No announcement yet.

The Doctor Who Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah. It's really not that hard to believe that due to age, experience, culture, and/or loneliness that sex and romance are off his radar.

Maybe it's something loss in our society too. We greet avuncular relationships with suspicion.

Comment

• http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho.../Caroline-John
      I am a friend of Caboose

Party of Three fantasy webcomic

Comment

• Yo.

Originally posted by Bolerathon View Post
        It just makes sense to me since he spends so much of his time teaching them things and treats them with a mentor like contempt. After all he really didn't want to leave Susan but knows he has to get out of the way. It's not till we get to Perri that shows signs of changing but then the change to Colin Baker makes the moment pass and they adjust to being friends once they get over the bickering.

It bothers me how shallow it is when the guys in charge think the only way a relationship can be involving is if it is romantic. It's just lazy. There is depth to be found in superficiality and not every member of the opposite sex is going to be an earth shattering romance.

I like it when the Dr is a weird space alien with a slight disconnect from humans. Too bad now he isn't but the writer is.
        hold on: didnt we see those very things with the 9th Doc & Rose (the slight disconnect), and then the 10th & Donna (the platonic relationship)??

also, I dont think the 11th was ever in love w/Amy, inasmuch as playing the guilty/apologetic guardian role..........

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
        Yeah. It's really not that hard to believe that due to age, experience, culture, and/or loneliness that sex and romance are off his radar.

Maybe it's something loss in our society too. We greet avuncular relationships with suspicion.
        *runs to go lookup "av-u-nclar"*

<.< >.> <.<

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
        Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tazer View Post
          hold on: didnt we see those very things with the 9th Doc & Rose (the slight disconnect), and then the 10th & Donna (the platonic relationship)??
          The Dr and Rose were mooning over each other almost from the word go. Her departure was treated like him losing the love of his life.

Originally posted by Tazer View Post
          also, I dont think the 11th was ever in love w/Amy, inasmuch as playing the guilty/apologetic guardian role..........[/COLOR]
          That only works if you ignore the mega contrived "girl who waited" bullshit, which was peppered all the way through. My issue is forced, pointless romances and total, screaming melodrama (with reference to interpersonal relationships) which the series had had in spades. Writers that refuse to acknowledge simplicity really bug me. Not every single aspect of a story needs to be convoluted and Moffat is so up his own ass about stuff like that. The guy clearly thinks he's some kind of tv genius when all he managed to do was make sci fi into soap opera and Sherlock Holmes crap.
          Goodbye Christopher Hitchins 1949 - 2011

Comment

• Aww. Liz Shaw is not my favorite companion but Caroline John did a good job with the role. RIP.

...also, I dont think the 11th was ever in love w/Amy, inasmuch as playing the guilty/apologetic guardian role..........
            True, but she did try to jump him. And even with Donna they had to make a big deal about it not being romantic/sexual and he still kissed her.

*runs to go lookup "av-u-nclar"*

<.< >.> <.<
            Tazer
            Now you can impress your friends with the word. Try to drop it in casual conversation.

...That only works if you ignore the mega contrived "girl who waited" bullshit, which was peppered all the way through. My issue is forced, pointless romances and total, screaming melodrama (with reference to interpersonal relationships) which the series had had in spades. Writers that refuse to acknowledge simplicity really bug me. Not every single aspect of a story needs to be convoluted and Moffat is so up his own ass about stuff like that...
            NuWho seems to proceed with the assumption that there's at least sexual tension between the Doctor and his companion. They can no longer just accept a platonic relationship at face value.

I agree with the other point to. I miss one-off stories that in no way tie into the rest of the season or reveal some universal secret.

I'm kind of getting fed up with NuWho. Nowadays, I look forward more to getting a classic story on DVD (there's still a fair amount I haven't seen) than I do to the season premier.

Comment

• so my boy ben browder will be on doctor who

http://blastr.com/2012/03/farscapes-ben-browder-do.php
              .................................................. ..........................

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                I'm kind of getting fed up with NuWho. Nowadays, I look forward more to getting a classic story on DVD (there's still a fair amount I haven't seen) than I do to the season premier.
                TruWho all the way!

Just ordered "The Sun Makers" and "The Daemons" and watched through all mine apart from "The War Games". Upon yet another rewatch of Timelash I realised that the timelash itself has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

Comment

• For anyone that happens to live close to Kentucky, Peter Davison will be appearing at Fandom Fest next weekend. I'm going. It's probably the only time I'll get to meet any regeneration of the Doctor. If I get a picture I'll post it.
                  Time,Space and Will Power

Comment

• Originally posted by TazzMission View Post
                    so my boy ben browder will be on doctor who...
                    Awesome!

