The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 08-23-2017, 04:26 PM   #1426
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Well, it's seemingly setup to have Sansa plotting against Ayra. I mean, she sent Brienne to King's Landing, removing her as a potential protector of Ayra or perhaps it is because Littlefinger suggested Brienne to Sansa. At any rate, Sansa is worried about losing the Lords that pledged themselves to Jon and cares what others think of her. And I'm sure she was freaked out by the bag of faces that Ayra has in her room.

I'd hate to think that Sansa and Ayra would die at this point because I don't feel they finished their personal story arcs. Sansa is just coming into her own after being passed around like a bargaining chip and Ayra still has Cersei on her "Kill Bill" list.

Darth_Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:52 AM   #1427
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

The only thing I keep thinking about is The Prince that was Promised and other theories (THANKS DAVE)...

So, here's the PRINCE THAT WAS PROMISED prophecy broken down...

After a long summer, when the stars bleed and the cold breath of darkness falls heavy on the world - aka - When we saw the comet in the sky...and Winter coming.

He shall be born again amidst smoke and salt - aka - THE HOUND's BROTHER SMASHED HIS FACE INTO FIRE (and assuming there was the wood in the fireplace) AS A CHILD!

He shall wake dragons out of stone - aka - I'm going out on a limb here and say that The Hound is the one to kill the now undead Dragon. Or, and this is a super stretch and probably won't happen given that the show doesn't have enough time to justify this ridiculous theory, but The Hound could awake the dragon that's theorized to be underneath Winterfell...But I'll stick with him just re-killing the undead dragon.

He shall draw from the fire a burning sword, Lightbringer - aka - This is easier to see given The Hound's history with Beric and with him being in a super state of fear with fire all the time, it's just destiny not to have that pay off with a flaming sword.

Not to mention, he was able to see something in the flames. The Lord of Light must have a plan for him. Surely it isn't just to be there. He has to do something spectacular. You don't escape death unless you have a higher purpose. Beric's was to help people until he could help The Hound. The Hound is The Prince That was Promised.

And here is my thoughts on Cersei before the season finale and final season...

Cersei is definitely pregnant, because it'll be that much worse when her prophecies start coming true.

Maggie (the fortune teller) tells her that a younger, more beautiful queen will cast her down and take all that she holds dear. We thought that was Margery, but she only really took Tomen.

valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you

That's the prophecy that foresees her death...Everyone thinks its Jaime. I think that's fair. Valonqar means "LITTLE BROTHER" Technically, Jaime is the younger sibling. Still, I'm holding out hope that it's Tyrion. I don't anything to go on here, I'm just guessing like the rest of the world.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:17 PM   #1428
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

I doubt the Hound will end up being "The Prince that was Promised."

That was a crazy season finale. I think most fans got what they wanted.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:07 PM   #1429
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Old 08-29-2017, 10:46 PM   #1430
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

CRAZY Finale. We got the long rumored confirmation of Jon's heritage...Unfortunately, his true name is shared with his half brother who was killed...That's weird. Other than that, I loved it. Oh and why was Tyrion in the hallway of the boat staring at their door? That was weird.

Still, great finale. The Wall is crumbled. That's amazing. Cersei lying to Jon and company was sooo good. It just shows that she's still playing the wrong game.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:46 PM   #1431
W.West

Screenwriter Talks Game of Thrones Successor
Old 08-29-2017, 11:06 PM   #1432
W.West

This is more of a book thing, but its something I was discussing elsewhere...

If Jon is not bastard and is the true heir to the throne, then Robert's Rebellion was fought on a lie that Lyanna Stark was kidnapped by Rhaegar Targaryen. The show covers this in the finale, but WHO THE FUCK STARTED THE LIE?! Why would Rhaegar hide his marriage if it were true love (which we see in the show it clearly is)?

Ned's brother (Brandon) was supposed to marry Catelyn (who became Ned's wife much later) but instead was told this fucking lie of a kidnapping and rode off to kill Rhaeghar.

