The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
InterestingJohn
Alpha-Lantern
 
InterestingJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,690
Send a message via AIM to InterestingJohn Send a message via MSN to InterestingJohn Send a message via Yahoo to InterestingJohn
Default Star Trek Online - My Science Officer, Thaal

So I've been in the open beta for STO for the last week or two and I've pre-ordered the collector's edition of the game. So last night as I was wrapping up my playtest session, I had an epiphany. I created a Science officer as an "unknown alien" (completely custom appearance) and wouldn't you know it, he looks strikingly familiar, so of course, I named him Thaal

I figured it made sense as a Science officer, since Sinestro was an archeologist before he was a GL. Anyway, I saved his appearance and took some screenshots, if I remember, I'll post some here, I think he came out looking pretty good.
__________________
InterestingJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche
 
Tazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: @play
Posts: 25,039
Default

Yo.

so, give us the dope on wat the gamplay is like comrade.........plz??






Tazer
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
InterestingJohn
Alpha-Lantern
 
InterestingJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,690
Send a message via AIM to InterestingJohn Send a message via MSN to InterestingJohn Send a message via Yahoo to InterestingJohn
Default

Gameplay's fun. It's not EVE Online, but it's got a lot of action, there's ground and space gameplay, it'd divided fairly equally between both.

Space combat is fun, it's not true space flight, they put you on a flat plane (which you can move vertically on, it's more like flight in City of Heroes, which is not surprising, but it certainly does feel like Star Trek.

Where the game really shines is in the missions, which are incredibly diverse and quite frequently mix ground and space in unique and fun ways. The other place it shines is Bridge Officers, they basically allow you to create your own Star Trek cast and it's Cryptic, so the customization in general is fantastic.
__________________
InterestingJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master
 
JohnnyV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lexington, KY (gay mayor, biatches)
Posts: 13,805
Blog Entries: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestingJohn View Post
Where the game really shines is in the missions, which are incredibly diverse and quite frequently mix ground and space in unique and fun ways. The other place it shines is Bridge Officers, they basically allow you to create your own Star Trek cast and it's Cryptic, so the customization in general is fantastic.
that's the one aspect of the game which could have sold me. If you could have a ship and then have actual people on your crew I would have been sold. Imagine having a full PC crew running a starship. It would be difficult for sure, but would set itself apart from other games of this type (Pirates of the Burning Sea).
__________________


Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:39 PM   #5
InterestingJohn
Alpha-Lantern
 
InterestingJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,690
Send a message via AIM to InterestingJohn Send a message via MSN to InterestingJohn Send a message via Yahoo to InterestingJohn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
that's the one aspect of the game which could have sold me. If you could have a ship and then have actual people on your crew I would have been sold. Imagine having a full PC crew running a starship. It would be difficult for sure, but would set itself apart from other games of this type (Pirates of the Burning Sea).
I agree, and if not for the "creating your own bridge crew", I wouldn't be interested at all.
__________________
InterestingJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:40 PM   #6
InterestingJohn
Alpha-Lantern
 
InterestingJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,690
Send a message via AIM to InterestingJohn Send a message via MSN to InterestingJohn Send a message via Yahoo to InterestingJohn
Default

Oh, and I used to run a YT-1300 crew in SWG, so I know how much fun an all-PC crew can be
__________________
InterestingJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:06 PM   #7
HB-Jay
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

My buddy is playing right now as well and will probably be getting me into it after I graduate.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:19 PM   #8
InterestingJohn
Alpha-Lantern
 
InterestingJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,690
Send a message via AIM to InterestingJohn Send a message via MSN to InterestingJohn Send a message via Yahoo to InterestingJohn
Default

If anyone wants to roll with me, my handle is @EmeraldTitan

character will likely be Hunter@EmeraldTitan
__________________
InterestingJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:58 PM   #9
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche
 
Tazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: @play
Posts: 25,039
Default

Yo.

so wait, U mean to tell me there's no facility to become part of a bridge crew??

fuckin' FAIL man; thats the only thing which WOULDVE made me look twice @ it.





