The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV

Old 09-30-2021, 07:38 AM   #9326
Parrylakks
Neko Samurai

Third installment of this revenge trilogy is paradoxically both the best and worst film of the three. It's the best because the story is well told, the action is well shot, and the characters are actually interesting (well, the two main ones anyway). It's the worst because aside from a few throw away lines, it has nothing to do with the quest for vengeance, which ultimately leaves the plot of the first two films dangling.

For a moment at the end I thought it might be because he decides not to pursue it any further, seeing how it destroyed his rival in this film, but alas it ends as each of the last two did, with him wandering to find his target. Honestly, this actually makes it feel like a filler arc in an anime, which is weird because I tend to hate filler, but I liked this film more than the previous two. But yeah, it's an odd finale to be sure.

It makes me wonder if this was supposed to keep going as a samurai saga like Lone Wolf and Cub or the Zatoichi series, but just failed to draw the same popularity. If so, it's unfortunate that they went with this as the third film instead of his final target, because he only had three, so a trilogy should've been the perfect length for that storyline, but nope.

Such as it is. It's still an enjoyable samurai flick, regardless.
Old 10-01-2021, 04:14 AM   #9327
Space Cop
The Dandy

Boogie Nights (1997)

"I like simple pleasures, like butter in my a**, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me. That's just something that I enjoy."

I really like this movie (and really most of Anderson's work I've seen) and will definitely own it some day, but for now decided to stream it on Netflix just before it expired.

Last edited by Space Cop; 10-01-2021 at 04:28 PM.
Space Cop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 05:57 AM   #9328
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Venom let there be carnage. All in all a lot better than venom 1 . This felt like a toned down natural born killers wich works. Loved harrelson as carnage and imo should do a hard r prequel film of cletus. Tom hardy was also good. Very fast paced and short wich i feel works with a non avegers film. This universe feels early 2000ish where it can fit with the rami spiderman after spiderman 2 and should of been ramis spiderman 3. I say its a 7 7.5. Theres some horror elements to where this gives me hope for the morbius film if it ever releases

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense

Last edited by TazzMission; 10-02-2021 at 06:00 AM.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 06:38 AM   #9329
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Venom (2005)

Jeff: "Nope, not that Venom. Lol"

So I was perusing the net to see if there was a hint of a certain new movie that came out today, and I came across this odd find. Hidden Jems in surprise places. The story has to do with voodoo, lots of snakes, an innocent man turned monster, and some crappy requisite teenagers to fill out the space. I was quite entertained by the story. The man monster, before he turned, was the town hunchback, except he would help out anyone in any situation with his tow truck. Unfortunately, he helped out the wrong person. And now he's gone all predator on a bunch of teenagers who are Townies with big dreams. Solid effort for a B film and highly suggested for horror fans in general.
Old 10-02-2021, 06:39 AM   #9330
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Venom (2005)

Jeff: "Nope, not that Venom. Lol"

So I was perusing the net to see if there was a hint of a certain new movie that came out today, and I came across this odd find. Hidden Jems in surprise places. The story has to do with voodoo, lots of snakes, an innocent man turned monster, and some crappy requisite teenagers to fill out the space. I was quite entertained by the story. The man monster, before he turned, was the town hunchback, except he would help out anyone in any situation with his tow truck. Unfortunately, he helped out the wrong person. And now he's gone all predator on a bunch of teenagers who are Townies with big dreams. Solid effort for a B film and highly suggested for horror fans in general.
Oh its online. Ok copy

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:55 AM   #9331
Parrylakks
Neko Samurai

Fantastic ronin adventure with two classic characters... sort of. Mifune is playing a character that resembles his Yojimbo/Sanjuro character, and the title reference was totally meant to convey that, but it's debatable if he's actually the same character or not. I like to think he is, but I can see the arguments against it.

Great action meets great humor, here. I was surprised by how many laugh out loud moments there were in this, beginning with the titular characters' first encounter, and then sprinkled throughout. The action is pretty minimal save for a spattering of big moments, but such is often the case in chambara cinema, so yeah. When the action does set in it's generally pretty good. It's not Kurosawa good, but it's still better than a lot of other stuff around that time. I probably shouldn't be surprised given the popularity of Zatoichi, though, as this was like his 20th film (and only Yojimbo's 3rd -- debatably), but still.

