No announcement yet.

Hal joins the Green Lanterns cast in September

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can see DC keeping Jessica around because they have started to insert her into other mediums. And she is a woman which is a big thing these days. Baz I am not so sure. His hook is he is a muslim and the sjws that want that kind of diversity aren't typically willing to shell out money to support the things they clamor for. As Johns moves on nobody but him is going to keep Baz around.

At some point an editor is going to look around and say "hey, we have 8 human Green Lanterns (Alan, Hal, Guy, John, Jade, Kyle, Simon and Jessica). We have too many dulluting the franchise." They are going to do something about it and Geoff Johns won't be in a position to stop them anymore as he gets shuffled around on his way out the door.

Jade and Alan belong to rhe JSA world and would likely be out of a GL editor's control. And if/when Jade returns, she is likely to go back to just being Jade anyway.

I think Baz will go away and there is a good chance Jessica will stay. They will revamp her to get rid of her mental illness so that feminazis won't complain she is a stereotype for all women being crazy. At which point we can get ready for the casting calls of Jennifer Lopez in a GL movie.

And then they will kill off every male GL because they only need a minority woman.

Comment

Oh wait. That's Marvel I'm thinking of. Maybe not.

Comment

JLo is too old though

Comment

I would say Guy and Kyle are the characters fans need to worry about... and Simon, if anyone cares. Unless Green Lantern Corps relaunches, those characters are likely going into limbo for a period. Everything points to the Grant Morrison title being a Hal Jordan book. Green Lanterns will likely eventually be canceled. Note: THIS DOES NOT MEAN SIMON BAZ AND JESSICA CRUZ WILL BE DESTROYED. I mean, they may eventually, but their comic getting cancelled doesn't mean they will disappear. Jessica will be in Justice League Odyssey.

But, yeah, eventually when someone actually attempts to do something substantial with Green Lantern again, and examines why they think the franchise doesn't sell well, they will probably start whacking some of these characters, or de-powering them to sweep them away and focus on whatever they feel is important. Unless Jessica builds up a substantial fanbase from being on that cartoon (I doubt she will, and that cartoon may not even last), then she is a candidate, and Simon will most definitely go if it comes to that. Johns isn't really in a position to protect them or put them in stuff anymore.
          ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Kyle and Guy are the ones I'm worried the least about, because they're not saddled with Baz and Cruz and because Morrison is known to be a Kyle supporter. I don't think he'll try to give Kyle a solo comic. I think he'll see the value of including Guy in it.

John being an Ultraviolet Lantern sounds asinine, but that can be easily undone.

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
              Kyle and Guy are the ones I'm worried the least about, because they're not saddled with Baz and Cruz and because Morrison is known to be a Kyle supporter.
              That was 20 years ago and an entirely different status quo. Morrison just worked within the status quo at the time.

I don't know the man, but my impression is that Grant Morrison really doesn't care all that much about who is Green Lantern like some of these fans do. I don't believe he has a hard on for any of these characters in particular and is open to tell stories with whatever he is given. Kyle happened to be Green Lantern at the time (20 years ago), so he used him and made the most of it.
              ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

And don't forget that when he returned to the team with JLA Classified #1-3, he had the chance to pick a different GL and went with John.

Comment

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
                  I would say Guy and Kyle are the characters fans need to worry about...
                  They are the expendable ones it seems. Guy atleast has the Warrior stuff to fall back on if they decide to de ring him. Kyle is in a tougher spot because all he has ever been is a GL [Suped up or otherwise]

Comment

Lavish praise used to get heaped on Baz and Cruz at CBR. Especially on Cruz. She even had an appreciation thread that someone would bump every few days. "The sky is the limit for her!" people would cry. But now, only crickets are discussing Baz and Cruz over there.

That's because their so-called fans never imagined that Hal would get saddled with them. They thought Baz and Cruz would have their own comic and would appear in Justice League forever and ever. Hey, they were Geoff Johns characters, so they must have been a great idea, right?

Be of good cheer. What's happening in Green Lanterns has an upside.

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                      Lavish praise used to get heaped on Baz and Cruz at CBR. Especially on Cruz. She even had an appreciation thread that someone would bump every few days. "The sky is the limit for her!" people would cry. But now, only crickets are discussing Baz and Cruz over there.

That's because their so-called fans never imagined that Hal would get saddled with them. They thought Baz and Cruz would have their own comic and would appear in Justice League forever and ever. Hey, they were Geoff Johns characters, so they must have been a great idea, right?

Be of good cheer. What's happening in Green Lanterns has an upside.
                      I don't believe lavish praise was ever heaped on Simon Baz. As for Jessica, I'm not sure if her fans thought she would be in the Justice League forever, but they were enjoying it while it lasted, and they seemed to recognize she currently has a higher profile than other Lanterns like--again--Kyle and Guy... and Arisia, beating her out for primary female Lantern.

However, now that Geoff Johns isn't in a position to coddle her, I don't know if her star will rise. It's entirely up to whether creators want to use her. I will admit that it is looking good for her, seeing as she in Justice League Odyssey. I guess Joshua Williamson organically wanted her on his team. Only time will tell if Jessica has any staying power. I don't think Baz will. Totally useless character, in my opinion.

Comment

Baz could have been DC's Kamala Khan, if they hadn't introduced him as a hooded car thief with a gun. You never get a second first impression, and stumbling out of the gate like that cost them dearly.

Comment

^ Right. Also, being accused of blowing up a building was kinda' tone deaf to me. I'm not necessarily for wiping away a person (or character's) background or never addressing it, but approaching the character like, "Oh, I'm writing a Muslim now? Well, let me see how I can incorporate terrorism into this," seemed kinda'... I dunno'... very, VERY cliche. And it's especially bad when this is, too, is part of his initial story. Baz will never get away from being a gun-toting, ski mask wearing car thief Middle Eastern Muslim who was sent to Guantanamo Bay on charges of terrorism as his origin. Actually, as I'm typing this, I'm realizing how funny the whole thing is. The scenario seems satirical, except it is not.

So yeah, I think the character was problematic right from step one. The biggest offense to me, though, was that another Green Lantern character--especially that character--just wasn't needed in my opinion. I really don't see what Baz brings to the table, or what he added to the Green Lantern franchise.
                          Star-Lantern
                          Weaponer of Qward
                          Last edited by Star-Lantern; 06-26-2018, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
                            I really don't see what Baz brings to the table, or what he added to the Green Lantern franchise.
                            His contribution was being a checkmark on a list. Much like Cruz was.

Too many human GLs man. The sooner they weed half of them out the better.

Comment

Geoff Johns said that Baz was about his father being Lebanese.

So there's that.

Comment

I kind of wished they'd stuck to the plan and killed off John Stewart. Thin the herd. Too bad DC got chickenshit, it could have been powerful.

Comment

Working...
                                X