The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Video Games
FLASHCHAT

Qward

Old 09-18-2013, 03:09 AM   #1
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL
Default Grand Theft Auto V (PS3 + X-Box 360)

Since this game is one of the most highly anticipated releases I can remember, and it seems quite a few of us will be getting it (already got it), I"m making it it's own thread for the time being.

Here we can also re-up our gamer tags to add whoever on the forum we haven't added yet.

Currently waiting for it to load while I drink a beer. Skipping the gym tomorrow morning for sure, might be up a while tonight. Very much looking forward to checking it out though

PS3 users add me: maverick_429

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:30 AM   #2
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

So far, its pretty fucking hilarious. Lamar especially.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:34 AM   #3
Maverick_GL

Default :Moderator:

This game is already awesome, and I just started.

Edit: and now I'm high as fuck...I can't believe they let you smoke weed in this. Amazing.

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman

Last edited by Maverick_GL; 09-18-2013 at 03:56 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_GL View Post
This game is already awesome, and I just started.

Edit: and now I'm high as fuck...I can't believe they let you smoke weed in this. Amazing.
I spent 15 minutes getting Franklin high on the couch watching the animated political satire - IMPOTENT RAGE.

XBL Tag - Uptown2007

GTA Online launches in two weeks, so hopefully we'll all be caught up enough in the game to know what we're doing

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Last edited by JohnnyV; 09-18-2013 at 05:17 PM.
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

It took damn near 30 minutes for the game to load, but was well worth it when the game started. I kind of didn't get the whole bank robbery scene, unless it was to familarize you with the controls.

The dialogue in the game is hilarious, although there are too many "N" bombs for my liking. All Blacks don't talk like that, so it annoys me a bit.

I only did a couple of missions because I picked up the game late last night. I'll try to get some more playing time in tonight. So far, his mom seems like Smokey's mom from Friday. LOL.

Some of the controls seem to have a slow response time, particularly when you use the rear view feature to see who/what is behind you.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
It took damn near 30 minutes for the game to load, but was well worth it when the game started. I kind of didn't get the whole bank robbery scene, unless it was to familarize you with the controls.
I think it acts as a prologue for the rest of the game. [SMALL SPOILERS]The premise of the game is that the three characters you control are trying to pull of heists to make more money. And two of the characters you control in the prologue, Michael and Trevor, will show up again as you progress in the game. And you control Franklin first to see how he ends up connecting with the other two.

It looks as though Michael was able fake his death and Trevor was able to escape the cops. My question is - how was Michael able to fake his death? He was gunned down and the cops had the area surrounded, so I'm interested to see where that goes. My guess is they were working for someone higher up and he gave them up for a plea deal and he's now in the witness protection program. But that's just my guess.
[/SPOILERS]

Quote:

I only did a couple of missions because I picked up the game late last night. I'll try to get some more playing time in tonight. So far, his mom seems like Smokey's mom from Friday. LOL.
Haha, good catch, I thought the same thing. I also thought the beginning of the game with the psychiatrist was a hat tip to The Sopranos. In fact, Michael's entire story so far, besides the prologue , reminds me of The Sopranos.

Last edited by JohnnyV; 09-18-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
havik
Torch Bearer

Send a message via Yahoo to havik

i don't play this series but my xbl tag is havik612
havik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #8
Scarecrow
Senior Corps Member

I actually rented it today on Ps3. How the hell there was still a copy out there to rent I don't know. Hopefully I like it so I don't have to delete all this info it is so painstakingly adding to my Ps3. lol

Sig made by Zander Yurami
Scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:56 AM   #9
Maverick_GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
How the hell there was still a copy out there to rent I don't know.
Because everyone else bought it. I didn't even know you could rent games anymore.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:53 AM   #10
Scarecrow
Senior Corps Member

Redbox/Blockbuster. lol

Old 09-19-2013, 06:43 AM   #11
d3v1lb0y
Red Lantern Black Ops

I will save my $$$$ for Watchdogs, Arkaham Origins & Assasin's Creed IV

PS: d3v1lb0y8

facebook: d3v1lb0y888 ...twitter: d3v1lb0y_8 ..instagram: d3v1lb0y
d3v1lb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:16 AM   #12
Maverick_GL

This game is fucking crazy. For a GTA game it is hyper-realistic. It's hard enough trying to beat down a couple people without getting killed, and don't even think about going after the cops early on, they waste you like nothing.

And then there's the fact that barely 2 hours into it, I've got the option to switch between two different characters. This is the sort of game you better set aside half a day to to make any real progress in.

It's almost overwhelming considering how past GTA games played, including RDR. This game wants your life...no, your soul, and it's basically worth handing over since it's so in depth. I don't even know...

Edit: "real" tits in the strip club...no bra/bikini/whatever. Wasn't expecting that. Is anything held back here? I hope not.

