The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2019, 10:36 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Evergreen State
Posts: 14,246
Blog Entries: 5
Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default "Ghostbusters: Afterlife" (2020)



The Ecto-1 has been spotted on set now:

https://www.tmz.com/2019/08/05/ghost...ing-new-movie/

My concern is... why is this the Ecto-1 and not the Ecto-1A, from GB2? Was the car in GB2 literally supposed to be a whole new vehicle?

I sure hope they're not ignoring GB2...
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:11 PM   #2
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern
 
Rotten2thecorps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Qward
Posts: 2,542
Default

All things considered after 2016,I am not Going to crucify them for a tiny continuity error.
__________________
Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!
Rotten2thecorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:41 PM   #3
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Evergreen State
Posts: 14,246
Blog Entries: 5
Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
All things considered after 2016,I am not Going to crucify them for a tiny continuity error.
Very true. Though I'm less thinking it's a continuity error or intentional oversight as much as a conscious decision to shirk GB2.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:47 PM   #4
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer
 
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Toshi Station picking up some power converters
Posts: 16,533
Default

I wouldn't imagine so. It's not like GB2 is held in any disdain by fans.
__________________
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:46 PM   #5
HalFingJordan
Alpha-Lantern
 
HalFingJordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 2,466
Default

This is very insulting to the ladies and fans of the 2016 movie. Very disappointing and backwards that they would do this.
__________________
Tell me you hate your boyfriend and love me.

INVISIBLE SKY DADDY TO THE RESCUE!!!

You don't have to be stupid to believe in God. But it helps.

You can tell a Yorkshireman....but you can't tell him much.
HalFingJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:26 PM   #6
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color
 
Mister Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 14,746
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalFingJordan View Post
This is very insulting to the ladies and fans of the 2016 movie. Very disappointing and backwards that they would do this.
I don't want to sound insulting, but I'm wondering if you are serious about this.

Is it really "insulting" that they would actually do a straight-up sequel based on the original movie(s)? Something that they have, reportedly, been trying to get off the ground for years, since before the 2016 movie was even proposed?

Certainly, that this movie is finally getting made now, after the 2016 film, DOES seem to argue that they don't have much confidence in the ability of the new cast to successfully carry the franchise forward. I assume that the performance of that film was disappointing to the studio, and this is their last-ditch attempt to see if they can still make money off the property by going back to its roots.

But is that INSULTING?

I imagine that, as disappointed as fans of the 2016 film might be by this development, the announcement of the 2016 film was a disappointment to those that wanted more of the Ghostbusters they had fond memories of, not a reboot with a new cast.

Myself, I would be fine with them not making ANY new Ghostbusters films. I didn't see the 2016 film (reviews were not good enough to draw me in), and don't plan to see this one (unless reviews are particularly glowing). But I'm not someone with a real attachment to the franchise. I enjoyed the first movie quite a bit, but didn't feel like it needed any kind of sequel, and recall being disappointed in the sequel it did get (I think I've only watched it once).
__________________
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:43 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Evergreen State
Posts: 14,246
Blog Entries: 5
Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default

May be called "Ghostbusters: Afterlife."

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/11...ters-afterlife
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:27 PM   #8
HalFingJordan
Alpha-Lantern
 
HalFingJordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 2,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I don't want to sound insulting, but I'm wondering if you are serious about this.

Is it really "insulting" that they would actually do a straight-up sequel based on the original movie(s)? Something that they have, reportedly, been trying to get off the ground for years, since before the 2016 movie was even proposed?
It's very insulting. What would you say to all the little girls who identified with the female Ghostbusters who became their hero? For a whole generation?

"They weren't good enough?"

Quote:
Certainly, that this movie is finally getting made now, after the 2016 film, DOES seem to argue that they don't have much confidence in the ability of the new cast to successfully carry the franchise forward. I assume that the performance of that film was disappointing to the studio, and this is their last-ditch attempt to see if they can still make money off the property by going back to its roots.
It did fine at the box office. Now you're just making up things.

Quote:
But is that INSULTING?
Incredibly.

