The Green Lantern by Grant Morrison and Liam Sharp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Green Lantern by Grant Morrison and Liam Sharp

DC Comics are relaunching The Green Lantern comic series this November with acclaimed writer Grant Morrison (Batman, All-Star Superman) and artist Liam Sharp (The Brave and the Bold: Batman and Wonder Woman) taking lead hero Hal Jordan back to his classic roots.

“Instead of the big, epic, 12-part stories, we’re focusing down on the everyday life of a space cop. Basically, it’s no more apocalypse-ending storylines,” Morrison told IGN over a phone interview along with Sharp. “The basic concept is that [Hal Jordan] is like a space cop that patrols a sector of the universe where anything can happen. We’ve made it more like a police procedural.”

A similar grounding tactic was taken after Geoff Johns rebooted the character back in 2005. We saw Hal simply fighting various villains while trying to keep Earth’s sector of the universe under control. In time, though, the storylines grew to become more vast and grand in scale, resulting in interstellar wars and enemies so mind-bendingly powerful that they threatened existence itself. That trend continued with Robert Venditti’s run that saw the Green Lantern Corps tasked with saving the universe from dying -- and that was just the first storyline. You can see why, then, that Morrison and Sharp are intent on keeping things more contained for the foreseeable future.

IGN is pleased to share an exclusive look inside The Green Lantern #1. Check it out by flipping through the slideshow below. Keep reading for details on the story.

As you can see from the pages, Hal comes across the crashed ship of a fellow Corpsmen who is dying from his wounds -- not unlike Hal’s origin where he met the dying Abin Sur and was gifted the powerful Green Lantern ring. This scenario is a bit different, though. The unlucky crystalline Green Lantern crashed landed his transport on Earth, which turns out was a prison transport taking three of the universe’s greatest criminals to trial. With those criminals now loose on Earth, the first arc sees Hal hunting them down before they wreak too much havoc.

The Green Lantern Corps arms its officers with rings that are a source of great power and unlimited potential. As Morrison puts it, “It’s an intergalactic police force, but instead of guns they’ve got wishing rings that make their thoughts come true and turn into plasma.” And to that end, Sharp has been having a field day coming up with various constructs for Hal to use. Notoriously uncreative with his constructs, Hal often opts to use the most practical bludgeoning tool he can think of, yet in that simplicity lies his charm, according to Sharp. “I love this idea that he’s an idiot savant. In a way, he’s a genius. He can just turn up and kind of assess the situation really quickly, and then just smack it with a giant fist, and it’s all fixed,” he said.

Over the course of our conversation, Morrison and Sharp continued to profess their love for Hal’s early adventures in the comics and how they wanted to give their run a similar feel where things were new, unexpected, and fresh, so while the Green Lantern comics have grown to encompass a cast of hundreds, don’t expect to see many familiar faces. They’re opting to feature weird alien Green Lanterns who have been long forgotten or are completely new. Earth is home to five other human Green Lanterns, but this story is focused squarely on Hal. The Guardians of the Universe will be around as, essentially, police chiefs who run the Corps from the station. And even though there have been numerous other colored Lantern characters introduced over the years, this creative team is content focusing on just good old green.

With Hal’s MO squared away, that left Morrison to crack Hal’s character, which he did by comparing him to astronauts who come back from space feeling shell-shocked, freaked out, and unable to find a place for themselves in society. He sees Hal as a man blown by the wind from one job to the next, unable to be effective unless he’s doing the extraordinary up in space as a cosmic cop.

“He’s a loner and a drifter and he’s an unreconstructed man. It was nice to do that and to go a little bit old-fashioned with it. He doesn’t belong here at all, you know? He’s longing for the heavens, and to be back up as a Green Lantern,” Sharp said, with Morrison adding, “We’re doing Hal Jordan where, you know he’s a good cop, but is he really a good guy? And we’re looking into his relationships and how he deals with people. And also the fact that, if you’ve got a job as a space cop, it’s hard to be stuck on the planet Earth. He has other lives on other planets. We’re gonna be looking into a lot of things that I don’t think we’ve seen a lot with Hal Jordan before.”
    Hypo
    Lil' Leaguer
    Last edited by Hypo; 07-19-2018, 03:45 PM.