All in all, it's a worth while film that really doesn't require any familiarity with either character to appreciate and enjoy. Definitely worth watching, especially if you enjoy the genre.
Old 10-02-2021, 02:12 PM   #9332
Space Cop
The Dandy

[Viva Chiba] the Bodyguard

"The path of the righteous man and defender is beset on all sides by the iniquity of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper, and the father of lost children. And I will execute great vengeance upon them with furious anger, who poison and destroy my brothers; and they shall know that I am Chiba the Bodyguard when I shall lay my vengeance upon them!"

Yep, that's where the Ezekiel misquote actually comes from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrylakks View Post
[Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo]
. . . Fantastic ronin adventure with two classic characters... sort of . . .
All in all, it's a worth while film that really doesn't require any familiarity with either character to appreciate and enjoy. Definitely worth watching, especially if you enjoy the genre.
I did not not that existed. Very cool.

Last edited by Space Cop; 10-03-2021 at 04:10 AM.
Old 10-02-2021, 06:47 PM   #9333
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaff View Post
"Nope, not that Venom. Lol"
I swear I've heard of that before. Might have to check it out now.

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021
Agent Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 07:27 PM   #9334
Space Cop
The Dandy

Captain America II: Death too Soon (1979)

"Under no circumstances is 'Mr. Rogers' to leave that town."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
I was thinking the same thing.

Last edited by Space Cop; 10-03-2021 at 04:08 AM.
Old 10-02-2021, 08:38 PM   #9335
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I was thinking the same thing.

I think the both of you would give this 4 stars. I still can't get over how good it was for a low budget movie.
Old 10-03-2021, 12:21 AM   #9336
Space Cop
The Dandy

Sh! The Octopus (1937)

"You know this fella Clancy?
-No but he's Irish ain't he?
Sure.
-About time the police department did something with the Irish.
They should try to do something without the Irish."

1-hour comedy mystery that's pretty much known for one brief scene involving an impressive-for-the-time character transformation that used makeup and lens filters.

Last edited by Space Cop; 10-03-2021 at 01:45 AM.
Old 10-03-2021, 01:26 AM   #9337
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Ready Player One (2018)

I didn't think it was possible for one man to tell a story better than Citizen Kane, Zoolander, or Scary Movie 3, but somehow that fucking maniac Steven Spielberg did it (with some assistance from Ernest Kline).

I need time to unpack this.

Old 10-03-2021, 01:45 AM   #9338
Space Cop
The Dandy

The Empty Man (2020)

"So, you doing the whole Neal Cassidy thing?
-I don't know who that is."

Not sure how well I understood this enigmatic movie (based on a Boom comic series I haven't read), but I did like it. I was expecting something like Bye Bye Man or Slender Man, but it was different and more mysterious than that. Follows an ex-cop who volunteers to find a neighbor's missing daughter and stumbles on what appears to be a suicide pact leading to a weird cult trying to summon a dark entity.

Quote:
Ready Player One (2018)

I didn't think it was possible for one man to tell a story better than Citizen Kane, Zoolander, or Scary Movie 3 . . .
That's quite the mixed company. I keep meaning to see this movie (it's important to kaiju, sci-fi, and horror fans), but my mother has a copy of the book and I keep thinking I should read it first.

Last edited by Space Cop; 10-03-2021 at 04:11 AM.
Old 10-03-2021, 02:17 AM   #9339
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

I've got a copy of the book and didn't read it first, so I don't think it really matters because you'll be nerding your brains out.

Old 10-03-2021, 03:57 AM   #9340
Space Cop
The Dandy

[Rifftrax Live:] Night of the Living Dead (1968/2014)

"He's gotta go beat off zombies."

Quote:
I've got a copy of the book and didn't read it first, so I don't think it really matters because you'll be nerding your brains out.
I've gone back and forth on this. When I want to read the book of a movie coming out that I haven't read yet, I usually hold off and watch the movie first.

I find that I'm more often disappointed if I'm invested in the book and then see the movie. If I can see the movie first and enjoy it and follow up with the book, it doesn't really spoil the movie for me because I already had a positive association.

The flip side of that is that it will (unless they're wildly different) spoil the ending of the book. In this case, I've already heard about the ending.

Last edited by Space Cop; 10-03-2021 at 04:11 AM.
Old 10-04-2021, 05:11 AM   #9341
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Transformers: The Movie (1986)

"Yes friends, act now, destroy Unicron. Kill the Grand Poobah. Eliminate even the toughest stain."

Truth be told, I have no special love for Wreck-gar or the Junkions, but I did just get SS86 Slag and Wreck-gar yesterday, so what better way to celebrate than watching the movie while opening the packages?

