The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 1/Alan Scott/JSA
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 1

Old 06-26-2017, 05:24 PM   #26
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Alan in any new stories is pretty much going to have to continue siphoning from the JSA villain well. The Icicle, Gambler, Vandal Savage, Sportsmaster, etc. The problem is, they made Alan SO powerful, most of the old golden age villains don't stand a chance against him. He was almost better before he got ridiculously powered up, as is the case with most superheroes. It sounds great to make your hero uber powerful, until you have to find a way to write stories for them (coughIoncough)
Old 06-26-2017, 06:36 PM   #27
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
Alan in any new stories is pretty much going to have to continue siphoning from the JSA villain well. The Icicle, Gambler, Vandal Savage, Sportsmaster, etc. The problem is, they made Alan SO powerful, most of the old golden age villains don't stand a chance against him. He was almost better before he got ridiculously powered up, as is the case with most superheroes. It sounds great to make your hero uber powerful, until you have to find a way to write stories for them (coughIoncough)
That's EXACTLY what i used to say on CBR. A few people agreed, but most didn't. They'd say, "Well, just make the villains more powerful too!" Or, "But what about Superman?" Or, "What about Sandman?"

To answer the first question, the more powerful that heroes and villains grow, the more abstract their battles become, and the further removed from anything that people actually care about. Unless you put the whole damned universe at risk in every story, which will get old fast.

To address the Superman question, that's where Kryptonite comes in. Get rid of that, and then let's see anyone write stories about Superman!

Re Sandman: His power level makes him unsuited for an ongoing. It's the same reason that Dr. Fate, Dr. Strange and the Silver Surfer can't carry one. You just can't write a lot of stories about such powerful characters.

If DC would power the Spectre down to a reasonable level, and write him a a human being with a job and a life, then he might be able to sell an ongoing.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:35 PM   #28
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
To address the Superman question, that's where Kryptonite comes in. Get rid of that, and then let's see anyone write stories about Superman!

Re Sandman: His power level makes him unsuited for an ongoing. It's the same reason that Dr. Fate, Dr. Strange and the Silver Surfer can't carry one. You just can't write a lot of stories about such powerful characters.

If DC would power the Spectre down to a reasonable level, and write him a a human being with a job and a life, then he might be able to sell an ongoing.
Silver Surfer had an ongoing [that for a time was even written by Ron Marz] that lasted over ten years that began in 1987 and ran for 148 issues. Doc Strange has had two ongoings last 88 and 81 issues in the past. Fate has had a series get as high as the 40's at least once I can remember. It's not impossible. Spectre could sell if they could balance the POV between Corrigan and the spirit.

With a simplified franchise, since Alan's power is more magic and supernatural... maybe a new weakness could be a problem using his power against newer technology. He could be good with tech as far as working in a subway and then as a radio engineer, his power just wouldn't be as effective against it and he'd have to think around situations. I mean... it's better than a weakness to wood LOL

~//V\\~

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world." - Albert Einstein
-//V\\- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:58 PM   #29
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
Lol, no. I was just thinking about him. He was Alan's buddy, his Jimmy Olsen, who provided comedic support.
I wasn't trying to be snarky or anything. I thought I might have missed some later turn in the stories.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:08 AM   #30
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Nah, I didn't take you as snarky. I was more amused at the stupid way I wrote that paragraph.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:13 AM   #31
Space Cop
The Dandy

Unless my timeline is off, Dickles must have been a ripoff of the Shadow's side kick (Moses), who also was an ethnic cab driver that aided the hero (with a bit of comedy thrown in).

Trey could probably speak to this more. Seems the kind of thing he'd know.

Last edited by Space Cop; 06-27-2017 at 03:16 AM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:41 AM   #32
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post

Trey could probably speak to this more. Seems the kind of thing he'd know.
I've never read The Shadow. But the Green Hornet also had an ethnic driver who predated Derby.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 06-27-2017 at 04:45 AM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote