Green Lantern: New Guardians #40 *spoilers*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
    Nah. The Durlans killed a lot of them, but some survived and Sodam Yat stayed with them.
    So we have another Daxamite with a power ring. A White Lantern, at that.

This could have been so much better if the "Brightest Day" White Lanterns (Hawkman, Hawkwoman, Dove, Jade, Max, Captain Boomerang, etc) had become White Lanterns again, instead of all-new people. But Jade doesn't exist in the New 52, that's right...

Lame ending. Series should have ended with GL #20.

Comment

i give it 5*, it ended on a good note (to me anyway) and it's nice to know that now we have a White Lantern "Corps" (how long til they get an ongoing title?)

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

Originally posted by IonFan View Post
        i give it 5*, it ended on a good note (to me anyway) and it's nice to know that now we have a White Lantern "Corps" (how long til they get an ongoing title?)
        5 stars huh?

Comment

yes, and?

IonFan says

Comment

Normally when one says something is 5 stars they are saying the thing is perfect.

No one is a big enough Kyle fan to call this issue perfect.

Comment

Yep. In the pantheon of the best comics ever, you have Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns, Sandman, All-Star Superman, Kingdom Come...and New Guardians #40.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Davos View Post
                Yep. In the pantheon of the best comics ever, you have Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns, Sandman, All-Star Superman, Kingdom Come...and New Guardians #40.
                out of your list the only one i liked was KC, the others sucked balls (too me anyway) also i don't get why it's a big deal that i give it 5* (wasn't the only one to do so yet it seems i'm being called out on it?)

IonFan says

Comment

I think single issue comics--especially of an episodic nature--need to be judged on their own. Putting them up against entire runs or graphic novels is like apples and oranges.

That said, I think I'd give this issue about one and a half stars.

-Bad artwork
                  -Uninteresting finish
                  -Characters who are supposed to be important are introduced out of nowhere and then hastily rushed off panel
                  -A White Lantern Corps is a bad idea
                  -The lame conclusion of this run greatly harms the entire run, which in my opinion wasn't interesting overall

Yeah, I didn't care for New Guardians. It was always a pretty bad comic series. I didn't like the original premise at all, and Justin Jordan's run, while better, started somewhat intriguingly, but it got boring pretty quickly, and the series was greatly damaged by losing Brad Walker and replacing him with Neves.

That said, I have no problem with the Kyle Rayner and Carol Ferris relationship. And I like how Jordan gave some of the Guardians distinct personalities. I also like that he left Kyle the White Lantern. It seems like the integrity of the idea would be damaged to change him back to Green, and I don't see the point of that, anyway. I don't think putting him in the GLC is a good idea. The character always worked best when he wasn't part of an organization like that and was doing his own thing. I think his problem is that he's too powerful. His extreme power level takes him further from Earth, which is where he worked best, because it would be kind of weird to have a character like that having adventures on Earth.
                  Star-Lantern
                  Weaponer of Qward
                  Last edited by Star-Lantern; 03-25-2015, 07:48 AM.
                  ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
                    I think single issue comics--especially of an episodic nature--need to be judged on their own. Putting them up against entire runs or graphic novels is like apples and oranges...
                    It's not a matter of comparing it per se, but that 5 stars implies perfection, that it is as good as a comic could possibly get, which naturally leads you to the category of other perfect comics. It's like five-star restaurants; it's the gold standard.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                      It's not a matter of comparing it per se, but that 5 stars implies perfection, that it is as good as a comic could possibly get, which naturally leads you to the category of other perfect comics. It's like five-star restaurants; it's the gold standard.
                      Then one would have to pull out a specific five star (to them) issue of Sandman or whatever to make a fair comparison to New Guardians #40. Or compare the New Guardians series to the Sandman series.

I think single issues need to be judged on some different merits than entire runs. While they are singular products, they often work more intrinsically as parts of a whole these days.

It's like judging novel chapters or television episodes. If you leave an issue feeling really good and without finding any fault with any of it, and without imagining how things could have been better (and usually highly anticipating more), I don't see a problem with giving an issue five stars. Will a single issue, even a five star one (to someone), rock the foundation of comicdom? Usually probably not. It's usually entire stories that do that, and I see issues usually as parts of stories.

Then you have to factor in people's personal interests. If an issue appeals to a person's specific interests, they will likely get more out of it than some others. Like, I don't really have any interest in Sandman. It might be legendary, but it's just nothing I'm particularly interested in. Just because I'm not. While I do believe there is such a thing as objective good storytelling, it's also quite possible that I could get more out of a (good) Mega Man comic that's attuned to me. This is why I think it's a good idea to find reviewers who have similar tastes to you if you're really looking for opinions on things you may or may not like.
                      ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Really liked this issue and was pleasantly surprised by it. The Tallahe white lantern is awesome and harkens back to Vol2 days.

Let's hope they explore these odd new characters more!

Comment

I enjoyed the ending, especially the design of Tallahe and I love the idea of a White Lantern Corps, but I think it was very rushed and the criteria for selection seems very generic. There has only been one white lantern so far and he went through hell to earn his ring, why should these six who have never been chosen to wield any light get this incredible power?

Fair enough two of the six have had character development in previous issues, but three of the others are just plucked from nowhere and the last one we don't even see, what makes them White Lanterns? Why did the rings choose them out of every being in the entire universe? I hope we get to see them in later GL related comics and they get some background and character development, especially Tallahe, as soon as I saw it I wanted to know more about it

Originally posted by Plastroncafe
                          Freedom of Speech does not mean Freedom From Being Called Out For Spouting Bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                          X