Just here waiting on Trey to admit he was wrong.

Comment

The premise seems to be pretty different than what was described by Bleeding Cool/teased in Justice League which is interesting. Wonder if they're just misleading us in the interview or if there'll be more GL news.
      Hypo
      Lil' Leaguer
      Last edited by Hypo; 07-19-2018, 03:58 PM.

Comment

This is like the perfect pitch for my kind of fandom: focus on Hal, episodic, remembering constructs, forgetting the rainbow. Hope it's not just hype.

Comment

Oh, my LORD. Every word in that article is what I have been waiting 10 years to hear them say.

I guess I'm coming back.

Comment

It's interesting... but the art kinda' reminds me of Pat Broderick's Green Lantern work in the early '90s.

That's not a bad thing. I think Pat Broderick's stuff was pretty cool most of the time. Yet, at the same time, while I think the art for this current project is cool, and the artist is obviously really good, the proportions are too exaggerated for my tastes. Anyway, what they're doing doesn't sound bad. It seems they're contracting things, which is probably a good idea at this juncture. Green Lantern got pretty overblown and tiring with too many redundant ideas from what Geoff Johns did, and there are WAAAAAAY too many characters, so it's not a bad idea to focus on one and ignore the others.

Speaking of the others, I guess Simon Baz and Guy Gardner are on the shelf for the time being, and Kyle Rayner will be used in a story in which he may die. I'm not even considering what characters I like or don't, but looking at this from a creative point of view, I believe there are way too many of these redundant characters, and I think DC often shoots themselves in the foot creatively by trying to account for all of them.
            ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Way too many humans. It was about as much as the franchise could handle with 4, and thats taking Alan Scott out of the mix.

I'm just relieved to hear someone say no more cheesy rainbow brigade stories, and no more end of the universe sagas. That stuff has been done to death. Stick a fork in it. Back to basics with the main event GL sounds like heaven to me.

Comment

The only thing that makes me nervous are the bits where they talk about exploring Hal's character. If I read between the lines, it makes me fear that they are going to be "humanizing" him by making him kind of a jerk who can't relate to other people normally. That could get old really fast, for me.

Comment

I love Liam Sharp, but I'm not sold on him being a great choice for this particular series. I'm looking forward to being proven wrong.

And IonFan is going to explode.

Comment

Ha ha! Yes he IS!!

Comment

Somewhere Andrew has his head in an oven too.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
                        Somewhere Andrew has his head in an oven too.
                        I'm fine with this. Obviously I was hoping for "Grant Morrison Presents: KYLE RAYNER," but this seems like a sound idea, too.

Actually it doesn't... Hal Jordan is a quintessentially limited character. But it sounds like Morrison is well aware of that and is doing what he can to right the ship.

Comment

He lives!!!

Comment

Originally posted by "Chosen" View Post
                            Just here waiting on Trey to admit he was wrong.
                            Well, he's going to write Hal, and apparently for 12 issues. How big is that? I don't know. Twelve issues isn't many, and he doesn't seem to be changing anything fundamentally.

I don't think Green Lanterns is going anywhere though. I think they're moving Guy and Kyle into that comic, which will suck.

So far I'm not impressed, although I imagine that The Green Lantern will sell.

Maybe that will change.

Comment

That first image of Hal in costume makes me not like the guy's work. The battery is odd shaped and the shoulder points are closer to his bicep than his shoulder. It's like an odd mix of Doug Mahnke and Bart Sears.

Shorter stories though! Oh man, that's what I've been waiting on for awhile now. Now if there were even a hint of good news about Kyle showing up somewhere I'd be in heaven.

Comment

Working...
                              X