Tazer
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:04 PM   #10
InterestingJohn
Alpha-Lantern
 
InterestingJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,690
Send a message via AIM to InterestingJohn Send a message via MSN to InterestingJohn Send a message via Yahoo to InterestingJohn
Default

Yeah, but like I said, being able to create your own bridge crew is pretty fun too (and few people actually want to be the engineer, unfortunately).
__________________
InterestingJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:14 PM   #11
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche
 
Tazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: @play
Posts: 25,039
Default

Yo.

maybe so, but can U imagine playing gunner, while another person is piloting.........and a 3rd is manning the shields?!??

now THAT would be WIN. but hey, its no biggie: its less money/time for me to spend.





Tazer
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:21 PM   #12
InterestingJohn
Alpha-Lantern
 
InterestingJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,690
Send a message via AIM to InterestingJohn Send a message via MSN to InterestingJohn Send a message via Yahoo to InterestingJohn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
Yo.

maybe so, but can U imagine playing gunner, while another person is piloting.........and a 3rd is manning the shields?!??

now THAT would be WIN. but hey, its no biggie: its less money/time for me to spend.





Tazer
What you described... that was SWG. And it was fun, except for the poor shlub who got stuck as Co-Pilot (running ships comp, very boring), The unfortunate truth is that most people would rather be the "Captain" and have others be under their command, which only works when you've got enough people willing to be under that person's command.
__________________
InterestingJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:25 AM   #13
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master
 
JohnnyV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lexington, KY (gay mayor, biatches)
Posts: 13,805
Blog Entries: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestingJohn View Post
What you described... that was SWG. And it was fun, except for the poor shlub who got stuck as Co-Pilot (running ships comp, very boring), The unfortunate truth is that most people would rather be the "Captain" and have others be under their command, which only works when you've got enough people willing to be under that person's command.
to me that's what would make it great. Finding a team who was mature enough to fit their roles. Then you could just school the people whining about being captain. But I can't say anything about the game as I haven't played it. I just have so much on my plate as is, by the time i could get around to this The Old Republic will be out.
__________________


Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:59 AM   #14
InterestingJohn
Alpha-Lantern
 
InterestingJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,690
Send a message via AIM to InterestingJohn Send a message via MSN to InterestingJohn Send a message via Yahoo to InterestingJohn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
to me that's what would make it great. Finding a team who was mature enough to fit their roles. Then you could just school the people whining about being captain. But I can't say anything about the game as I haven't played it. I just have so much on my plate as is, by the time i could get around to this The Old Republic will be out.
TOR is going to be even more "single player" than this... so if you think STO is lacking in player teamwork and interaction, TOR will be a huge disappointment.
__________________
InterestingJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:03 AM   #15
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Evergreen State
Posts: 14,234
Blog Entries: 5
Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default

No space battling in Star Trek Online? And I'm not sure how "moving on a flat plane vertically" is supposed to work...
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:11 AM   #16
InterestingJohn
Alpha-Lantern
 
InterestingJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,690
Send a message via AIM to InterestingJohn Send a message via MSN to InterestingJohn Send a message via Yahoo to InterestingJohn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
No space battling in Star Trek Online? And I'm not sure how "moving on a flat plane vertically" is supposed to work...
There is a lot of space battling, I'd actually say that's 60% of the gameplay. As for the flat plane, it's hard to explain, but I'll try, basically, you can't turn your ship over or fly straight up or down, everyone's ship is oriented the same direction.
__________________
InterestingJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:15 AM   #17
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Evergreen State
Posts: 14,234
Blog Entries: 5
Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestingJohn View Post
There is a lot of space battling, I'd actually say that's 60% of the gameplay. As for the flat plane, it's hard to explain, but I'll try, basically, you can't turn your ship over or fly straight up or down, everyone's ship is oriented the same direction.
I think I see what you mean... so it's true flight, you just can't sort of curve any which way?

That brings up a good point, though. It's always struck me as odd on Star Trek shows that all starships ever, always are oriented exactly the same on exactly the same axis.

