The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics
View Poll Results: How good was it?
* 1 16.67%
** 0 0%
*** 1 16.67%
**** 1 16.67%
***** 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2014, 01:42 PM   #26
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen City View Post
It's not easy to write a prequel to a hit game. The game designers decided who'd be in the game, and who wouldn't. Now, the prequel writer has to fill in the gaps and get rid of the characters that don't fit. There will be more casualties. If you really want to cheat, check the game for the list of interactive characters and see who isn't there.

Why did Superman go nuts? Not just because Lois and his unborn child died, but because HE WAS TRICKED INTO KILLING THEM HIMSELF. Goodbye Joker. And once the line is crossed, the next murder becomes easier. And the logic inside the "hero" begins to change. Very mature story line. This series connects seamlessly with the first Injustice arc of 12 issues. Loving it, loving it, loving it...a GREAT tale in the old Imaginary tradition.
True. Even the roster might not totally help you ID the deaths. I had forgotten that the alternate Ollie was dead because you play the DCU version of him.

And as to the Clark-turned-too-easily argument, I would also add this is another universe. Who knows what little factors would make him more susceptible.

For all that, the argument is pretty subtle. It's not just that Clark wants revenge for the Joker's trick. It's also that he blames Bruce for never permanently taking out the Joker. In his eyes, that can never happen again and the only way to insure that is a "benevolent" dictatorship of demigods.
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
—Isaiah 9:6
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:21 PM   #27
Deadpool
Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
Yo.

fixed

Tazer
Huh, must've missed a key.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Caesar View Post
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:10 PM   #28
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

I fig'd that; me do it all the time.

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:28 PM   #29
jhpace1
Manhunter Repairman

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
For all that, the argument is pretty subtle. It's not just that Clark wants revenge for the Joker's trick. It's also that he blames Bruce for never permanently taking out the Joker. In his eyes, that can never happen again and the only way to insure that is a "benevolent" dictatorship of demigods.
This is the argument between Superman's former "good guys don't kill" and Batman's "I'm the only one allowed to make them fear the good guys, like me" method of operation. Superman saved people with a smile on his face; Batman took down Joker, Penguin, or Two-Face without being seen by everyone else. Superman's midwest America-style tactic of waiting until the bad guy saw the error of his ways and became benign and beneficial. Batman just kept throwing them into Arkham Asylum, a "dark force" of justice in the "dark city" of corruption.

So Batman did have "limits" to his force, and he still wanted the law of the land to have final word on the criminals. Unfortunately that law of the land, as well as comic book's "laws" about returning foes meant Superman and Batman would be facing the same criminals over and over again. When those criminals get to kill but the good guys cannot, you get the law of diminishing returns as the good guys start to lose friends and family to the bad guys' killings. Because it seems the bad guys never pay, and you can never return those the bad guys kill. At this point it becomes an Old Testament "you must purge the evil among you" decision, which in the past took government with several hundred commissioned officers and soldiers to enact. Now one person can be judge, jury, and executioner with the power of an army.

Superman never had to cross that line before because he had the power to keep the bad guys from killing. Batman had deaths in his story, including the Joker getting to Robin and Batgirl, but refused to cross the line. Now, with Injustice, we have the line crossed - and the escalation is ramping up. Bad guys with nothing to lose will kill faster, and good guys determined to stop the bad guys will also kill, faster and faster, as they try to stop their actions before they become deadly. Usually this ends in a war with one side totally destroying the other - but this is a comic book, and it is never allowed to get that far. The people cannot rise up against the bad guys and the good guys, because the power balance is too extreme.

So you have bad guys trying to get fame and glory, the good guys just wanting a normal life, and both have no limits anymore. Add in revenge motives on both sides, and everybody is going to lose. Nobody can call the bad guys back, and the good guys are becoming totalitarian to protect their own friends, family, and the populace at large.
jhpace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:39 PM   #30
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhpace1 View Post
This is the argument between Superman's former "good guys don't kill" and Batman's "I'm the only one allowed to make them fear the good guys, like me" method of operation. Superman saved people with a smile on his face; Batman took down Joker, Penguin, or Two-Face without being seen by everyone else. Superman's midwest America-style tactic of waiting until the bad guy saw the error of his ways and became benign and beneficial. Batman just kept throwing them into Arkham Asylum, a "dark force" of justice in the "dark city" of corruption.

So Batman did have "limits" to his force, and he still wanted the law of the land to have final word on the criminals. Unfortunately that law of the land, as well as comic book's "laws" about returning foes meant Superman and Batman would be facing the same criminals over and over again. When those criminals get to kill but the good guys cannot, you get the law of diminishing returns as the good guys start to lose friends and family to the bad guys' killings. Because it seems the bad guys never pay, and you can never return those the bad guys kill. At this point it becomes an Old Testament "you must purge the evil among you" decision, which in the past took government with several hundred commissioned officers and soldiers to enact. Now one person can be judge, jury, and executioner with the power of an army.

Superman never had to cross that line before because he had the power to keep the bad guys from killing. Batman had deaths in his story, including the Joker getting to Robin and Batgirl, but refused to cross the line. Now, with Injustice, we have the line crossed - and the escalation is ramping up. Bad guys with nothing to lose will kill faster, and good guys determined to stop the bad guys will also kill, faster and faster, as they try to stop their actions before they become deadly. Usually this ends in a war with one side totally destroying the other - but this is a comic book, and it is never allowed to get that far. The people cannot rise up against the bad guys and the good guys, because the power balance is too extreme.

So you have bad guys trying to get fame and glory, the good guys just wanting a normal life, and both have no limits anymore. Add in revenge motives on both sides, and everybody is going to lose. Nobody can call the bad guys back, and the good guys are becoming totalitarian to protect their own friends, family, and the populace at large.
those comments in altered txt I have to disagree with:

underlined - everybody except Comm. Gordon, and a bunch of other cops.....

BOLD - I dont recall Supes ever doing/ being like *that*, but he certainly doesnt try to "put the fright of God *and* the devil" in'em like Bats does.....

italics - Supes doesnt have to the power to prevent killings, only he's powerful enuff to greatly reduce how many ppl DO perish compared to every1 else; theres no way U can have him have the fights he does in Metrolpolis & say scores of ppl didnt bite it.

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elseworlds, kyle rayner, sinestro, sinestro corps