Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hal's first influence by Parallax (GL Vol. 2 #224)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hal's first influence by Parallax (GL Vol. 2 #224)

We go back now to GL Vol. 2, #224 (final issue of the volume).

Here Hal enters the Central Power Battery, immediately after Sinestro is executed on Oa and the CPB is about to implode.

Hal nears the core inside the Central Power Battery.

Hal reaches the core and sees the actual Yellow Impurity. We learned in Rebirth that this is, in fact, Parallax itself.

We see that Sinestro's seperated consciousness has grafted itself onto the Yellow Impurity/Parallax here, or at least is controlling it directly. An early foreshadowing of the Master/Pet relationship that Sinestro and Parallax seem to have later on.

Hal, no, stop!

Oops... looks like Hal Jordan himself has just released, or at least certainly awakened the Yellow Impurity/Parallax.

Rebirth would have us believe that this is the point where Parallax begins to influence Hal. When you see Hal next in GL Vol. 3, #1 (the ACW comics notwithstanding) he has the white sideburns.

Got me believing it. . Funny you posted this as I was just thinking when all the Sinestro "first time executed threads" started popping up, I thought back to this issue. It certainly does seem like they took some plot from a living yellow impurity that bonded with Sinestro's soul. Where it starts to differ dramatically, pretty much up until Kyle got the ring, was that it was always told that the yellow impurity was a NECESSARY component of the green power, but as we know now, its just collected willpower juju from living things, and it doesn't need to have a yellow impurity. For some reason I prefer explanations like the willpower/fear than the "green plasma made by the little blue dudes and/or the planet" story, only because its fleshed out and definitive. But that's just me
    GLC2814.4
    Bearer of the Blue Ring
    Last edited by GLC2814.4; 07-20-2008, 02:30 PM. Reason: Cuz I spell like a three year old

Comment

Nice, now if only they build on what was done before instead of just making new stuff up, and pretending the older issues just didn't happen.

Comment

But if the battery exploded, wouldn't Parallax have escaped anyway? And with lots of powerless GL's around he could have had a field day.

Comment

Here's the thing though, as of the time that happened Parallax wasn't even a glimmer in a writers dreams yet, thus Geoff can as he tends to do, refer to those events but do it in a slightly twisted way that deviates from what was actually printed so it works for his story.

Darth_Andrea
          Darth_Andrea
          Owned by Natu
          Last edited by Darth_Andrea; 07-20-2008, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Limelantern View Post
            But if the battery exploded, wouldn't Parallax have escaped anyway? And with lots of powerless GL's around he could have had a field day.
            The battery didn't explode back then... just decayed. Weak that it couldn't generate new rings, but still enough energy in it that the existing GLs with rings could still be powered.

Comment

I know Parallax wasn't even dreamed up yet, but saying it was all Hal's fault is going kind of far. The battery would have blown up and Parallax would have escaped anyway if we are still comparing this event to the current story.

Comment

Originally posted by Limelantern View Post
                I know Parallax wasn't even dreamed up yet, but saying it was all Hal's fault is going kind of far. The battery would have blown up and Parallax would have escaped anyway if we are still comparing this event to the current story.
                Oh, I think you misunderstand. I'm talking about the first influence of Parallax, not the possession (that didn't occur until ET)... according to Geoff, Parallax was still influencing Hal even before he blew up the CPB in GL Vol. 3 #50, and the white sideburns were an indicator of this influence.

After this issue (the scans here) is when the white sideburns and the first influence begins. And as you can see... he's the one that releases/awakens Parallax here when he's punching that hole.

Comment

Wow, so all this Parallax entity stuff really works more than some of us would like it too. Good on Geoff for connecting all of this and slightly adding to certain elements without deviating to far from what was there to start with.

I really, really need to start reading the old stuff. Unfortunately in all my years of reading GL. I've yet to read anything before Vol 3. So this is all new to me. Great stuff. Definitely another good find Andrew.

Comment

How's it Hal's fault? Was Hal suposed to let Sinestro win?

Comment

Originally posted by listerine View Post
                      How's it Hal's fault? Was Hal suposed to let Sinestro win?
                      Well, sure he didn't know what would happen afterward, but he's still the one that pressed the button, so to speak.

It's like, there's a serial killer on the loose. The only one that can catch him is an even bigger serial killer, who's in prison. I let out the serial killer to catch the first one... but the second serial killer is still free. It's still my fault that I let the second serial killer out, isn't it?

Comment

Yes, but you're example isn't the same as Hal/Parallax. If you willingly set a serial killer free, then you knew what you're doing. Hal had no way of knowing what would happen. If anyone's to blame, wouldn't it be the Guardian for not warning Hal?

Comment

Originally posted by listerine View Post
                          Yes, but you're example isn't the same as Hal/Parallax. If you willingly set a serial killer free, then you knew what you're doing. Hal had no way of knowing what would happen. If anyone's to blame, wouldn't it be the Guardian for not warning Hal?
                          There were no Guardians present, they'd all left since "Millennium" to mate with the Zamarons. Hal charged into the core with no thought as to potential consequences.

Comment

Because too much was at stake and he didn't have time to hesitate. I haven't read the issue, but I got that much from the scans.

Comment

Then the Guardians left a handgun in the reach of children, I don't believe this is Hal's fault.

Comment

Working...
                              X