The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV
View Poll Results: What did you think about Zack Snyder's Justice League?
It was amazing! 2 66.67%
It was okay. 0 0%
It was better than the theatrical cut, but still just so so. 1 33.33%
The theatrical cut was better. 0 0%
It was terrible! 0 0%
It was too long to sit through. 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-2021, 11:45 PM   #1
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

Default Zack Snyder's Justice League

I'm honestly quite surprised that no one has made a thread about this yet. But whatever, here we go. So what did everyone here think about Zack Snyder's Justice League?

Like it? Love it? Hate it for some reason? I'm curious to know.

Personally, as a fan of Snyder's previous two DCEU films, I thought it was phenomenal. Granted I liked Joss Whedon's cut, as well, but this was so good it makes that version retroactively worse. Still not terrible, but worse -- and kind of weird, really. It's amazing how different they are, but cutting out a half hour and then adding in two and half more was bound to make it so. Ultimately, its an amazing declaration of how great Snyder's vision was/is, and a sad commentary on how foolish WB execs can be (not that that should suprise any DC fan at this point).

But that's just my opinion. You all know that I'm sort of just a gushing fangirl when it comes to DC movie, arguably being far too forgiving at times (I own and can enjoy both Catwoman and Jonah Hex, after all), so take it as you will.

But yeah, what are your thought?
Old 04-05-2021, 12:04 AM   #2
Space Cop
The Dandy

I still haven't seen either cut, but of the ever have a blu ray with both, I'll probably get that.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:10 AM   #3
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I still haven't seen either cut, but of the ever have a blu ray with both, I'll probably get that.
I don't think that they'll ever do that, honestly. They are planning on releasing the Snyder cut on BD later this year, but with how much Snyder and company have slammed the Whedon cut (though Zack has never seen it, as his wife and Christopher Nolan both told him not to), I really doubt it will be included. But it's pretty cheap now, anyway, so if you really wanted it for comparison's sake you could get it for like $10 or so.
Old 04-05-2021, 12:16 PM   #4
Space Cop
The Dandy

^Makes sense. I’ll probably do that. I should watch the original cut and give it some time before seeing the Snyder cut anyway (I don’t plan to get HBO Max).
Old 04-06-2021, 02:48 PM   #5
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I thought it was shit, but a nicer shade of brown than the Whedon cut. I'm ready for Snyder to go back to being banned from working on my pet favorite heroes.
Old 04-06-2021, 05:37 PM   #6
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
I thought it was shit, but a nicer shade of brown than the Whedon cut. I'm ready for Snyder to go back to being banned from working on my pet favorite heroes.
Hes usually a hit or miss for me but i loved the Snyder cut. I loved his dawn of the dead with james gunn

Anything you say can and will be used against you
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:17 PM   #7
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
Hes usually a hit or miss for me but i loved the Snyder cut. I loved his dawn of the dead with james gunn
I liked Dawn of the Dead too, quite a bit. I also liked 300 and Watchmen. But after those first 3 movies he hasn't done anything I've liked.
Old 04-07-2021, 01:10 AM   #8
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
I liked Dawn of the Dead too, quite a bit. I also liked 300 and Watchmen. But after those first 3 movies he hasn't done anything I've liked.
I liked Watchmen enough to buy the blu-ray, but I really think (while nailing the visuals and much of the plot points) he missed the tone; making it the very thing (cool, actiony superheroes) Moore satirized.
Old 04-07-2021, 02:14 AM   #9
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
I still never saw 300 im ashamed to say ._._. I know i have to watch it. Loved watchman but need to watch the series. I like his wonder woman in this than i did in 84 same for the amazons they imo were bad ass and thats the wonder woman i want more of enough with the love stories already show her god strength already. I Loved man of steel and thats coming from a guy who hated superman. I loved the concept of him choosing his path and a son of 2 worlds .With the right people Snyder can do some fantastic films . Now if theres one thing Snyder needs to change is its the use of cgi for everything. I mean how cool would it of been to see Martian manhunter dark seid Stephen wolf and parademons in old school prosthetics? That could of been more realistic. I thought cyborg was really fleshed out and the heart of the film .to bad the actor is a winey twat waffle who needs his vagina powered. Its like dude be greatfull because how many black actors would love to fill those shoes?

Last edited by TazzMission; 04-07-2021 at 02:21 AM.
Old 04-07-2021, 03:12 AM   #10
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
. . . I Loved man of steel and thats coming from a guy who hated superman. I loved the concept of him choosing his path and a son of 2 worlds . . .
Well, that makes sense. It's a very unSuperman "Superman" movie.
Old 04-07-2021, 03:13 AM   #11
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Well, that makes sense. It's a very unSuperman "Superman" movie.
In your opinion what makes it unsuperman? Im really curious

