The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV

Old 06-20-2019, 04:58 PM   #7851
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I'm posting a link to Ride The High Country in the Videos forum. Leonard Maltin talks about it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD3ZicUWObI

Last edited by Trey Strain; 06-20-2019 at 05:01 PM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:04 PM   #7852
Space Cop
The Dandy

Chappaquiddick (2017)

"I'm not going to be president."
Old 06-20-2019, 05:21 PM   #7853
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I don't know whether this is addressed in Chappaquiddick, but Joseph P. Kennedy refused to eat any more when it happened, and he died soon afterward.

An odd thing about Ted Kennedy's career is that he challenged the incumbent Democratic president, Jimmy Carter, in 1980, alleging that Carter wasn't liberal enough -- although of course Carter was quite liberal, maybe the most liberal president we've ever had. And in 1992 Bill Clinton ushered in a long era of conservatism in the Democratic party that only now is ending, but Kennedy didn't particularly complain about that.

People who were in the know later said that Kennedy regarded the presidency as rightfully his and that he resented a hick like Carter seizing the throne.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:03 PM   #7854
Space Cop
The Dandy

MST3K: Fire Maidens of Outer Space (1956/1992)

"I'm bored already."

Wanted to re-watch the riff after streaming the standard movie earlier this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
I don't know whether this is addressed in Chappaquiddick, but Joseph P. Kennedy refused to eat any more when it happened, and he died soon afterward. . .
They don't, but they show his poor health, his anger, and mention his soon-following death in the written wrap-up before the credits.
You're enough of a political guy that you should check out the movie. It was good. Ultimately, it paints Ted pretty negatively (showing a lot of the spin and outright lying but not getting into the conspiracy level), but a Kennedy supporter could still watch it and take away "he made some serious mistakes, but..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
An odd thing about Ted Kennedy's career is that he challenged the incumbent Democratic president, Jimmy Carter, in 1980, alleging that Carter wasn't liberal enough -- although of course Carter was quite liberal, maybe the most liberal president we've ever had. And in 1992 Bill Clinton ushered in a long era of conservatism in the Democratic party that only now is ending, but Kennedy didn't particularly complain about that...
Yeah, Reagan made a similar bid on the RNC against Ford in '76. It's widely considered a political death sentence (at least for an executive future) to make a serious party bid against the incumbent president. Arguably, for Ted it was, for Ron, not.

Last edited by Space Cop; 06-25-2019 at 05:56 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:09 PM   #7855
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

I had to watch a movie literally called "Murder Mystery" even if it starred Adam Sandler.
Turned out it was a 50:50 mashup of the tired "Adam Sandler films himself and his friends having holiday in beautiful settings and justifies it with unfunny punchlines every other scene" trope and a really clever comedy with clichťd American tourists somehow getting trapped within an Agatha Christie plot about a killer in British high society.
If you replaced Sandler (and Jennifer Aniston, who is terribly miscast as an ordinary blue collar hairdresser), the movie might even be decent. Sure, it would still kill off the two best actors in it first, it would still have Discount Dicaprio as the main Red Herring (I hear Colin Firth was originally considered for that role, and it would have been sooooo much better), and the maharaja is annoying as hell. But the plot works, Dany Boon is amazing (if underused) as the Interpol agent frustrated by Sandler, photography and score are pretty good, and it's always great to see Yukio.

6/10
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:20 AM   #7856
Space Cop
The Dandy

Yokai Monsters: 100 Monsters (1968)

"There are things which man cannot measure or understand."

Last edited by Space Cop; 06-21-2019 at 03:59 AM.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:58 AM   #7857
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
I had to watch a movie literally called "Murder Mystery" even if it starred Adam Sandler.
So that's what I caught my stepdad watching the trailer for! He had something on yesterday I didn't recognize but it seemed oddly familiar, and because the audio for it wasn't English, I didn't realize who was speaking.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:59 AM   #7858
Space Cop
The Dandy

The Beyond (1981)

"We blind see things more clearly."
Old 06-21-2019, 07:21 AM   #7859
robojac
Corps Honor Guard

Transformers: The Last Knight (2017)

robojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:57 PM   #7860
Space Cop
The Dandy

Terror Beneath the Sea (1966)

"Is this the world of the future you dreamed of."

Low budget Japanese co-production of an underwater sci-fi flick. Notable for having an early Sonny Chiba in it.

Last edited by Space Cop; 06-25-2019 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:17 AM   #7861
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Gun Crazy (1949)

"You're the only thing that's real. The rest is a nightmare."

A boy obsessed with guns grows up and while seeing the carnival with old childhood friends, he meets a trick shooting woman. After outperforming her he gets a job in the carnival and falls for her, but after they're both fired they turn to crime rather than get honest jobs. As their spree continues things grow tense and they earn the wrath of the law, things become truly desperate and they make a nerve-wracked last stand.

Very Bonnie-and-Clyde, but damn if it isn't done incredibly well. I really love the beginning, the rainy night in town and the boy smashing the store window to steal the revolver. We actually get a pretty good look at Bart's life as he grows up, obsessed with firearms, until John Dall does a great portrayal of him as a young man newly home from the Army.

Peggy Cummins is both charming and chilling as Laurie. She's beautiful, talented, and affectionate, but the same as Dall has a need for guns, she has a crippling need for the high life, and her fears drive her to kill at times. Her panic-driven actions really worsen any number of situations and put the pair right where they don't want to be.

One thing both my dad and I liked were the driving long-shots, during the first big heist when they're in costume and then a later shot. Just such great camerawork (though I'm unsure if it's a very particularly skilled editor or if they really did the shots, but it looks beautiful either way).

