Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netflix's Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

+ YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

So, it is period (theoretically 1968 since that's when Night of the Living Dead was in theaters). Cool. That'll give it some style and fit the comic it's based on. I wish it were releasing a tad earlier so I could space it out in October, but that's not much of a complaint.

Space Cop
    The Dandy
    Last edited by Space Cop; 10-04-2018, 03:18 AM.

Comment

One thing I'm a bit worried about is the lack of Salem in the trailers, I'm beginning to suspect that we won't be seeing much of him, especially with Kiernan Shipka's cat allergy.

Comment

^Really? You'd think ability to be around cats would be a hiring point for that role.

Comment

According to the interviews they didn't discover that she was allergic until they started filming.

I was able to attend the Netflix panel at NYCC tonight and they screened the first episode for it. It had some pacing issues but I think this show will be a good example of how to reinvent a series, it was dark without being grim and gritty and also had humor without being over the top silly like the original.

Sadly my fears about Salem not being a huge part of the show seem to be true, though I thought he stole the show whenever he was on screen.

Comment

+ YouTube Video

Comment

Does that make you feel better? Salem has to be there in some way even if they had to minimize his role.

Comment

Nope, because that's from the pilot which I got to see at NYCC. It was the only time he spoke in the episode even though he was on screen doing stuff in cat form.

Guessing he just won't talk when he's a cat.

Comment

It's pretty cool that you got to see that. What was the vibe of the audience watching it?

Comment

The crowd was into it, it was the last bit of a very good panel. Started with the cast of Umbrella Academy being on stage and we got to see the trailer for the show which hasn't been released elsewhere I believe. Then the cast of The Haunting of Hill House came out and we got to see a few clips from the show. Next was Lisa Henson and Louis Leterrier to talk about the upcoming prequel to Jim Henson's Dark Crystal and finally the cast of Sabrina and the screening of the first episode.

Netflix put on a good show.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypo View Post
                      The crowd was into it, it was the last bit of a very good panel . . .
                      I'm really looking forward to Sabrina, but I might have to wait a bit because I see an old show I've been Netflixing is expiring mid-November and I have a lot of it left.

Originally posted by Hypo View Post
                      ...Next was Lisa Henson and Louis Leterrier to talk about the upcoming prequel to Jim Henson's Dark Crystal . . .
                      At the con I went to last weekend, Bill Diamond was there with a display that included his new design for that show (among other puppets). It was pretty neat.

Space Cop
                      The Dandy
                      Last edited by Space Cop; 10-24-2018, 02:05 PM.

Comment

For the record, I loved the crap out of this show. Moreso the first season. The second season seemed to take... a certain slant, but emerged from it and still pulled off some cool stuff.

Comment

I tried it and liked some aspects, but it felt annoyingly political, so I dropped it after 4 episodes of season one. I wish the comic (which I loved) would come back.
                          Space Cop
                          The Dandy
                          Last edited by Space Cop; 10-21-2019, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                            I tried it and liked some aspects, but it felt annoyingly political, so I dropped it after 4 episodes of season one.
                            Really? I didn't get a large political vibe from the first season. Maybe a general "toxic masculinity" thing.

The second season though was a bit of a chore early on. One of the female characters decides to identity as a male, yet they keep sucking at basketball on the boys' team... so Sabrina has to show up and use a magic spell to cheat and make them win (I think the same episode has Sabrina using her magic to cheat on a chemistry competition which the show regards as a strictly male thing previously). Which is a very strange message. A girl can do anything a boy can do... as long as you have a friend with magic that can help you cheat and win?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
                              Really? I didn't get a large political vibe from the first season. Maybe a general "toxic masculinity" thing. . .
                              That was definitely what I got from it. By and large (Harvey would seem to be the exception), males were all bad and males with power are the epitome of evil. I know that stuff is common in modern shows, but I don't watch many modern shows. I think I just can't relate to High School kids in entertainment anymore.

Teen feminist witches banding together against the evil guys just isn't doing it for me. Mind you, I don't really like current TV shows much at all and the shows I do follow tend to be retro (GLOW and Stranger Things---neither of which I'm caught up on) or outright period pieces (The Crown and Victoria).

Comment

Working...
                              X