I think this is the 4th or 5th time in the last 30 days I've watched this movie, not like I haven't seen it a zillion other times. What I find sad is that the kids who were coming of age during the Bayformer disasters will only subscribe to those movies; they have no interest in seeing the roots or feeling the magic of what was done years before the flicks they consider "gold". And that truly is their loss. They don't want to bother, either, in expanding their minds and learning the original lore that everything after it was based on.

Maybe I'm just built differently, but when I take interest in something I inhale it for what it's worth. The Universal Monsters are a good example. Most of the actors had passed away by the time I was born, yet when I learned of concepts like vampires, wolfmen, mummies, and other assorted ghouls, I went straight to the roots (even further back in some cases with written literature) to consume as much information as possible on these incredible entities that held my imagination.

I feel bad for the Bay kids since they will never know the first glimpses of a little planet beyond our own called Cybertron.
Old 10-04-2021, 02:59 PM   #9342
Space Cop
The Dandy

Monster A Go-Go (1965)

"We have a radioactive something or other, 7 feet tall, 400 pounds."

Don't recommend even though it just under 70 minutes. It was footage abandoned by one regional filmmaker (Bill Rebane) before he hit his prime and pieced together by another exploitation filmmaker (Herschel Gordon Lewis) before he hit his.

Quote:
The Transformers: The Movie (1986) . . .
Corrected the title for you. I joke because I've heard fans on multiple points point out that the movie officially has two awkward definite articles.

Quote:
. . . Truth be told, I have no special love for Wreck-gar or the Junkions, but I did just get SS86 Slag and Wreck-gar yesterday, so what better way to celebrate than watching the movie while opening the packages?. . .
Aww, but Wreck-gar is voiced by Monty Python great Eric Idle.

Quote:
. . . What I find sad is that the kids who were coming of age during the Bayformer disasters will only subscribe to those movies; they have no interest in seeing the roots or feeling the magic of what was done years before the flicks they consider "gold". . .
Agreed, but I do occasionally come across millennials and younger fans of IPs who get involved enough to go back. Can't particularly recall a case with TF, but at least Netflix has some animation and there are toys on the shelves so hopefully kids have a general idea of it being bigger than the live-action stuff.

You have to admit this movie wouldn't be super accessible for someone completely new to the brand. They throw a lot at you just in the opening.

My mother still tells the story of taking me to thing movie, seeing it start and the next thing she remembered was me waking her up and saying "it's over, we can go home now."

Last edited by Space Cop; 10-05-2021 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-04-2021, 03:04 PM   #9343
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Aww, but Wreck-gar is voiced by Mont Python great Eric Idle.
And the Junkions rock out to Weird Al's Dare to be Stupid.
Old 10-04-2021, 05:50 PM   #9344
Space Cop
The Dandy

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein

"I know you'll think I'm crazy, but in a half-an-hour the moon will rise and I'll turn into a wolf.
-You and 20 million other guys!"

Quote:
. . . but I did just get SS86 Slag and Wreck-gar yesterday, so what better way to celebrate than watching the movie while opening the packages? . . .
New toys? You should be posting those in Post a Pic of the last thing you purchased Vol. 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I really need to get that soundtrack one of these days. But yeah, how fun to have Weird Al as your theme song.

Last edited by Space Cop; 10-05-2021 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-05-2021, 12:00 AM   #9345
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Quote:
What I find sad is that the kids who were coming of age during the Bayformer disasters will only subscribe to those movies; they have no interest in seeing the roots or feeling the magic of what was done years before the flicks they consider "gold".
Not necessarily. It might be their gateway drug per se, but it won't automatically be their final choice. My exposure to horror films was Halloween, Friday the 13th, and A Nightmare on Elm Street, but because of how heavily saturated horror culture is by stuff from the 1930s, '40s, and even the '50s I ended up frequently seeing and eventually seeking out the classics (it helped that The Monster Squad was a favorite of mine).

Adventure films? Indiana Jones and The Goonies, but I still want to watch the stuff before that because goddamn is some of it entertaining (and I'm a little bit of a romantic when it comes to the formula those films follow, some of it is just comforting to watch). Also, Seventh Voyage of Sinbad.

Sci-fi? Star Wars and Star Trek, but I have a soft spot for those absurd upright rockets of the Golden Age of Sci-Fi.

Cartoons? I had a VHS of the old Max Fleischer run of Superman, and it was fun as hell to watch. Also used to catch Popeye episodes sometimes.

Yes, seeing Bayformers will be their strongest memory of the franchise, at least initially. Beyond that it's a bit of a guess as to whether or not they'll really get into the other iterations but it's pretty difficult to believe they won't be exposed to it enough to develop at least a passing interest; the franchise is just too steeped in its past to not gain new fans of the old content.