Last edited by Maverick_GL; 09-20-2013 at 06:19 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #13
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

Quote:
This game is fucking crazy. For a GTA game it is hyper-realistic. It's hard enough trying to beat down a couple people without getting killed, and don't even think about going after the cops early on, they waste you like nothing.

And then there's the fact that barely 2 hours into it, I've got the option to switch between two different characters. This is the sort of game you better set aside half a day to to make any real progress in.

It's almost overwhelming considering how past GTA games played, including RDR. This game wants your life...no, your soul, and it's basically worth handing over since it's so in depth. I don't even know...

Edit: "real" tits in the strip club...no bra/bikini/whatever. Wasn't expecting that. Is anything held back here? I hope not.
So far, I concur that it's definitely overwhelming. Which I like. One thing they've done, which is a first in GTA if I'm not mistaken, is that the entire map is opened up to you at the very beginning. Fucking love it!

Spent a good couple of hours just exploring the area. Here's a story that shows the awesomeness of the game. So I took my jeep up this high cliff, just to see how far I could push it. I get to the top and start shooting wolves, and trying to hit birds. Hitting the birds will really help your aiming So I get done with that and drive my jeep down the other side of the mountain, towards the water. Unfortunately, I misread the cliff and it ended up being too sharp for me to navigate. So I go careening into the water. I look around and I'm surrounded by nothing but wilderness. No cars, people, or anything. I felt stranded. So I start swimming around, and GTAV's map is big enough to where if you get stuck int he middle of nowhere, it'll take awhile before you reach civilization again, if you have no wheels.

Luckily, there was a guy fishing off his yacht, not very far from where I was stranded. So I kicked his ass off the boat and go sailing, and the sailing mechanics and physics are fucking awesome. You have to catch the wind just right if you want to actually go anywhere, and I ended up losing 20-30 minutes just sailing around Los Santos.

So that was a good hour of my time, doing nothing more than getting lost in the wilderness and jacking a yacht and sailing it around. Had a blast.

Now if only TAZER would get off his high PC horse and get it for the 360, we could do this shit together.

Last edited by JohnnyV; 09-20-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #14
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

And the A.I. is great too. Lamar almost got hit by a car, so he walked to the other side to get in, but then the car moved from in front of his door and he walked back over to the passenger side. Its just god stuff. You can see they spent all that budget money wisely.

I just started playing with my 3rd character but aside from his first scene I'm not really enjoying his missions.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #15
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

Something else they added that I really like is Franklin's driving ability and how they integrated that concept when you're changing radio stations. Slowing time down so you don't go out of control at important times.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #16
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Yeah, in between missions, I went to the strip club and was shocked when there was REAL boobage! The funny thing about the strip joint is when you're getting a lap dance, you can choose to flirt and touch the girl, but only when the bouncer isn't looking.

I haven't engaged in too many missions, but I did one with Franklin, Lamar and his idiot friend that got them hemmed up in a building with the guy they kidnapped and they had to shoot their way out of it. Lamar blasted a dude point blank in the face which made me literally say, "Oh, shit!" LOL!

Oh, the music is FUCKING AWESOME!! West Coast Classics ALL DAY LONG!! They even have a cool modern rock stataion and a pop station that plays Rihanna. Loving this game so far!
Old 09-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #17
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Im just enjoying the air up here.....

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #18
Booster Beetle
Will break before he bends

Will a person whos never played a Grand Theft Auto game like this?

Booster Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #19
W.West

I imagine you will. As long as you get the concept of doing essentially anything you want. You don't have to do the missions at all.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #20
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

^^^ = TRUTH.

Ive started IV up just to go driving around the city; not doing anything special, just driving.

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #21
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Yeah, you don't even have to do any missions to have fun in the game. On GTA IV, when I would fail tough missions, I would run people over out of frustration just to see how many warrants for my arrest I could pile up. Got to 5 stars a few times just by staying in the Hospital and blasting cops as they come in. When my health meter would be in dire straights, I would drink a soda from the nearby vending machine and replenish my health.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:06 PM   #22
Booster Beetle
Will break before he bends

I might pick it up this weekend then

Booster Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:12 PM   #23
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Yeah, you don't even have to do any missions to have fun in the game. On GTA IV, when I would fail tough missions, I would run people over out of frustration just to see how many warrants for my arrest I could pile up. Got to 5 stars a few times just by staying in the Hospital and blasting cops as they come in. When my health meter would be in dire straights, I would drink a soda from the nearby vending machine and replenish my health.
What the heck do they even need a Hospital for if soda replenishes health, that's what I want to know? The Hospital should just be a big bank of vending machines...
Old 09-20-2013, 11:27 PM   #24
Scarecrow
Senior Corps Member

So I believe I can safely say that is the first time I have seen a video game character hang dong in front of other video game characters. If you have gotten that far you know what I'm talking about, if not just wait for it. It's coming.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #25
W.West

I have gotten that far. A entire scene about dick sizes. haha