The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 5/Hal Jordan
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 4
View Poll Results: Rate GL #8
* 1 4.00%
** 0 0%
*** 4 16.00%
**** 8 32.00%
***** 12 48.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #26
greenblogger
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Really liked how Hal played Hand and then beat him afterwards. But I also liked how Sinestro gave that Indigo Tribesman a beating. Its the old Sinestro with the wrong uniform.
greenblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #27
TheHorseman
Green Lantern Initiate

So whats the 4-1-1 on the Indigo Corps...any theories?

It seems to be leading to something where Abin Sur took all these uncompassionate assholes and imprisoned them on this mysterious planet in order to do a lil brainwashing on them...

Is that gonne end up being the long and short of it?
Old 04-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #28
Corwin
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorseman View Post

It seems to be leading to something where Abin Sur took all these uncompassionate assholes and imprisoned them on this mysterious planet in order to do a lil brainwashing on them...

Brainwashed criminals caught by Abin Sur...me and some buddies of mine thought Mother Mercy would be involved but the timing is off.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #29
Jon Q. Citizen
Manhunter Repairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Q Lantern View Post
Spoilers alert! Black hand stated he got resurrected by the white light,Hal some how got a quick recharge from a unexpected visitor! Cool green bike! Sinestro shows his fear and rage?! Hal found a statue of abin sur and yes he is related to the Indies! A savior? Last page meet the latest member of indigo tribe! He has a Staff! We will get to see more of abin sur? The statue was a nice touch, power battery below? Green lantern just got more exciting!
Well Said! Loved the issue....

Is Will an emotion? If it's Spock's "Logic v. Emotion", then probably not. But consider for a moment a situation that you had to "will" yourself through something trying, tempting or painful...such as physical therapy, quitting smoking, etc.....if you've done those things or things similar than you know that it is an emotional response to "will" yourself through the trial, pain, or temptation...
“You were electrocuted by a Giant Moth. That kind of thing will scramble your brain right good." -- Boxer (in Godzilla #6)
Jon Q. Citizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #30
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Q. Citizen View Post
Well Said! Loved the issue....

Is Will an emotion? If it's Spock's "Logic v. Emotion", then probably not. But consider for a moment a situation that you had to "will" yourself through something trying, tempting or painful...such as physical therapy, quitting smoking, etc.....if you've done those things or things similar than you know that it is an emotional response to "will" yourself through the trial, pain, or temptation...
I dunno, I feel like your will is exercised in opposition to the emotional reactions brought about by those trials. What is going to make you STOP in those instances? Not a physical inablility to continue, or else willpower wouldn't help. What KEEPS you from persevering is, I think, an emotional reaction to the trying circumstances. Will overrides that.

That said, I do think your will CAN be FUELED by an emotion in some cases, when the reason you see fit to fully apply your will is, say, the love you feel for somebody. This aspect of the equation is what I would think the Guardians would overlook or deny...
Old 04-13-2012, 05:07 AM   #31
Big Daddy Dave
Knows Where Whores Go

I don't care WHAT Hal and Blackhand said, I'm going to continue to read it as that willpower is in the center between the six emotions, with three negative ones on one side,and three positive ones on the other. I'll pass this off as Johns making a goof. And it slipping by a snoozing editor. AGAIN.

BTW, this BETTER not end with Abin Sur coming back to life. I WILL get my pitchfork and torch and head to NYC.

Other than that, and that it was too quick of a read, it was an enjoyable issue. Solid, middle of the road issue.

"Edd, fetch me a block."

Big Daddy Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #32
TheHorseman
Green Lantern Initiate

I'm curious at this point as to what the long-term plans for Sinestro are...is he too good a villain to stay in the GLC or too complex a villain to not be portrayed as heroic from a certain POV like say Magneto?
Old 04-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #33
Whitey
Corpse Trainee

Finally recieved #8 today! Can't wait to read it later this evening =)
Old 04-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #34
Jon Q. Citizen
Manhunter Repairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I dunno, I feel like your will is exercised in opposition to the emotional reactions brought about by those trials. What is going to make you STOP in those instances? Not a physical inablility to continue, or else willpower wouldn't help. What KEEPS you from persevering is, I think, an emotional reaction to the trying circumstances. Will overrides that.