Old 10-05-2021, 01:46 AM   #9346
Space Cop
The Dandy

[Rifftrax:] Deadly Instincts (1997/2017)

"Welcome to the University of Innuendo.
-Home of the Fighting Double Entendres!"
Old 10-06-2021, 04:55 AM   #9347
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Talking

Quote:
Aww, but Wreck-gar is voiced by Monty Python great Eric Idle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post

Boys, BOYS....

Did you not fully understand the paragraph?

2 days ago, I got the Studio Series 1986 toys of Wreck-gar and Slag (well, Slug, as it's written on the box because some snowflakes in the UK got their panties in a bunch over the use of "slag" as a name). So to CELEBRATE the arrival of BOTH of them, I watched the 1986 movie in honor of them, including....

Drum roll please.....

Wreck-gar.

And I do say his figure is very well crafted indeed. He's just not one of my favorite characters, that is all. But I like him and the toy enough to honor their presence in my collection. See? GOOD PART, KUP! TELL SWOOP GOOD PART!

(And for slag, the scene in the beginning where he steamrolls into Devastator is pure awesome.)

I even used one of Wreck-gar's lines for the movie quote! It was either that or Kup.

Last edited by Jeff; 10-06-2021 at 05:15 AM.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 05:06 AM   #9348
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Not necessarily. It might be their gateway drug per se, but it won't automatically be their final choice. My exposure to horror films was Halloween, Friday the 13th, and A Nightmare on Elm Street, but because of how heavily saturated horror culture is by stuff from the 1930s, '40s, and even the '50s I ended up frequently seeing and eventually seeking out the classics (it helped that The Monster Squad was a favorite of mine).

Adventure films? Indiana Jones and The Goonies, but I still want to watch the stuff before that because goddamn is some of it entertaining (and I'm a little bit of a romantic when it comes to the formula those films follow, some of it is just comforting to watch). Also, Seventh Voyage of Sinbad.

Sci-fi? Star Wars and Star Trek, but I have a soft spot for those absurd upright rockets of the Golden Age of Sci-Fi.

Cartoons? I had a VHS of the old Max Fleischer run of Superman, and it was fun as hell to watch. Also used to catch Popeye episodes sometimes.

Yes, seeing Bayformers will be their strongest memory of the franchise, at least initially. Beyond that it's a bit of a guess as to whether or not they'll really get into the other iterations but it's pretty difficult to believe they won't be exposed to it enough to develop at least a passing interest; the franchise is just too steeped in its past to not gain new fans of the old content.

Son, you should see the global chat in the Transformers Earth Wars game that I play. Literally every little troll and leech coming out to irritate you carries the flag of Bayformers. And what most people don't know/understand is that the civil war between us "geewunners" (commonly called "Boomers") and Baykids will never end. One indecent remark will spark and hours worth of picking at each other. I see this every single day for 5 years.

I do believe you are right, I just don't have a high opinion of Baykid's intelligence factor. Yes, there will be the chosen few, the proud, the OPEN MINDED fans who will do as you did given the numerous franchises you used as examples, but sadly those good citizens are few amongst thousands of ignorant fans who just don't care and want to keep beating the dead horse for kicks. It's why I left 2 TF forums and came here. At least there is no civil war here (that I'm aware of) and people could care less what I have to say about Transformers anyways, so it's a win win.

The Bayformers movies to us are what the Disney Sequels are to OT Star Wars fans if that makes any sense at all.
Old 10-06-2021, 05:09 AM   #9349
Space Cop
The Dandy

Calvaire [The Ordeal] (2004)

"Sing for me."

Not very pleasant Belgian torture flick.

Last edited by Space Cop; 10-06-2021 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-06-2021, 07:18 AM   #9350
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
[Rifftrax:] Deadly Instincts (1997/2017)

"Welcome to the University of Innuendo.
-Home of the Fighting Double Entendres!"

I watched this without the Rifftrax. Just wanted to see how bad it was. Got a few laughs. It was bad. Hilariously bad. And I thought Jaws the Revenge was bad. Each single line of dialogue cancels out the orevious line by intention, mood, or just downright stupidity. I think that's what gives it its charm. The beast in question was nothing more than a Xenomorph/ Pumpkinhead hybrid.

I'm kind of dismayed there were no scenes involving alien love making or spooky kids being born, not that I wanted it to roam into adult film territory, but just to give a better hint at why the alien was here in the first place.