Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nerdist examines some recent rumors about DW's return:

+ YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Comment

• Capaldi needs to stay for at least 2 more years so we can see what he can do without Clara and Moffat. And what does she mean "most of us" want a female Doctor. I don't
      Time,Space and Will Power

Comment

• Yeah, I don't think they should have done that with the Master just because it complicates Gallifreyan mating unnecessarily.

And I agree about Capaldi. I haven't liked many of these stories he's been in, but I've really felt that was due more to Moffet than Capaldi.

Really, I just want Doctor Who to be more episodic. Drop these season-long arcs and stupid prophecies.
        Space Cop
        The Dandy
        Last edited by Space Cop; 11-19-2016, 01:22 AM.

Comment

• I hope that the BBC realizes that it's not Capaldi that has caused the ratings to drop. It's the stories

Comment

• ^That's probably more common sense than we should expect from studio execs, but one can hope.

Comment

• The Christmas teaser is out:

+ YouTube Video
              ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Comment

• So, the Christmas special was definitely Moffet's ode to comics. I caught a few specific homages to Donner's Superman.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                  So, the Christmas special was definitely Moffet's ode to comics. I caught a few specific homages to Donner's Superman.
                  Yeah, it was practically based on Superman.

For something I thought was going to be a shitfest, I didn't actually mind it, took me a little while to quite get into it but eventually it rather grew on me. Plus it pleased both my parents, and my mother's hard to please in terms of Doctor Who.
                  Originally posted by IonFan
                  (even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
                  Originally posted by Big Daddy Caesar
                  If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
                  Originally posted by Quaker
                  I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.

Comment

• I agree, I quite liked the superhero show with the Doctor guess staring in it.

Jokes aside it was quite good. My favorite part was "I thought it was medicine" And I like that we got some explanation about the people that open their heads from last Christmas.

I can't say that I like Moffat doing Doctor Who but I'm all for him doing a Superman movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lantern of Gallifrey View Post
                      . . . My favorite part was "I thought it was medicine" . . .
                      His reasoning was quite solid: cough, doctor, glass or water, and pill.

Comment

• So as everyone's likely heard by now, Capaldi's leaving, which is a shame, I was fond of his Doctor, in particular his earlier episodes. Of course with Capaldi leaving, we're found to start speculation on the next Doctor. My preference would be for someone around Eccleston's age, someone more serious again; this was partially achieved in Capaldi's earlier episodes but I feel he's gone too silly. In fact I'm hoping for the whole show to be more serious once Chibnall gets in, been far too comedic under Moffat.

Same as last time, I really, really hope we don't get a female Doctor, at least not for the sheer sake of it. I can't think of any suggestions I'd be at all favourable of; options such as Miranda Hart or Olivia Coleman in my opinion wouldn't fit the show at all (Hart especially, she'd just make the entire show a bloody comedy), and others such as Hayley Atwell I'd sooner see as a companion (Atwell would be a fantastic companion mind you). I reckon a non-white Doctor would be good though; especially in time travel episodes where the issue of race could be addressed, it'd add a new layer to the show whilst not changing the dynamic. An Asian Doctor would be appropriate given the prominence of Trump and so forth, but again don't cast a non-white Doctor for the sheer sake of it, only if the right person is found, although there are plenty of suggestions I could get behind. Here are some of my suggestions for the next Doctor:

David Harewood
                        After seeing him on Supergirl as Martian Manhunter/Hank Henshaw I could easily see him as being a great Doctor, he fits the bill of what I'm looking for in a Doctor; serious and would bring a better atmosphere to the show. It'd be really interesting to see how he'd pull off the role, I could see him being most reminiscent of Christopher Eccleston, which is the direction I want the show to take. The main problem is the busy schedule of Supergirl, so that might make this choice unlikely.

Daniel Gillies
                        If anyone has seen the Vampire Diaries and/or The Originals, then you'll probably be able to understand why I've chosen Gillies. He is very "typical" of the Doctor in my mind, he's posh as hell, which I think would be a great fit the show (we need a handsome and posh Doctor one day, right?). He'd probably be most reminiscent of Paul McGann, maybe a tiny bit of David Tennant in terms of getting fangirls to love him, I think he'd be a fantastic fit for the show.

