The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV

Old 01-28-2015, 04:32 AM   #1
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Default The Ghostbusters reboot thread

this just in and i dont even know any of these people. i also felt this warrented its own thread

Female cast Revealed!!

movie news is just hitting us hard this week with all kinds of great stories. The latest comes from over at The Hollywood Reporter, where they have heard from the new Ghostbusters reboot camp that they have finally decided own their "Big Four" for their all female lead reboot of the classic Ghostbusters' franchise.

After weeks and weeks of actresses from all over hollywood auditioning for roles, the studio has decided to go with Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, Leslie Jones, and Kate Mckinnon. The second two female leads are the lesser known actresses are currently Saturday Night Live cast members.

The film is being directed by Paul Feig and written by Katie Dippold, Feig has worked with Wiig and McCarthy before on Bridesmaids, which was a critical and financial success a few years ago and kind of launched McCarthy career to where it is now. So the chemistry between the actresses and director should be nice.

The film is set to begin filming sometime this summer as they are shooting for a release date of sometime in the summer of 2016, no confirmations yet on the date.

Overall i'm not to excited about this project, I'm a huge fan of the original Ghostbusters film and its sequel. Its a shame we never got the true sequel to the originals we always wanted. I'm interested slightly in the film, but with a lot of hesitation. I like the casting of Wiig and McCarthy a little bit, but overall I thought they should have a different we, I think the all female casting thing is kind of a gimmicky kind of thing, hopefully this film will be okay and not tarnish the legacy of what Bill Murray and crew gave us 30 years ago.

source

http://www.eastcoastmovieguys.com/mo...-fast-revealed

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:47 AM   #2
Red Lantern Djs
Fatality's Blacksmith

That'll shake things up. Good reporting

Noir Movies! Late Night Every Saturday http://moviestvnetwork.com/noir
Red Lantern Djs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:49 AM   #3
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Lantern Djs View Post
That'll shake things up. Good reporting
i really wanted to give this a shot but i have zero idea on who any of the choices are they casted.

i dont mind a all female team but is this really the only set of female comedians they can get? if so thats sad

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:30 AM   #4
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

Pass.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:46 AM   #5
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
Pass.
Very much so, not interested in the least.

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:31 AM   #6
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

I'm so torn on this subject.

On the one hand, we've been teased and teased and teased about Ghostbusters 3 with all the regulars back in some proper fashion... and all sorts of blame has been thrown around for why this hasn't ever happened, both toward a script that Bill Murray wouldn't ever sign on for, then he'd sign on for if he was only a ghost and then not even then, and so on... but then the big game changer was when Harold Ramis died. Really. This was the point. Now it was never clearer we'd never actually get the Ghostbusters 3 we'd imagined in our minds (only fleetingly realized in limited form in the game, which reunited all)... because such a thing was now impossible. And then Reitman said he wouldn't direct it.... another nail.

What makes it difficult is so many years of Aykroyd promising us GB3, giving us dates, and even saying if Murray doesn't sign on, doesn't matter... they'd soldier ahead (he was wrong... Sony absolutely thought it mattered, and those latest leaked E-mails revealed it was so important to them they even considered suing Murray for blocking GB3)... so much tease, and now we ultimately arrive at...

A Ghostbusters reboot. That nobody wanted (it worked for Total Recall and Robocop, right?).

Don't get me wrong. At this point in the game, there will and cannot be any kind of ideal GB3, even as older men, in some kind of Rambo 4 fashion. There can't. Ramis died... that's 1/4 of the equation. Egon is gone. It's dead. And if we're to factor Murray's disillusionment about everything too... a proper GB3 with just Stanz and Zeddmore? That wouldn't be anything.

All of that said... the people behind the reboot are cowards. The only reason I've read they're rebooting things from scratch are because they'd really rather NYC and the world be encountering a ghost invasion from scratch. I suspect the real reason is because it's a not-so-clever way for them to avoid any comparisons to the original films and universe and just dodge that bullet of expectations entirely. Mostly critically.

But what's the harm? If it's a new gang of female Ghostbusters doing their thing and re-launching the franchise, great. But what's the harm if, say, the second act, they try their own thing and fail... and they go and seek help from Ray Stanz and Zeddmore (or Murray, if he pulls his head out of his ass and realizes the last 15 years of his body of work means a whole hell of a lot less to folks than even one three quarters-assed GB3)? And are given a bounty of new tech and equipment, and know-how from the old generation? That'd be awesome! And if Stanz and Zeddmore want to tag along in some effective fashion in the third act in some capacity, even better! We'd be happy.