TruWho all the way!

Just ordered "The Sun Makers" and "The Daemons" and watched through all mine apart from "The War Games". Upon yet another rewatch of Timelash I realised that the timelash itself has absolutely nothing to do with anything.
                    It's really sad but I have a certain fondness for "Timelash." I guess it's like loving the ugly stepchild.
                    Space Cop
                    The Dandy
                    Last edited by Space Cop; 06-22-2012, 02:11 AM.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Space Cop;716047]
                      Originally posted by TazzMission View Post
                      so my boy ben browder will be on doctor who...

Awesome!
                      now i have an excuse to actually start watching it

ive seen it advertised manytimes but never really thought on checking it out
                      .................................................. ..........................

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense

Comment

• [QUOTE=Space Cop;716047]
                        Originally posted by TazzMission View Post
                        It's really sad but I have a certain fondness for "Timelash." I guess it's like loving the ugly stepchild.
                        It's up there with "Invasion of the Dinosaurs" as the very worst of TruWho but at least Timelash has Paul Darrow chewing the scenery. It's perfect MST3K fodder. It annoys me less than "The Two Doctors" since that could have been good but Timelash was going to be garbage from the get go. The writer had just finished working as an ambulance driver and wanted to do a Dalek story but the producers said no to newbies writing Daleks. They also got H.G. Wells middle name wrong. The commentaries are great cause everyone is just bitching away about it with Darrow making passes at Nicola Bryant.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Bolerathon;716106]
                          Originally posted by Space Cop View Post

It's up there with "Invasion of the Dinosaurs" as the very worst of TruWho but at least Timelash has Paul Darrow chewing the scenery. It's perfect MST3K fodder. It annoys me less than "The Two Doctors" since that could have been good but Timelash was going to be garbage from the get go. The writer had just finished working as an ambulance driver and wanted to do a Dalek story but the producers said no to newbies writing Daleks. They also got H.G. Wells middle name wrong. The commentaries are great cause everyone is just bitching away about it with Darrow making passes at Nicola Bryant.
                          Yeah, I watched the commentary, it's pretty funny with the cross finger pointing. It's a show that dares you to like it. I haven't seen the infamous Dinosaurs yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                            Yeah, I watched the commentary, it's pretty funny with the cross finger pointing. It's a show that dares you to like it. I haven't seen the infamous Dinosaurs yet.
                            The dinosaurs aren't even the worst thing about it. Don't get me wrong, they are the lamest things you will ever see but it gets worse. It's 6 episodes long and each one is 25 mins. From the end of ep 1 the plot does not progress till 22 1/2 minutes into episode 6 and then it all ends in 2 minutes. The Doctor is immune to the special time field because "he's a timelord". Seriously, that's it.

Comment

• Yo.

The Dr and Rose were mooning over each other almost from the word go. Her departure was treated like him losing the love of his life.
                              the TENTH Doc & Rose did the mooning; her dealings #9 had more of an adversarial edge to them (again, much like Donna & #10)

That only works if you ignore the mega contrived "girl who waited" bullshit, which was peppered all the way through.
                              actually, it was BECUASE of her being "the girl who waited" (*twice* mind ya) that his behavior makes sense given the context, but I didnt detect the same type of emotional depth w/her that his 10th iteration had w/Rose or Martha.

My issue is forced, pointless romances and total, screaming melodrama (with reference to interpersonal relationships) which the series had had in spades. Writers that refuse to acknowledge simplicity really bug me. Not every single aspect of a story needs to be convoluted and Moffat is so up his own ass about stuff like that. The guy clearly thinks he's some kind of tv genius when all he managed to do was make sci fi into soap opera and Sherlock Holmes crap.
                              ok, I can agree w/that in a general sense, but this version of the show *has been* a bit more varied than yur making it out to have been.

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
                              Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tazer View Post
                                ok, I can agree w/that in a general sense, but this version of the show *has been* a bit more varied than yur making it out to have been.
                                The non romance companions don't get much airtime with the exception of Donna. The Dr had a thing for Rose as did Mickey, Jack wanted to screw everyone, Martha started off wanting him as did Amy and Rory was just a tag along for her. River may be the worst of them all since she just loves him for no reason out of the blue and she had no reason to be there at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X