The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics

Old 10-15-2019, 05:14 AM   #1
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Exclamation DC's '5G' Predictions/What We Know...

I know, I know.... there's already a 5G thread. That was more on the announcement than actually discussing what it might be and it seems the thread may have went a bit off the rails. This thread is more of what we think this might actually turn into, as well as what we know so far based on current comics.

What we know so far:

* '5G' stands for 5th Generation and is rumored to be the recasting of the bigger heroes in the DCU.

* It's been suggested that Jon Kent will be aged up again to replace his father as Superman proper.

* It has also been rumored that Luke Fox [Batwing] will take over as the new Batman.

* Sources claim the replacement heroes may not be the ones fans expect.

SPOILERS FOR CURRENT COMICS ARE BELOW!
YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

* In the Flash it seems as if Barry may die or be taken off of the board.

* In the [crappy] Teen Titans, the black and presumably gay Aqualad has been reintroduced.

* In Aquaman however, Mera is pregnant with Arthur's baby.

* In Hawkman, the hero has become one of the infected and is now Sky Tyrant.

* In Batman/Superman Shazam is one of the infected as well, and his solo title doesn't come out regularly enough to tie into Year of the Villain.

* The Green Lantern will be sidelined for 3 months for the Blackstars mini presumably followed by Morrison's 'season 2' of TGL.

Predictions for '5G':

With everything going in every direction possible in the DCU it's kinda hard to tell just what this will boil down to. Heroes from the near future coming to the past? Young heroes getting aged up ala Sins of Youth [where you classic YJ fans at?!?]?

I think this will be a 'possible future' story with the Justice League from around the year 2030 coming to present day after Year of the Villain and Event Leviathan does as much damage as it can. Similar to DC 1 Million, the heroes of the future will take the spotlight in the comics across the board. Titles like The Green Lantern and Shazam will be mostly unaffected, and the heroes replacing those guys will only appear in other titles such as Justice League and as cameos in other titles. As for who I think the replacements might be?

Superman - Jon Kent (obviously)
Batman - Luke Fox (also the popular rumor, but if I'm right this could just as well be further in the future and Terry McGinnis instead)
Wonder Woman - No idea unless Naomi or Cassie Sandsmark takes up the title. Possibly a new Amazon character even..?
Flash - the female/Asian Flash currently in the comics, for diversity's sake and because we've already seen different spins on Wallace...
Green Lantern - Either a new character (possibly even an alien), or somehow the Teen Lantern levels up to become an actual member of the GLC.
Aquaman - Since Aqualad is too obvious and I'm looking at the future, I'm gonna go with Aquababy.
Green Arrow - Connor Hawke, going out on a limb with this one. Maybe he'll be a GA of the future like in the tv series.
Hawkman & Shazam - Both of these depend on how the infected story plays out. I think Hawkman will just be reborn again with an altered MO, and Billy will likely get replaced as the 'main' Shazam by one of the other kids.

So... yeah. That's my predictions. A little bit DC 1 Million mixed with a little New52, using more history from the post DC Rebirth era.

So what does everyone else think? Are there any solo heroes I'm forgetting with titles that could be affected by this? Will other team based titles be affected by these changes outside of Justice League, like Outsiders, Teen Titans, and Young Justice? What about including some JSA legacies, or maybe the future children of that older Titans generation? The new Wonder Woman could be the daughter of Donna Troy... or the new Flash could just be one half of the Tornado Twins... SO MUCH RANDOM STUFF COULD GO DOWN!

Place yo' bets!

Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:06 AM   #2
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

DCeased, while out of continuity, gave us Black Canary as a Green Lantern. Which leads me to think that the next ring-bearer might be an established character that just never wore a ring.
Or they retroactively dub Jessica Cruz the 5G GL.
Michael Heide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:29 AM   #3
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Imagine Martian Manhunter or Miss Martian, maybe even Starfire becoming the first alien GL of 2814 in decades....

