• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what? have i done something wrong? not again damn it

Comment

• Originally posted by The British Lantern View Post
      what? have i done something wrong? not again damn it
      ...are we talking about Batman: The Dark Knight by Paul Jenkins and David Finch?

Comment

• yeah im only 3 issues in at the moment is it bad then? i like it

Comment

yeah im only 3 issues in at the moment is it bad then? i like it
          Ha, well I'm really not a fan. I just don't find Finch's plot to be well thought out/good at all (though I suppose I came into the book a little biased since I absolutely hated the previous volume also by Finch), dropped it after one issue. I know I should cut Jenkins some slack since he's being forced to script based off of Finch's plot points...but the story was really just pretty terrible to me. The one redeeming thing I've heard about the book is that pretty much ANYTHING can happen in it, lol, and Finch is certainly capable of a jaw dropping splash page here and there, but it just isn't for me. If you like it though keep on trucking bud.
          Hypo
          Lil' Leaguer
          Last edited by Hypo; 02-15-2012, 10:45 PM.

Comment

• to be honest it's my first batman book so maybe that makes me biased it was the easiest form me to jump on

Comment

to be honest it's my first batman book so maybe that makes me biased it was the easiest form me to jump on
              First ever? As in you've never read any before?

Comment

• yeah not a single issue or trade before. I was like I can't call myself a comic book fan with out reading batman

Comment

yeah not a single issue or trade before. I was like I can't call myself a comic book fan with out reading batman
                  This will probably be very helpful. For new readers I always suggest Batman: Year One. It is the one story that EVERY Batman fan should read, hell if you just like good comics you should read it.

Out of curiosity what made Dark Knight more accessible to you than other books such as Batman or Detective Comics?

Comment

• thanks

i don't it felt like the plot was very self contained you know? I just sort of picked it up at random an kept reading that's how i deiced most of the books i read just pick it up with out thinking

Comment

• Thoughts on Batman #6 (a tad spoilerish):

The best of this issue to me was definitely the art. Capullo does some good work here and I really enjoyed it, I just love his style in general. I particularly liked the bits where he made Bruce more batlike and the court more owllike. I think this was the most visually striking book this week.

On the writing side there were some things I liked and some things I didn't like but overall it was a pretty solid effort. Seeing Bruce act like the goddamn Batman and kick some ass was definitely nice after last month's issue and I did like the way the owls were written even if there was a bit of mustache twirling over the top villain feel to them. However the dialogue during the fight scene felt kinda meh to me and honestly what was the point of the cliffhanger with the river? I mean we just got a cathartic release with Bruce kicking the shit out of Talon, did we really need the whole "he might drown" bit?

Really the one thing holding me back from really enjoying this run is Morrison's batepic. The similarities are pretty striking with Snyder's being a more standard superhero version of it. I suppose it's not surprising seeing as when Snyder was interviewed back when he was first taking over Detective Comics and was asked about his favorite Batman stories he just kept raving about Grant's work so it makes sense that he would model his story after the Black Glove. It's really hard for me to fault a writer for using the whole Secret Society of Villains shtick given that we're talking about comics but man, it's like I just finished reading this story like last year.

Anyways, 3.5/5 from me.

Comment

to be honest it's my first batman book so maybe that makes me biased it was the easiest form me to jump on
                        I'm glad your enjoying the book but Batman books (for the most part) only get better from there. You should check out the other bat books starring Bruce Wayne. Batman & Robin is my favorite as it explores the relationship between Bruce and his son Damian. Detective Comics is just...something. It's ok. Batman is pretty much everyones favorite right now (critics and fans) but it isn't on the top of my pile.

Comment

• Comment

• Here's hoping they are good.

Comment

• Originally posted by FrEaKjOkErXXX View Post
                              I'm glad your enjoying the book but Batman books (for the most part) only get better from there. You should check out the other bat books starring Bruce Wayne. Batman & Robin is my favorite as it explores the relationship between Bruce and his son Damian. Detective Comics is just...something. It's ok. Batman is pretty much everyones favorite right now (critics and fans) but it isn't on the top of my pile.
                              ^This.

Dark Knight was the second or third book of the new 52 that I tried and dropped.

Comment

• THE OWL SIGNAL: Tomasi's "Batman and Robin" Faces A "Night of the Owls"

Comment

Working...
                                X