlanti and the current DC Entertainment.
                Me neither. I'm very worried what shape and form that would take right now.

Comment

Green Lantern > Arrow > The Flash > Legends of Tomorrow > Supergirl > Black Lightning > Titans > Doom Patrol > Batwoman > Stargirl > Deathstroke > Green Arrow & the Canaries > Superman & Lois > Green Lantern Corps

Damn, Greg, that's one long road to get back to where you started.
                  Do good. Be well. Make happy.

Comment

I'll be very interested to see this if it sees the light of day. Fingers crossed it doesn't end up a dumpster fire like 90% of Berlanti's projects do.

Comment

If it's like most CW shows, we might get 1 or 2 decent seasons, but then that's it.

Comment

believe it when i see it (and when i do see it it'll be illegally lol )

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

So if this is going to be on HBO max and not the CW, that implies that some real money will likely be spent on it. It might be more than models having catty conversations in hallways, or GL with his tech team of hot people. Also, HBO needs to get this new streaming service to hit the ground running to make a good first impression if they expect to compete. So expect this GL series to go into production quickly. We will be getting a lot of news in the next few months.

Comment

HBO Max's Green Lantern Series Will Feature Two Green Lanterns and Sinestro
                            When we first heard that a Green Lantern TV series from Greg Berlanti would be headed to HBO Max back in September, all we could think was, "Tell me more," but a tight lid was put on any and all details. Thankfully, HBO Max Head of Original Content Sarah Aubrey gave us a quick update on the series at the Television Critics Association winter press tour on Wednesday.

"Greg [Berlanti] said that I can share a few little tidbits about Green Lantern. We're in the early stages of talking to him about it, but he did say that the series, so far, will span several decades and focus on the origin story of two major Green Lanterns from Earth, while going into the story in space and Green Lantern favorite character Sinestro," she said.

The two most famous Green Lantern characters from Earth are, of course, Hal Jordan (whom Ryan Reynolds-played in the Green Lantern film), and John Stewart. There was a heavy implication in The CW's Arrowthat David Ramsey's John Diggle could be an incarnation of John Stewart, so it's hard to say whether Berlanti would double dip there. We should also consider the possibility that this series could incorporate a female Green Lantern, of which there are few from Earth — Jessica Cruz comes to mind.

Overall, it's not a huge update, but we'll be keeping our eyes peeled for casting news, especially when it comes to Sinestro, an iconic DC villain, and we can all start arguing on which versions of Green Lantern Berlanti should use.

HBO Max will launch in May 2020.

Comment

Since the first thing we heard about this show was that it'll be a Kyle Rayner show makes me think it'll be Kyle Rayner and Jessica Cruz. And they'll probably speak in Spanish to each other a lot and they'll make him gay.

Hal and John are off the board since we know Geoff's still-unapproved script for the GLC movie that comes out this year (wink, wink) involves those two as partners. So it's between Kyle and Guy, Kyle and Baz, or Kyle and Jessica. Of those, "female lead" is the biggest box for them to check off, so it's got to be Jessica.

Comment

'We're closing deals every week': HBO Max's content chief on launching a Netflix rival during the pandemic, how it's different than HBO, and the Snyder Cut
                                Clark: Earlier this year [at a Television Critics Association panel], you mentioned you were still figuring out the subscriptions between HBO Max and DC Universe [which is owned by HBO Max's parent company, WarnerMedia]. Now we know that "Doom Patrol" [a former DC Universe exclusive] will stream on both Max and DCU simultaneously. How did you come to that conclusion and should we expect other DCU shows to transition over to Max?

Reilly: There have been extensive discussions around DCU because DC is such a valuable entity to us and the depth of fandom is so important. So we really want to figure out how we walk this line for fans where we have a deep fan engagement, which is why DCU was designed, and a broader fan engagement.

That is evolving but there were high-end series that DCU produced that felt like, budgetarily, we could handle from a business model better, and bring along and service that swath of fans. "Doom Patrol" was a show we identified that had deep love for it and tucked right into our portfolio.

[A Max representative later told Business Insider that there are "no current plans for any other DCU show" to move to Max.]

Clark: Can you tease what people can expect from DC Max Originals? Can people expect movie-like budgets?

Reilly: Greg [Berlanti, who is producing a Green Lantern series for Max] has done a lot of really quality DC fare for The CW. These will not be that. These will be next step up in production value. You can expect the highest level of cinematic production values on those shows, and that's the same for the projects we've announced with J.J. [Abrams].
                                HBO Max Struts Into the Streaming Thunderdome
                                The same thinking applies to the new shows being produced for the platform. Reilly says he and HBO Max head of original content Sarah Aubrey want their slate to feel at home next to HBO’s big titles, even if they are projects the mothership probably wouldn’t have greenlit. “By definition, Max is the complement to the HBO service,” Reilly says. “We know HBO has a very clear lane that they play in. It’s adult, it’s sophisticated, it’s sometimes R-rated. Max is in all categories and all demos.” So while HBO is targeting younger adult viewers with a series like Euphoria, “They would never do a Greg Berlanti–type young-adult show or a D.C. [Comics] property that may have a younger skew to it,” he says, alluding to Berlanti’s upcoming Green Lantern series for the platform. Similarly, most of HBO’s unscripted roster is devoted to documentary projects or talk shows. Max will dive deep into the reality-competition waters with series such as the voguing-themed Legendary. Reilly says Max’s unscripted portfolio will be “excellent,” but that those kinds of shows are “just not what HBO does.”

Comment

Working...
                                X