Overall a great gem from the '40s, and glad I found it.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:26 AM   #7862
Space Cop
The Dandy

North Country (2005)

"Oh, now you're the same as me?
-Oh no, there's a few differences. You don't go to work scared of what they write about you on the walls, or what kind of disgusting thing you might find in your locker. You don't gotta be scared that one of these days you'll come to work and get raped."

An excellent, but fictionalized adaptation of the real first class-action lawsuit over workplace sexism (the real one starting in 1984 in a Minnesota mine, but this one pushing it to '89, presumably to capitalize on the Anita Hill hearings as a backdrop). Well done.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:33 AM   #7863
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Toy Story 4 review.

https://www.dailyuv.com/980636
Old 06-23-2019, 04:05 AM   #7864
Space Cop
The Dandy

Life (2015)

"I don't wanna play their stupid game."

Decent (not great) biopic of Stock's famous photos of James Dean and showing their lives intersecting.

Last edited by Space Cop; 06-25-2019 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:21 AM   #7865
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
Gun Crazy (1949)

"You're the only thing that's real. The rest is a nightmare."

A boy obsessed with guns grows up and while seeing the carnival with old childhood friends, he meets a trick shooting woman. After outperforming her he gets a job in the carnival and falls for her, but after they're both fired they turn to crime rather than get honest jobs. As their spree continues things grow tense and they earn the wrath of the law, things become truly desperate and they make a nerve-wracked last stand.

Very Bonnie-and-Clyde, but damn if it isn't done incredibly well. I really love the beginning, the rainy night in town and the boy smashing the store window to steal the revolver. We actually get a pretty good look at Bart's life as he grows up, obsessed with firearms, until John Dall does a great portrayal of him as a young man newly home from the Army.

Peggy Cummins is both charming and chilling as Laurie. She's beautiful, talented, and affectionate, but the same as Dall has a need for guns, she has a crippling need for the high life, and her fears drive her to kill at times. Her panic-driven actions really worsen any number of situations and put the pair right where they don't want to be.

One thing both my dad and I liked were the driving long-shots, during the first big heist when they're in costume and then a later shot. Just such great camerawork (though I'm unsure if it's a very particularly skilled editor or if they really did the shots, but it looks beautiful either way).

Overall a great gem from the '40s, and glad I found it.
The screenplay was by the blacklisted Dalton Trumbo. Millard Kaufman served as a front for him.

The further the blacklist recedes into the past, the more shameful it looks.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:21 AM   #7866
Space Cop
The Dandy

Forrest Gump (1994)

"Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company. So then I got a call from him, saying we don't have to worry about money no more. And I said, that's good! One less thing."

25th anniversary. Man, I remember what a big deal this was that year. Sure, it's overly sentimental and corny, but there's a lot of good stuff here and I hadn't re-watched it in some years.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:39 AM   #7867
robojac
Corps Honor Guard

Batman (1989)

Old 06-24-2019, 01:48 AM   #7868
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Forrest Gump (1994)
I haven't watched that in a very long time. I remember being genuinely upset to a pretty high degree during the scene where little Jenny and Forrest are running from her asshole father, because the idea that a parent could be abusive to their own child was totally unknown and frightening to me then.

Over the years, one scene that has piqued my brain more than it already did as a child was how he was outrunning a goddamn truck. I mean, that is some astounding ass-hauling right there.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:37 PM   #7869
Space Cop
The Dandy

Wyatt Earp (1994)

"My mama always told me never put off till tomorrow people you can kill today."

Another flick that turned 25 (6/24). Probably the closest to the actual history, which isn't saying a lot. Still, pretty good; not the most interesting Earp movie.

Quote:
I haven't watched that in a very long time. I remember being genuinely upset to a pretty high degree during the scene where little Jenny and Forrest are running from her asshole father, because the idea that a parent could be abusive to their own child was totally unknown and frightening to me then. . .
I would've been 14, going on 15 when I saw it, but either way it is disturbing and Forrest's childlike understanding of the abuse ("he was a loving man--always touching and kissing her") just underlies it. Despite being a sentimental, life-is-good-type flick, they do deal with some heavy issues (though the pace of the movie doesn't let them linger).

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojac View Post
Batman (1989)...
Yea, someone else celebrated too.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:07 AM   #7870
robojac
Corps Honor Guard

TMNT (2007)

Old 06-27-2019, 01:54 AM   #7871
Space Cop
The Dandy

The Killer Shrews and
The Giant Gila Monster (1959)

"Why, that's as big as a full-grown wolf!"
"I ask you what time it is and you tell me how to build a clock."

Last night (6/25), the family and I watched these together (which were made by the same people and released as a drive-in double bill exactly 60 years earlier). I grew up with GGM as a fam favorite.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:25 AM   #7872
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Did you remember to raise a knee while watching Giant Gila Monster? If not, shame on you.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:27 AM   #7873
Space Cop
The Dandy

City of God (2002)

"I can read only the pictures."

Quote:
Did you remember to raise a knee while watching Giant Gila Monster? If not, shame on you.
We counted them out. My mom doesn't remember watching the MST3K version of either movie, though I know I've watched them with and without her.

Last edited by Space Cop; 07-01-2019 at 04:56 AM.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:12 AM   #7874
robojac
Corps Honor Guard

Batman Vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2019)

Old 06-28-2019, 03:09 PM   #7875
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
The Killer Shrews and
The Giant Gila Monster (1959)

"Why, that's as big as a full-grown wolf!"
"I ask you what time it is and you tell me how to build a clock."

Last night (6/25), the family and I watched these together (which were made by the same people and released as a drive-in double bill exactly 60 years earlier). I grew up with GGM as a fam favorite.
These two movies were produced by Ken Curtis, who played Festus on Gunsmoke for 13 seasons.