Like, you never see ships coming up slightly cock-eyed to the right or left, you know? Which would have to happen. There is no "rightside up" in space.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:59 AM   #18
InterestingJohn
Alpha-Lantern
 
InterestingJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,690
Send a message via AIM to InterestingJohn Send a message via MSN to InterestingJohn Send a message via Yahoo to InterestingJohn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I think I see what you mean... so it's true flight, you just can't sort of curve any which way?

That brings up a good point, though. It's always struck me as odd on Star Trek shows that all starships ever, always are oriented exactly the same on exactly the same axis.

Like, you never see ships coming up slightly cock-eyed to the right or left, you know? Which would have to happen. There is no "rightside up" in space.
Which is why I said that it still feels like Star Trek :P
__________________
InterestingJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:44 AM   #19
InterestingJohn
Alpha-Lantern
 
InterestingJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,690
Send a message via AIM to InterestingJohn Send a message via MSN to InterestingJohn Send a message via Yahoo to InterestingJohn
Default

Here's some screenshots:




__________________
InterestingJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:56 AM   #20
Rayner.2814.4
Hal's Understudy
 
Rayner.2814.4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sector House 2814
Posts: 564
Blog Entries: 4
Default

That is pretty spot on.
__________________
Rayner.2814.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #21
Shingo Wol
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Now that's awesome.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:12 PM   #22
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master
 
JohnnyV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lexington, KY (gay mayor, biatches)
Posts: 13,805
Blog Entries: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestingJohn View Post
TOR is going to be even more "single player" than this... so if you think STO is lacking in player teamwork and interaction, TOR will be a huge disappointment.
Well, we don't know absolutely everything about the game yet like we do with STO. The release version anyway. I have all kinds of different expectations for TOR, compared to Star Trek Online.

Awesome Sinestro btw.
__________________


Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:15 PM   #23
InterestingJohn
Alpha-Lantern
 
InterestingJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,690
Send a message via AIM to InterestingJohn Send a message via MSN to InterestingJohn Send a message via Yahoo to InterestingJohn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
Well, we don't know absolutely everything about the game yet like we do with STO. The release version anyway. I have all kinds of different expectations for TOR, compared to Star Trek Online.

Awesome Sinestro btw.
As someone who played SWG when it released, and loved it, and realize that the introduction of Jedi is what lead to that game's ultimate downfall, I have nothing but utter disdain for TOR (also, I've never really enjoyed any of the Old Republic games, I'm probably the only person who didn't think they felt like Star Wars)
__________________
InterestingJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:05 AM   #24
ion.nai
existential absurdist
 
ion.nai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Terra Nova
Posts: 2,614
Send a message via MSN to ion.nai
Default

cool beans.
The game looks good.

I loved Star Wars Galaxies until Lusasarts crapped it up. I hope Star Trek online has a better community.
__________________
"Don't disturb my circles."
ion.nai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:39 AM   #25
GLC2814.4
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
No space battling in Star Trek Online? And I'm not sure how "moving on a flat plane vertically" is supposed to work...
I was on Open Beta for the past two weeks as well; great experience, I havent played MMOs since WoW got boring and SWG had meunstral cramps and died.

Really fun MMO, the missions are good. Preferring the space battles over the ground missions, I can say the space battles are great. About the "moving on a flat plane thing..." you actually get to fly however you want in space...BUT there are in fact ceilings to how high or low you can go vertically (its not truly 360 degrees, etc) but its good enough, and it keeps everyone in the same playing field. So you can fly above or below someone, but you can't do a loop-de-loop over or under them, etc.

Will definitely play at launch, I got the digital download to play Beta, so they got me hooked until TOR comes out; them I'm outie 5000 (being over 30 and having a full time job and kids makes my only time to play late at night...and I can't pull the 2-3 hours of sleep like I could when I was younger, lol, so one MMO at a time for me)

I recommend it to everyone, a good Star Trek game, and a solid MMO, should be good fun for a while
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
alien, mmo, sinestro, star trek online

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.