That said, I do think your will CAN be FUELED by an emotion in some cases, when the reason you see fit to fully apply your will is, say, the love you feel for somebody. This aspect of the equation is what I would think the Guardians would overlook or deny...
Well said, you are right....didn't see it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
I don't care WHAT Hal and Blackhand said, I'm going to continue to read it as that willpower is in the center between the six emotions, with three negative ones on one side,and three positive ones on the other.....
Wow!, quite true and probably the most correct way of seeing the emotional spectrum in the GL Universe.
“You were electrocuted by a Giant Moth. That kind of thing will scramble your brain right good." -- Boxer (in Godzilla #6)
Jon Q. Citizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:24 AM   #35
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

im picking this up next week with glc

TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #36
Whitey
Corpse Trainee

For me this was a great issue! Both Sinestro and Hal were cool and I can't wait to see what's happening next!

The definition of the emotional spectrum from Dave seems really good. Like that.

What I don't get (or maybe I've missed that) is, why can Black Hand (or the whole Indigo Tribe?) channel all emotions/the whole spectrum??
Old 04-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #37
GreenLantern888
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via AIM to GreenLantern888 Send a message via MSN to GreenLantern888 Send a message via Yahoo to GreenLantern888 Send a message via Skype™ to GreenLantern888

I loved this issue, really great show for both Hal and Sinestro. Especially the crazy and the smart Hal. I am intrigued with the Indigo Tribe and I can't wait for the next issue to see more about their origins.

Villain Draft (Best Team Winner)/Proud Supporter of the DCnU
GreenLantern888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #38
Corwin
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
For me this was a great issue! Both Sinestro and Hal were cool and I can't wait to see what's happening next!

The definition of the emotional spectrum from Dave seems really good. Like that.

What I don't get (or maybe I've missed that) is, why can Black Hand (or the whole Indigo Tribe?) channel all emotions/the whole spectrum??
Well Compassion has to do with understanding or empathizing with other emotions right?
Old 04-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #39
Ion2814
Corpse Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
Because the Indigo rings force the wearer to ONLY feel compassion. We found that out when Proselyte took over his host and Indigo-1 revealed the Tribe had Black Hand as a member. He's not trying to kill himself because he's being forced to feel compassion and only compassion. Hence the Tribe can channel another spectrum as long as it's Corps member in the area because they have no way of feeling it themselves. John Stewart, Ray Palmer, and Kyle Rayner didn't gain the rings in a normal manner, so they didn't act like the rest of the Tribe while wielding them.

The other clues are how Indigo-1 acted without the ring off to Sinestro in the book of the black during WotGL and how Fatality commented on Munk's repressed emotions in NG.

Last edited by Ion2814; 04-16-2012 at 06:12 AM.
Ion2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:23 PM   #40
Space Cop
The Dandy

I first remember them channeling in Blackest Night.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #41
GreenLantern888
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via AIM to GreenLantern888 Send a message via MSN to GreenLantern888 Send a message via Yahoo to GreenLantern888 Send a message via Skype™ to GreenLantern888

I knew they could channel the emotions, Indigo-1 killed the first Black Lantern with Willpower.

I love how Hal tricked Black Hand into showing Willpower so he could charge his ring.

Villain Draft (Best Team Winner)/Proud Supporter of the DCnU
GreenLantern888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:37 PM   #42
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

awesome read

im really interested to see how abin sur started the indigo tribe now

TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #43
BLACK HAND
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorseman View Post

I think I'm on board with that theory. I think Abin Sur tried to help out of genuine concern. I think it speaks volumes toward his character that he could find redemption in some of the deadliest villains in the universe. And I hope they find someone else to resurrect to lead the Third Army...
BLACK HAND is offline   Reply With Quote