Quote:
Myself, I would be fine with them not making ANY new Ghostbusters films. I didn't see the 2016 film (reviews were not good enough to draw me in), and don't plan to see this one (unless reviews are particularly glowing). But I'm not someone with a real attachment to the franchise. I enjoyed the first movie quite a bit, but didn't feel like it needed any kind of sequel, and recall being disappointed in the sequel it did get (I think I've only watched it once).
Ghostbusters 2016 was sold as the beginning of a new franchise for a new generation for half of the population, which is female. Changing course on that is culturally irresponsible and maybe even dangerous.
__________________
Tell me you hate your boyfriend and love me.

INVISIBLE SKY DADDY TO THE RESCUE!!!

You don't have to be stupid to believe in God. But it helps.

You can tell a Yorkshireman....but you can't tell him much.
HalFingJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:50 PM   #9
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color
 
Mister Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 14,746
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalFingJordan View Post
It did fine at the box office. Now you're just making up things.
Nah, not making stuff up, just making assumptions. Guess they turned out to be wrong, so sorry for that. I can't for the life of me figure out why the studio would abandon the new cast if the box office had been as good as they hoped for, but you obviously know more about that than I do, so I'll happily take your word that it was.

Still don't see how making a movie they've reportedly been trying to make for ages, since long before the 2016 film, is "insulting" to anybody, though. (Unless it ends up sucking.)
__________________
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:39 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Evergreen State
Posts: 14,246
Blog Entries: 5
Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default

"Ghostbusters: Afterlife" is revealed as the title. Also, trailer this week.

https://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/...ming-this-week
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:26 PM   #11
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer
 
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Toshi Station picking up some power converters
Posts: 16,533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalFingJordan View Post
This is very insulting to the ladies and fans of the 2016 movie. Very disappointing and backwards that they would do this.
I think a great wrong may be about to be righted. Nobody cares what fans of that movie think. Everybody in my household refused to see it.
__________________
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:58 PM   #12
Michael Heide
Heide Finition
 
Michael Heide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cologne, Germany
Posts: 11,965
Default

GB16 wasn't terrible. Its only, albeit massive, massive problem was that 97% of the jokes fell flat. But the effects were breathtaking (actually breaking the letterbox format with the ghost and proton pack effects, but only with those, was genius) and the action, especially the one big set piece at the end was immensely entertaining. And the cast they assembled is usually a lot funnier. McCarthy as Sean Spicer was hilarious. McKinnon kills it on SNL. Hemsworth has great comedic chops. Letting these people adlib all of the dialog should have worked, and it blows my mind that they seemingly went with the worst takes in every single scene.
GB16 was not the Aykroyd/Murray Ghostbusters, and it was never trying to be. But as a live-action version of the Real Ghostbusters cartoon show (only with other characters), it was solid. With an additional draft by, say, Lord and Miller, or Jordan Peele, or any writer who nails funny banter, this would have gone through the roof, ladies or not.
Grab the blu-ray out of the bargain bins. It's worth a dollar or two.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:21 PM   #13
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Evergreen State
Posts: 14,246
Blog Entries: 5
Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
Letting these people adlib all of the dialog should have worked, and it blows my mind that they seemingly went with the worst takes in every single scene.
I think one of the problems on GB16 was that the ad-libbing and such didn't work out as well as GB84 because there was probably a whole lot less cocaine on that set.

Quote:
Grab the blu-ray out of the bargain bins. It's worth a dollar or two.
I wouldn't recommend the extended version, though. It just adds a bunch of new dance numbers to it.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:28 PM   #14
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche
 
Tazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: @play
Posts: 25,069
Default

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalFingJordan View Post
It did fine at the box office. Now you're just making up things.
looks like Ed was right: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostbusters_(2016_film)

Budget - $144 million

Domestic - $128,350,574

International - $100,796,935

Worldwide - $229,147,509

-----

Box Office

Ghostbusters grossed $128.3 million in North America and $100.8 million in other territories for a worldwide total of $229.1 million, with a net production budget of $144 million. Due to the large amount spent on marketing, the studio stated that the film would need to gross at least $300 million to break even. Before the release, director Paul Feig stated, "A movie like this has to at least get to like $500 million worldwide, and that’s probably low."

/shrug :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalFingJordan View Post
Ghostbusters 2016 was sold as the beginning of a new franchise for a new generation for half of the population, which is female. Changing course on that is culturally irresponsible and maybe even dangerous.
its a concern, maybe, but if it (much like the recent Charlie's Angels -reboot), fails to reach enuff of that audience to be a viable financial property that they cant even recover its budget from the combined worldwide market (let alone the domestic one), would U say that the answer is to just keep making them until they DO catch on?

