Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wouldn't say NOBODY would buy new books about new characters, but it certainly seems a lot harder to get people to buy new books about new characters (minority or not) than to try to draw people in to established books that they were already aware of, through various means.

Comment

• Yo.

wow, that was FAST!!!: https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/swa...ed-1203234773/

‘Swamp Thing’ Canceled After One Season at DC Universe

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
      Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tazer View Post
        REPORT: Swamp Thing Cancellation Tied to North Carolina Accounting Error
        After news broke earlier this morning regarding the cancellation of DC Universe's Swamp Thing, a new report states the real reason the plug was pulled on the live-action series comes down to an accounting error made by the state of North Carolina.

The initial report claims WarnerMedia executives did not like the direction of the show, leading them to cancel the series. However, Movies.com writer John Gholson reports North Carolina promised WarnerMedia a $40 million tax rebate that ended up getting diminished because of a paperwork error. The $40 million would have covered half of the first season's budget, which is estimated to be at $80 million.

The error also reportedly played a factor in the Season 1 production ending early back in April, with the season's episode count trimmed from 13 to 10. Once the error was discovered, WarnerMedia shut down production since the studio would be paying more for the series than it originally thought.

With North Carolina's adjusted tax break now sitting around $13 million, it doesn't make financial sense for WarnerMedia to continue producing Swamp Thing. Star News Online reported on the North Carolina accounting error in April, and followed it up with another article citing how much the state can actually commit to television filming.

Comment

• Originally posted by W.West View Post
          WHAT?
          Tell me a single new character of color at DC or Marvel whose book lasted for more than 18 issues. A single queer character who didn't take over their predecessor's role and is still around in their own title.

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
            Tell me a single new character of color at DC or Marvel whose book lasted for more than 18 issues. A single queer character who didn't take over their predecessor's role and is still around in their own title.
            Don't do that. Don't add to your comments after the fact and ask me to argue against it. Why DC? Why Marvel? Its the same pool of fans reading all these comics. Arguably the best book on the stands (when its on the stands) features both queer and minority characters and they're 1000% original. Saga is great 9/10 times its available. Also, why 18? lol

My reaction was to the thought that because it hasn't sold, means it shouldn't be sold. At the end of the day, it comes down to writing/story. If Ivan Reis is drawing Cyborg, that's awesome. More eyes on Cyborg, but if no one cares about the story, they won't care about the character.

And I'm certainly not advocating for the legacy role switch method either. It could work, but its lazy storytelling and like I said above...it comes down to story. Saying "no one is going to buy those books" is admitting its your fault. I blame you now. You should buy those books then. Because now I want to call you and anyone who agrees with that sentiment, racist. No one is going to buy a book with a minority lead? I don't like Bryan Edward Hill all that much but that's exactly the reason why I bought Michael Cray. Oh yeah, and because another book made me give a shit prior.

Instead of me telling you that there are people out there yearning for GOOD FUCKING STORIES with these minority characters, why don't you tell me something. Why don't you tell me why you think people won't buy a minority led book with a new character?

Comment

• I really enjoyed Sideways....

Comment

It was just one of those things that got into the air and was GOING TO HAPPEN, regardless. If it hadn't been tried, then a lot of people would have kept claiming that it would have worked, if it had just been tried.

Comment

• I'm not arguing that they shouldn't be sold. They should be sold. And they should sell. I want a market that sustains Xero, and John Henry Irons (who made it all the way to #50, but also had the advantage of being launched out of the biggest Superman event ever, appearing in Man of Steel for months before launching his own spinoff), and Static, and Ryan Choi, and Jason Rusch, and Batwing, and Mr. Terrific, and Vibe (his New52 book was really great), and Katana, and Vixen, and so on. But we don't have that market, they all keep getting cancelled during their first year, or 18 months in. Cyborg gets series after series cancelled, and he is old enough to have been on Super Friends, and also he's been on the Justice League in every roster and in every medium for eight years straight.

Marvel ties their new minority characters to existing franchises (Miles Morales, Silk, Amadeus Cho, Ms Marvel, Ironheart, Shuri) or tank terribly when they don't (remember the Inhuman called Mosaic who had Deadman's powers?).

Comment

• Yo.

Originally posted by W.West View Post
                    Why don't you tell me why you think people won't buy a minority led book with a new character?
                    speaking personally, I tend to not pay much attention to books w/black characters as the MC becuz it feels like I'm SUPPOSED TO buy that book since it has them as the lead (that's partly why I didn't/don't read any Black Panther).

Tazer
                    Tazer
                    That Evil, Yellow Bastiche
                    Last edited by Tazer; 06-07-2019, 02:50 PM.

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
                    Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

• Originally posted by W.West View Post
                      Why don't you tell me why you think people won't buy a minority led book with a new character?
                      Because I've worked in a comic book store for over six years now.

Comment

• Minority characters should be additions, not substitutions.

Part of the problem too is that the supporting casts have been pretty much thrown away. Tom Kamalku could be updated and used well in an Earth-based GL series that starred Hal. But it would never occur to anyone at DC to do that. They think Hal needs to be in out in space and surrounded by funny-looking aliens.

Comment

Because I've worked in a comic book store for over six years now.
                          That's the answer to "Why do you feel that way?" not the answer to "Why do you think they wont sell?"

I'm firmly in the camp of IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME. There's nothing wrong with building up a character as a supporting role before branching off. It doesn't have to be as blatant as Silk or as long as Steel. It just has to be good. Damian Wayne is everywhere and people hated him in his initial issues.

You just have to make good content and people will support it. Or just put top selling talent on it, give it a marketing push beyond a once page blurb and two interviews online.

Comment

• Dwayne Johnson’s ‘Black Adam’ Finds Its Director In Jaume Collet-Serra

‘Swamp Thing’ Cancellation Coverage Muddied By Tall Tales Of Tax Snafus
                            Guy Gasser, director of the North Carolina Film Office, said the report’s description of a tax-transaction trapdoor opening up under the fledgling series doesn’t match the facts. The numbers were way off, too, by citing a tax credit sum ($40 million) that not only exceeds the maximum payment per season for any production (which is $12 million), but it also exceeds the NC Film Office’s entire annual budget ($31 million).
                            Warner Bros. Bosses Toby Emmerich & Peter Roth On Studio Post Kevin Tsujihara In Streaming Era, Disney/Fox & Potential ‘Godzilla vs. Kong’ Move – Produced By
                            In regards to reviving DC on the film side in the wake of Batman vs. Superman and Justice League, Emmerich said that the trick is putting the IP in the hands of filmmakers’ visions, which is the overall creed of Warner Bros. They’re a filmmaker-driven studio.

“Great directors are the lifeblood of a studio,” said Emmerich. “But they need great producers” he added, to great cheers.

He hinted that Warner Bros. would return with its DC feature slate at San Diego Comic-Con 2020 (they’re sitting out and sending New Line’s It: Chapter 2 instead). Essentially, with three DC pics on the horizon — Todd Phillips’ R-rated Joker during the first weekend of October, Birds of Prey on Feb. 7, and Wonder Woman 1984 on June 5, 2020, they’re not ready to pop materials just yet on those movies.

Comment

• This Swamp Thing cancellation is killing me.

Comment

• ‘SWAMP THING’: INSIDE THE DOWNFALL OF DC’S MURKY MONSTER
                                Sources also stress that the new leadership at WarnerMedia are very keen on doing more shows in the formulaic style of The CW’s ‘Arrow’ and ‘The Flash,’ and less shows like ‘Doom Patrol’ and ‘Swamp Thing.’

Comment

Working...
                                X