Damien Molony
                        I think I have a penchant for casting vampires in everything...If you've seen the last few seasons of the British Being Human, again you'll likely understand why I've chosen Molony, for pretty similar reasons as to why I've cast Gillies. Molony was one of my first choices to be the next Doctor after Matt Smith left the show, but this time my preference would be towards Gillies out of the vampires I've cast...but I'd still be extremely happy if Molony got cast. Again like Gillies I think he'd be most reminiscent of Paul McGann, but I could easily see some Peter Davison and Christopher Eccleston mixed in there too.

Ben Daniels
                        One of the most rumoured choices for the Doctor last time around, after seeing him in the Exorcist (albeit for only one episode; I gave up after that), I thought he'd be an ideal choice for the Doctor. He has the right presence for it, I could easily see him portraying a dark, stern Doctor, which again is basically what I'm looking for. He'd likely be reminiscent of Christopher Eccleston (you can probably see a theme in my choices by now) and would bring a great gravitas to the show.

Tom Felton
                        When I saw him in The Flash, I instantly thought he was just right for the Doctor. He's also my mum's top choice. He has the quirkiness and eccentricity to pull of a great Doctor, he'd fit the role like a glove. He has the ideal combination of seriousness and charm to pull it off well, I could see him being quite sarcastic at times like Colin Baker or early Peter Capaidli. On top of this he's also posh, which as I've said earlier is something I'd love to see in a Doctor.

Danny Dyer
                        Just imagine it, Danny Dyer shouting "fuck off you tin cunts" at a bunch of Daleks. Wouldn't that be glorious? Ok in all seriousness though, if Danny Dyer can avoid swearing constantly in Eastenders, it's not impossible for him to do the same in Doctor Who. I think he'd be a breath of fresh air; I'd love a cockney Doctor, he could be quintessentially British in a whole new way for the show. It'd take the show in an entirely new direction, and I could see Dyer being a truly unique Doctor, he'd perhaps have the urbanness of Eccleston, whilst his lighter moments would be reminiscent of both Bakers and Tennant. Unlikely to be chosen, but I think it's be brilliant if he was...there'd be no objections from me, and you just know the ratings would go straight up, at least for his premiere, plus I could imagine he'd keep ratings high. Maybe it isn't out of the question after all...

So these are some of my top picks. As you can gather from this, my main preference would be a return to a more serious tone to the show, and with either a posh or an urban Doctor. Some honourable mentions include Nigel Havers (which I touted last time) but I don't think he'd be able to keep the show going, plus I think after Capaldi it'd be refreshing to have a slightly younger Doctor again, and Jason Flemyng which I also touted last time, but I think he'd be more of a comedic Doctor, being similar to Tom Baker or Patrick Troughton, but that's not really the direction I want the show to take at the moment, although I'd still be perfectly happy if either of these options were cast.
                        If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.

Comment

• ^I heard this but haven't been keeping up on DW news like I used to. Did Capaldi film another season (series) or is he gone before that?

EDIT: a quick google search reveals he does have a regular series starting in April and would regenerate next Christmas.

I saw that some betting group is laying odds on Ben Whishaw (Q in the last two Bond movies).
                          Space Cop
                          The Dandy
                          Last edited by Space Cop; 02-02-2017, 02:07 PM.

Comment

^I heard this but haven't been keeping up on DW news like I used to. Did Capaldi film another season (series) or is he gone before that?

EDIT: a quick google search reveals he does have a regular series starting in April and would regenerate next Christmas.

I saw that some betting group is laying odds on Ben Whishaw (Q in the last two Bond movies).
                            Yeah, the most common choices seem to be Ben Whishaw, Olivia Colman and Richard Ayoade. Out of these I definitely hope Colman doesn't get it; I'm against a female doctor but even by female doctor standards I'd be opposed to Colman, I don't think she'd fit the role at all.

Comment

• Yeah, changing the Doctor to female would probably cause me to take a break from watching the show. I didn't like when they showed Time Lords could do that. It didn't fit with previous understanding of Gallifrey (IMHO) and it needlessly complicated the family dynamics of Time Lords (the Doctor in particular who is a father and grandfather).

Comment

Yeah, changing the Doctor to female would probably cause me to take a break from watching the show. I didn't like when they showed Time Lords could do that. It didn't fit with previous understanding of Gallifrey (IMHO) and it needlessly complicated the family dynamics of Time Lords (the Doctor in particular who is a father and grandfather).
                                Agreed, it was done for the sake of political correctness, there was no need to do it. Doing it to the Doctor though would sabotage the format and dynamic of the show, I can't see it working at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X