I don't think U'll like the reply for that Q, if U were to ask it.
:/




Tazer
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:30 PM   #15
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche
 
Tazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: @play
Posts: 25,069
Default

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
May be called "Ghostbusters: Afterlife."

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/11...ters-afterlife





Tazer
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:04 AM   #16
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Evergreen State
Posts: 14,246
Blog Entries: 5
Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default

Yup, very exciting. The kids and mom are definitely Egon's family. They inherited all of Egon's toys when he died.

Also, people remember the "Manhattan Crossrip of 1984" but not the "1989 Statue of Liberty Walk"? Between this and the Ecto-1 not being the Ecto-1A, it's not looking great for GB2.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:11 PM   #17
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer
 
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Toshi Station picking up some power converters
Posts: 16,533
Default

Quote:
-----

Box Office



its a concern, maybe, but if it (much like the recent Charlie's Angels -reboot), fails to reach enuff of that audience to be a viable financial property that they cant even recover its budget from the combined worldwide market (let alone the domestic one), would U say that the answer is to just keep making them until they DO catch on?

I don't think U'll like the reply for that Q, if U were to ask it.
:/




Tazer
I would say, it's not even a concern. If they want to antagonize fans by virtue signaling, "this movie wasn't made for YOU", then don't complain when those same people dont show up to buy tickets. If bragging rights are what you're after, then enjoy them and don't whine that men are sexist for not going to see your movie.
__________________
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:12 PM   #18
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer
 
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Toshi Station picking up some power converters
Posts: 16,533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Yup, very exciting. The kids and mom are definitely Egon's family. They inherited all of Egon's toys when he died.

Also, people remember the "Manhattan Crossrip of 1984" but not the "1989 Statue of Liberty Walk"? Between this and the Ecto-1 not being the Ecto-1A, it's not looking great for GB2.
Now we're talking! I'm looking forward to this movie more and more!
__________________
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:54 PM   #19
Space Cop
The Dandy
 
Space Cop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Third State
Posts: 26,895
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
I would say, it's not even a concern. If they want to antagonize fans by virtue signaling, "this movie wasn't made for YOU", then don't complain when those same people dont show up to buy tickets. If bragging rights are what you're after, then enjoy them and don't whine that men are sexist for not going to see your movie.
The argument works both ways anyway. You could just as easily say that the 2016 movie insults the original fans and that current kids who love the old stuff (which there are a number of) will be confused. In the end, Hollywood is not going to make its decision upon hurting a minority fandom. And even if those few girls are confused and hurt, they can just pop in their blu-ray of the 2016 movie.
__________________
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
—Isaiah 9:6
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:38 PM   #20
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer
 
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Toshi Station picking up some power converters
Posts: 16,533
Default

Very few.
__________________
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:09 PM   #21
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Evergreen State
Posts: 14,246
Blog Entries: 5
Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.


"The 80s were like the Walking Dead," lol...

Also, whoa... I just realized that mine has a sign that says "SHANDOR MINING COMPANY."

As in... Ivo Shandor, the guy who freaking made the Cult of Gozer and built that building to bring in Gozer!
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:18 PM   #22
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche
 
Tazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: @play
Posts: 25,069
Default

Yo.

ya know.....that doesn't look bad at all; I cant wait to see the 2nd one in a few more months.

and speaking honestly: if the 2016 film (w/ same cast) had been more like *this*, than a complete reboot, I think it prolly would've done better/ been more accepted.





Tazer
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:25 PM   #23
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Evergreen State
Posts: 14,246
Blog Entries: 5
Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default

Uh oh, it's starting:

https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/...mpression=true
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:24 PM   #24
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer
 
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Toshi Station picking up some power converters
Posts: 16,533
Default

I think it's fantastic that fanboys ARE being rewarded. It's like the 2016 disaster never even happened. Let the falling of SJW tears begin!
__________________
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:52 PM   #25
BLACK HAND
Green Lantern Initiate
 
BLACK HAND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 457
Default

It looks like they are leaning heavily into the Stranger Things influence, which is fine, looks fun. I loved GB2, I hope they acknowledge it.
BLACK HAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.