Old 10-15-2019, 08:50 AM   #4
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

A non-Earth GL from Sector 2814 would be great. That would be the first one since Abin Sur, wouldn't it?
Old 11-11-2019, 04:44 PM   #5
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

What if Batman has a heart attack ala Batman Beyond before 2019 is over, setting up the next Batman? That's how that cartoon/series begins...
Old 11-11-2019, 04:49 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ωmega Man View Post
* The Green Lantern will be sidelined for 3 months for the Blackstars mini presumably followed by Morrison's 'season 2' of TGL.
I'm wondering what's going to transpire simultaneous to this. Since all of "Blackstars" is just alternate universe stuff that doesn't even "matter."

Will all of 5G be like, "One Year Later"... except like 5 or 10 years?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:47 PM   #7
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

It's going to blow up in their faces. Do you think putting Joe Schmoe in a bat costume will continue to sell 90K copies a month? I bet it won't.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:37 AM   #8
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
It's going to blow up in their faces. Do you think putting Joe Schmoe in a bat costume will continue to sell 90K copies a month? I bet it won't.
When Gordon was Batman during Snyder's run, people kept buying the book. But it all depends on the creative team and how well they set things up. Tynion doesn't have enough pull. Johns would rush the setup.

My main problem is editorially mandating changes like that across the line. Even if one or two of them stick to become the next John Stewart or Kate Bishop, it's still breaking more runs than necessary.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:25 PM   #9
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
When Gordon was Batman during Snyder's run, people kept buying the book. But it all depends on the creative team and how well they set things up. Tynion doesn't have enough pull. Johns would rush the setup.

My main problem is editorially mandating changes like that across the line. Even if one or two of them stick to become the next John Stewart or Kate Bishop, it's still breaking more runs than necessary.
Everybody knew Gordon as Batman wouldn't last long. This, supposedly, is different.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:16 PM   #10
Space Cop
The Dandy

^Yeah, ditto when Azrael took over or even Dick as Batman. It was clear Bruce would be back even in the stories.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:31 PM   #11
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

If you don't think that it's clear now, I've got a bridge to sell to you.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:34 PM   #12
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
If you don't think that it's clear now, I've got a bridge to sell to you.
Ha. Fair enough. There might be a tad more pretense on DC's part, though I guess we'll know more when the solicits hit.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:22 PM   #13
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

And this is going to be company-wide, simultaneously?
Old 11-13-2019, 04:18 AM   #14
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

If we believe the rumors, then that's exactly the plan.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:11 PM   #15
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Which makes it seem like this will be very strange from a story point of view, in universe. Because it doesn't sound like a single event is causing these changeovers, so how bizarre will it seem for all the major heroes to just happen to be replaced at the same time for completely independent reasons?
Old 11-13-2019, 07:03 PM   #16
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Do we know if there will or won't be a time lapse?
Old 11-13-2019, 07:41 PM   #17
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

I don't think it matters. Tales from the Multiverse confirmed that another Crisis is coming ("The biggest one yet", yawn). This is most likely what Snyder and Capullo are working on right now. And I massively doubt that this whole 5G business is the status quo after that new Crisis. It would be suicide to have your most popular creators on a reality rewriting event, and to get rid of Clark and Bruce and Diana et al immediately afterwards.

Smart money says that they're throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks now, so that they know which characters to bring back after Crisis 2020. Which means that this won't need a One Year Later or whatever, and it most likely won't stick (unless people really dig Nu Hawkman or whatever).
Old 11-13-2019, 07:55 PM   #18
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
I don't think it matters. Tales from the Multiverse confirmed that another Crisis is coming ("The biggest one yet", yawn).
I bet it's going to "shake the DCU to its foundations."
Old 11-13-2019, 08:00 PM   #19
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

"Everything you've ever known is WRONG!"
Old 11-13-2019, 08:04 PM   #20
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

"Nothing will ever be the same!"