New GL Book "Far Sector" Announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New GL Book "Far Sector" Announced

Later this year, multiple Hugo-award-winning writer N.K. Jemisin (Inheritance Trilogy, Broken Earth) will make her comics debut with Far Sector. Jemisin is currently one of the most prominent names in all of sci-fi/fantasy writing, pulling off the unprecedented feat of winning the Hugo Award for Best Novel three consecutive years, from 2016 to 2018. Working alongside Jamal Campbell, who is currently the artist on Wonder Comics’ Naomi, Jemisin introduces us to a new Green Lantern: Sojourner “Jo” Mullein. Jo’s been assigned to protect the City Enduring, “a massive metropolis of 20 billion people” where peace has been maintained for centuries because the people have been stripped of all their feelings. However, as the full description below indicates, these long years of calm are about to end:
    FAR SECTOR
    Written by: N.K. Jemisin
    Art by: Jamal Campbell
    Series debut: 2019

Newly chosen Green Lantern Sojourner “Jo” Mullein has been protecting the City Enduring, a massive metropolis of 20 billion people, for the past six months. The City has maintained peace for over 500 years by stripping its citizens of their ability to feel. As a result, violent crime is virtually unheard of, and murder is nonexistent.

But that’s all about to change.

This new series introduces a dizzying game of politics and philosophies as Jo discovers a brewing revolution in the City, aided and abetted by some of its most powerful citizens.

EW: Hugo Award winner N.K. Jemisin previews her upcoming Green Lantern comic

Comment

I swear I responded to a post like this before. Must have been lost in whatever happened yesterday.

I'll definitely be picking this up. It almost gives me a "Mosaic" kind of vibe.

Comment

^It seemed like everything for about twelve hours was lost. I also responded that I like these all-alien stories and have hopes for this.

Comment

To DC, the solution for Green Lantern is never to use the existing protagonists better. It's always to create another protagonist.

Well, if they keep doing that and hoping for a better outcome, it might finally happen. But don't bet on it.

Comment

To be fair, this doesn't seem to be an attempt to do anything about Green Lantern as a franchise. This has even less ties to the GLC and the core books than Threshold or that Larfleeze book from a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
              To be fair, this doesn't seem to be an attempt to do anything about Green Lantern as a franchise. This has even less ties to the GLC and the core books than Threshold or that Larfleeze book from a few years ago.
              Yeah, yeah. And that Teen Lantern is out of continuity. But so what? By refusing to use their existing GLs in favor of new ones, they devalue them.

I know, I know. Everybody wants to create "their very own Green Lantern."

And soon we'll have some people on the message boards clamoring to see more of this new one, the way some people clamor to see more of Jessica Cruz.

Comment

The difference with Baz and Cruz was that they were new GLs that were created with the intent that they would interact with the rest of the DC heroes in the mainstream DCU, when there were already perfectly good GLs around who could show up in Justice League, or function as GL of Earth. Baz and Cruz didn't really fill a new role. They were just sort of extra.

This character is, so far as I can tell, not going to be interacting with the rest of the DCU, but just off in their own corner, filling a somewhat unique role created just for this series.

Frankly, I wouldn't WANT one of the more established GLs to be the headliner of this new series, as that would mean they would basically disappear from the larger DCU (or else that this series, which seems like an interesting stand-alone concept, would end up getting dragged in to all the crossover shenanigans, probably to its detriment).

(That said, I COULD see John filling the role described here, especially if TPTB were going to acknowledge the existence of "Mosiac" as part of his past. I'm not sure I'd want him shuffled off to the far reaches of the universe by himself, though.)

Comment

The premise sounds interesting, I will probably try the first issue.
                  I don't want to see many parallels to Earth, I want it to reflect the alien societies and such, even though its a human GL doing the duties.

Comment

doesn't have Kyle, Hal or any other GLs i care about in it..................... i may give it a look see but if they want me to buy it it better blow my mind (or blow something else if it feels up to it )

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

I think the concept is interesting enough to check out. It sounds rather self contained, but still a little miffed that they felt the need to whip up ANOTHER GL from Earth. It would have been better if she looked human but was from some other planet or something, but I guess it would be hard to make her relatable; she probably wants to draw parallels between the GL corps and the NYPD; a little heavy handed but okay. I just hope this doesn't turn into a lame social justice story or something.
                      http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

It should star John Stewart and be a sort of modern Mosaic. A spiritual successor. Since it isn't, I won't be buying this. I'm totally against the never ending creation of these superfluous Lanterns and I refuse to read about them or support them. I would rather DC get the characters that are already there straight instead of continuing to create these new ones and giving them focus that could have gone to characters people care about.

I'm rigid about this because if people don't put their foots down and tell DC they're tired of these characters then it seems DC is just going to keep spewing them out while the characters that matter continue to be underutilized and under developed.
                        ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

This is a hard pass for me. My days of buying everything GL related are over. I have no real interest in this as a GL fan.

Comment

I really dig the lettering for the cover. I was under the impression the Young Animal titles were outside of regular continuity? Based on the original GL, the writer, and the setting.... this SHOULD have been something of a Mosaic 2.0 starring John. I *think* I see where the writer is going with it though, with the whole magic/science comparison, I'm really just interested in how that plays into the character having a unique ring.

Looking at how good Umbrella Academy is/was, I'd have like to have seen Way write a GLC story centering around one or two Earth GL's and a few aliens. His brother Daniel has written characters for Marvel like Deadpool and Spiderman, I'd love to see him write a Kyle Rayner story.

I'll check out the first couple issues for no other reason than it's a GREEN Lantern comic and not another dumb spin-off concept. If the series does well enough I'd put the writer on something definitely in regular continuity, and starring John Stewart.

Comment

Waaaaaait... Daniel Way is Gerard's brother?!?!?

Oh, and Young Animal books crossed over with the Justice League, so I reckon they've always been in continuity.

Comment

Working...
                              X