Lil' Leaguer

Default Star Trek/Green Lantern #6 *Preview/Spoilers*

Star Trek/Green Lantern #6 Preview
Writer: Mike Johnson
Artist: Angel Hernandez

Old 12-09-2015, 11:08 PM   #2
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

I was late in posting this but it did come out today and is the final issue in the series.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:14 PM   #3
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

I have to laugh at this part of the solicitation:

Quote:
Don’t miss the shocking events that will change the future of both franchises forever!
As if anything about this series will have any ongoing effect on EITHER franchise.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:33 PM   #4
Space Cop
The Dandy

Not bad (nor great), but the final page was corny.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:12 AM   #5
IonFan
Forum Member

DMN it's already over with and it feels like it just got started ............................... i'll be getting this tomorrow

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:20 AM   #6
Booster Beetle
Will break before he bends

Hopefully Batman/TMNT isn't as disappointing

Booster Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:25 AM   #7
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL
Default :Moderator:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Not bad (nor great).
I collected all 6 before reading them, and I agree. It was fun and neat to see Hal interact with Kirk and all that. Story was basic but fun. Also one of the best portrayals of Larfleeze in a long time as well.

3/5

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:00 PM   #8
jhpace1
Manhunter Repairman

Four stars.

Well, that was different.

At the last stand on the Black Lantern planet Vulcan, both Starfleet and our favorite ringslingers look done for. Even Saint Walker waking up and Sinestro joining the fray can't stop Nekron, who promises to destroy this universe as well. Without Ganthet, there is no more Last Light escape, and Nekron will rule over all.

The last-second save didn't come like I thought. The ringslingers had to make their own White Lantern, and they had to pull a "Kyle Rayner" (think The Ring Thief storyline) to do it. But it wasn't Sulu with his replicator-made proto-ring. It was the only Star Trek member able to combine both emotion and logic, hint hint.

The epilogue was the shocker. No return to the DC universe. Vulcan doesn't come back, either. Hal Jordan and the rest decide to stay with Starfleet instead. The replicator-made proto-rings become a new Starfleet standard. Of the other Lanterns, it's not told or shown.

Artwork was barely acceptable. Characterizations were poor, especially the conclusions Kirk made, and the claim from Guy that "somebody has to die" to get a GL ring. Hello? Duplication is standard with GL rings? Nobody knows about the yellow, orange, or red colors in the epilogue. Hal Jordan, Guy Gardner, and Carol Ferris are human, but only Hal is shown with Starfleet. What about Kilowog? And how are they going to recharge their rings without their power batteries?

A good story, but left open-ended for a reason?
jhpace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:54 PM   #9
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

There was a certain level of deus ex machina to the ending but it was pretty much a given what was going to happen once we knew what who the villain was going to be. Anyways overall I thought the series was fun, wouldn't mind seeing a sequel.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:01 PM   #10
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhpace1 View Post
...Characterizations were poor, especially the conclusions Kirk made, and the claim from Guy that "somebody has to die" to get a GL ring. Hello? Duplication is standard with GL rings? . . .
Yeah, that part pissed me off too. Duplication aside, worst case (as long as the bearer is worthy), the GL should've been able to will their ring away and a fellow GL can just make sure they don't fall or suffocate.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:02 AM   #11
Lundonj
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

I waited to have all six issues before jumping in. I read it all tonight and as a fan of both Trek and GL, it was fun. Kind of popcorn movie fun -- simple, a little goofy and I never felt like anyone was in any real danger.

Every comic is someone's first, and it felt like most everyone was written on an introductory level, and the story grabbed at the easier turns to keep things rolling. Which made sense based on the choice to include so many characters.

When a story needs a five minute wrap-up after an hour of wandering, my wife and I call that the 'Star Trek Ending' (not that ALL Trek episodes or stories end that way, but it happens). This one felt like a Star Trek Ending, as if they ran out of page space. Art was okay, strangely inconsistent for a two company crossover, but it produced some pretty cool variant covers.

3 out of 5 for me as well.

-Don
Old 12-17-2015, 01:55 PM   #12
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundonj View Post
When a story needs a five minute wrap-up after an hour of wandering, my wife and I call that the 'Star Trek Ending' (not that ALL Trek episodes or stories end that way, but it happens). This one felt like a Star Trek Ending, as if they ran out of page space. . .
Oh, definitely. The classic Trek ending is on the bridge, conference room, or Ten Forward with multiple characters giving a wrap-up (so and so won't die, the ship is being repaired . . . ) and telling what they've learned and we got exactly that.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:19 AM   #13
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL
Default :Moderator:

As a GL fan I enjoyed this, despite it's faults. I wonder what the hardcore Star Trek fans though of it, having these Ringslingers and Nekron drop in on their world lie they did.

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:17 AM   #14
Lundonj
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_GL View Post
As a GL fan I enjoyed this, despite it's faults. I wonder what the hardcore Star Trek fans though of it, having these Ringslingers and Nekron drop in on their world lie they did.
Trek runs into all kinds of aliens, so it fit for the most part. The only weird bit was giving some of the crew rings - and the story definitely made it more GL than Trek...

-Don