Sadly the people making this are too chickenshit and we're just supposed to chalk it up to "It's for the new generation!" Well fuck that. And fuck this movie.

Expect to see Aykroyd and Hudson in brief cameos where the extent of their acting is pretending to be excited about their role in things. You can bet Paul Feig will make that happen. And as characters other than Stanz and Zeddmore. Bet me.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:46 AM   #7
myuserid
Lantern Hex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_GL View Post
Very much so, not interested in the least.
Agreed.

It's a pass for me too.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:51 PM   #8
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Big fucking pass for me.

You know you're in trouble when you have to raid SNL's lackluster talent pool to find comedians for your movie. This is a perfect example of giving people what they asked for, but in a way that they don't want.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:48 PM   #9
Booster Beetle
Will break before he bends

I was gonna pass even before the casting of Melissa McCarthy was confirmed

Booster Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:12 PM   #10
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
Big fucking pass for me.

You know you're in trouble when you have to raid SNL's lackluster talent pool to find comedians for your movie. This is a perfect example of giving people what they asked for, but in a way that they don't want.
gillian anderson from xfiles wanted to be a part of this. now that i would be fine with. heck if they got amy schumer id be fine with that

Last edited by TazzMission; 01-28-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:50 PM   #11
plastroncafe
Alpha-Lantern

I think it's less not wanting to be compared to the original movie, and more not wanting to deal with the wet hot mess that was Ghostbusters 2.

They had me at Ghostbusters.
But the movie can't possibly be anywhere near as entertaining as the shrieking wails from the tittybaby fanboys.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:00 PM   #12
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I think it's less not wanting to be compared to the original movie, and more not wanting to deal with the wet hot mess that was Ghostbusters 2.

They had me at Ghostbusters.
But the movie can't possibly be anywhere near as entertaining as the shrieking wails from the tittybaby fanboys.
dont get me wrong im fine with a all female team but i seriously cant think how any of them can match people like ramis akryod murray when it comes to the charachters

Old 01-28-2015, 04:21 PM   #13
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

I think the problem with this reboot is that, so far as Ghostbusters goes, it wasn't the CONCEPT that I enjoyed, so much as the particular cast. So a reboot seems somewhat pointless to me.

I'm certainly prepared to give it a shot if I hear that the new cast makes it as fun as the old one. But otherwise, I'll just be scratching my head as to why they bothered.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:21 PM   #14
plastroncafe
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
dont get me wrong im fine with a all female team but i seriously cant think how any of them can match people like ramis akryod murray when it comes to the charachters
Oh I wasn't suggesting that any of you guys were whiny tittybabies.
This is the most level-headed mostly-dude conversation I've seen on the topic.

I honestly have no idea what to expect when it comes to characterization, or even the overall plot of the movie. Guess time will tell.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:29 PM   #15
Mister Ed

Well, at least the effects will almost certainly be better than in the original.

The ghosts in the original were fine, but those weird demon-dog things were pretty cheesy, effects-wise.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:42 PM   #16
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Well, at least the effects will almost certainly be better than in the original.

The ghosts in the original were fine, but those weird demon-dog things were pretty cheesy, effects-wise.
We definitely have different tastes there. I would pick stop motion over sleek CGI any day of the week. I love the terror dogs.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:58 PM   #17
Mister Ed

I love stop motion if the whole film is stop motion, or even if ALL the effects are stop motion. To have only one element in the whole movie stop motion, I find jarring.

I liked them in the scenes when they were puppets, though. If at all possible I usually prefer physical models and puppets to CGI, but stop motion is hit or miss for me as an addition to live-action movies. If ALL the effects are stop-motion, it is part of the tone, and I roll with it. But when you have it in a few isolated scenes (and especially when, as in this case, the lighting of the stop-motion models OBVIOUSLY doesn't match the surroundings), it just looks cheesy to me.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 01-28-2015 at 05:07 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:04 PM   #18
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

This just reeks as attempt to hop on Melissa McCarthy's current popularity. I personally don't find her funny,so big pass for me.

Also I hate reboots. Why is a sequal such a dirty thing? If you would have a had a story where,Akroid was training the next batch of ghostbusters,or maybe one of the original members Son/Daughter reluctantly inherits the business. I could give that a chance.

Everything I am hearing about this sounds awful so I am just not going to waste the time or money.