Old 04-07-2021, 03:18 AM   #12
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
In your opinion what makes it unsuperman? Im really curious
Having Superman kill and fight recklessly. Making Jonathan Kent (who should be the one to instill selflessness in Clark) the kind of guy who would tell his son to protect himself instead of saving others. Both are counter to what we've been told is at the core of who he is. It's also tonally too dark for a character who is pretty much the least dark.
Old 04-07-2021, 03:30 AM   #13
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Having Superman kill and fight recklessly. Making Jonathan Kent (who should be the one to instill selflessness in Clark) the kind of guy who would tell his son to protect himself instead of saving others. Both are counter to what we've been told is at the core of who he is. It's also tonally too dark for a character who is pretty much the least dark.
Isn't it fair to argue though pa kent was watching out for clark in terms of how the world see's him and learning tragedy ? I mean clark never really experienced tragedy until that. Also Isn't it fair to argue clark is just learning hence being reckless? I mean he just found out his TRUE identity but also questioning his humanity. Ask yourself this how would we as a people react if superman was real? Would we be afraid ? Would we accept it? Does religious beliefes of all faiths become obsolete? These are questions people ask every day in terms of a divine being or aliens. I like how man of steel didnt show him as hey everyone loves me nobody questions my intentions . As for the killing of zod i see it as a lesson of ok i hated that i had to kill. Superman shows hes emotional after . Its not like he turned evil and just offed a civilian. I also feel they really humanized him because he dosent get arrogant if anything the military scene where he turns himself in shows his selflessness.

Last edited by TazzMission; 04-07-2021 at 03:38 AM.
Old 04-07-2021, 03:59 AM   #14
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

Also, Superman kills. Zod in particular has been killed by him multiple times, even before Man of Steel was made. He also knocks people through buildings all the time, but for the general recklessness -- like when he accidentally causes a gas pump to blow -- that was done to show why he becomes so careful later on. He wasn't the big blue Boy Scout in that movie, he was still figuring it all out. Hell, even in BvS, he was still figuring stuff out. I really don't get how these arguments are even still being made; I would've thought they'd die out in the several years that have passed since that movie came out.
Old 04-07-2021, 01:09 PM   #15
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrylakks View Post
...I really don't get how these arguments are even still being made; I would've thought they'd die out in the several years that have passed since that movie came out.
It’s a tonal thing. For a lot of us, MoS and BvS don’t feel like Superman and are way too dark. That’s why it’s still an issue. Snyder was questioned about this and said “hey, Batman didn’t get raped.” That’s Trump-like tone deafness.

It hasn’t been answered with “well, he’s done dark stuff before.” All these characters have 80+ years of history that includes inconsistencies like Batman carrying a gun. It’s not a good excuse to double down on it.

Take #2. Even if he kills Zod and co. (that’s a bit unclear, but I’d go with it for argument’s sake), the movie doesn’t focus on it. He doesn’t break his neck and then show the body. It’s more like a cartoon fight and immediately moves on to a scene of patriotism and universal hope.

If you don’t see that as different, good for you. I’m honestly not trying to convert anyone. I own the movies too. I just don’t enjoy them (or probably re-watch them) as much as you.

Last edited by Space Cop; 04-07-2021 at 01:11 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 02:12 PM   #16
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
It’s a tonal thing. For a lot of us, MoS and BvS don’t feel like Superman and are way too dark. That’s why it’s still an issue. Snyder was questioned about this and said “hey, Batman didn’t get raped.” That’s Trump-like tone deafness.
Bvs i only liked the first half the rest was blah. Imo they should of made it a worlds finest film like the animation instead of a vs. Also wasnt there very old batman comics where he killed a guy by kicking his head back causing it to break or snap ? Im not saying make batman a killer but i think he did once so if im correct it shouldnt be a taboo to discuss or ignored

Last edited by TazzMission; 04-07-2021 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-07-2021, 02:13 PM   #17
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

To my mind the very worst thing about Man of Steel was the representation of Jonathan Kent. There were other things I didn't like, but that's the one that still makes me mad every time I think of it. In Man of Steel, Clark basically becomes a hero IN SPITE of the influence of his human father, not because of it.

Grrrr. Now I'm thinking about it again.
Old 04-07-2021, 02:22 PM   #18
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
To my mind the very worst thing about Man of Steel was the representation of Jonathan Kent. There were other things I didn't like, but that's the one that still makes me mad every time I think of it. In Man of Steel, Clark basically becomes a hero IN SPITE of the influence of his human father, not because of it.

Grrrr. Now I'm thinking about it again.
Heres the thing if us fans of anything nitpick every little thing thats very small we all would hate everything. I read recently the new superman and lois show was asked to make ma and pa kent black cw said no and the writer who pitched it had a fit cried racism and they fired her for being a headache by saying shit on twitter. Its one thing to change very small things but to completely change how a character was written since the 30s is a slap in the face. And before the neckbeard sjw pc keyboard warriors get defensive and say tazz your a biggot multiverses exist ect theres nothing racist sexist or phobic about disagreeing on things nor should i be labelled as such. If i were to draw a comic where white people like myself were locked in concentration camps and made a black adolf Hitler wearing a swastika patch calling it a alternative reality my life Would be over or id be dead. So alternative reality and multiverse is a bull shit cop out and they only benefit a specific agenda. Cant say parallel reality exists and say certain things do excluding other scenarios

Last edited by TazzMission; 04-07-2021 at 02:36 PM.