That's fucking crazy. I still can't believe that Rhaeghar was able to hide his WIFE for an entire year of war without anyone finding her or even hearing from her! This was a happy couple.

Sure, Littlefinger is a huge conspirator and the main reason things are so bad now, but he didn't send word to Brandon Stark. That would be a helluva reach even for a master manipulator like Baelish (especially because he was a kid and still suffering from Brandon's attack). I know none of you care, but its really the only thing on my mind right now because we have such a long wait before next season and we already know that will be 90% sword swinging and death bringing. Now is the time to stress about the politricks.

Last edited by W.West; 08-29-2017 at 11:09 PM.
W.West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:44 PM   #1433
W.West

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
This is more of a book thing, but its something I was discussing elsewhere...

If Jon is not bastard and is the true heir to the throne, then Robert's Rebellion was fought on a lie that Lyanna Stark was kidnapped by Rhaegar Targaryen. The show covers this in the finale, but WHO THE FUCK STARTED THE LIE?! Why would Rhaegar hide his marriage if it were true love (which we see in the show it clearly is)?

Ned's brother (Brandon) was supposed to marry Catelyn (who became Ned's wife much later) but instead was told this fucking lie of a kidnapping and rode off to kill Rhaeghar.

That's fucking crazy. I still can't believe that Rhaeghar was able to hide his WIFE for an entire year of war without anyone finding her or even hearing from her! This was a happy couple.

Sure, Littlefinger is a huge conspirator and the main reason things are so bad now, but he didn't send word to Brandon Stark. That would be a helluva reach even for a master manipulator like Baelish (especially because he was a kid and still suffering from Brandon's attack). I know none of you care, but its really the only thing on my mind right now because we have such a long wait before next season and we already know that will be 90% sword swinging and death bringing. Now is the time to stress about the politricks.

WAIT. FUCK.

What if Rhae married Lyanna with intent to establish a new succession and primary alliance with the North? That would put him in the same "ambitious" mode that Rickard Stark, Steffon Baratheon, Jon Arryn, and Hoster Tully were in. They were planning to mix up their houses via marriage/squireship. Why do that in peace time? Why do that unless they were planning for change? I fully think Robert's Rebellion was made because Rhae didn't think his plot through and Brandon Stark's anger was matched and doubled by the King. If Rhae had plotted with Rickard before marrying Lyanna, we may have gotten something else entirely. Instead, neither Rickard's plans for Westeros or Rhae's love for Lyanna (and/or plan for Westeros) came to fruition.

SIGH.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:34 AM   #1434
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

The Targaryens married outside of their family often for political alliances. and usually in peace time. I don't think Rhaegar married Lyanna to make an alliance in the north, though he DID plan on moving his father out from the throne after the battle of the Trident. His primary reason for marrying her was his obsession with prophecy. He was raised to believe his line would produce TPTWP. Rhaegar's grandfather (Jaehaerys II) was initially convinced of the prophecy, so much so that he married his son and daughter (Mad King Aerys II and Rhaella) to fulfill the terms of this prophecy. So Rhaegar grew up with this being fed to him by his grandfather, and he was VERY much on board. For years, Rhaegar thought he was TPTWP, and came to believe it was his children that would see this through.

How Rhaegar fell in love with Lyanna still has yet to be told in the books and remains a mystery, but it seems certain that he fell for her at the Tourney at Harrenhall, and may involve Lyanna impressing him in a situation involving the mystery knight of the Laughing Tree. I don't think we'll see that on the show, but the book implies there was a lot going on with the two behind the scenes. My own personal opinion is that Lyanna fell into Rhaegar's life and he felt like she was his destiny and was in love with her.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:10 AM   #1435
W.West

I'm with you in all of that because it makes for beauty and not horrible rape and a year long abduction. Still, I'm so intrigued by the notion of Rhaegar overthrowing his father (even if he decided late as fuck) being the same idea Rickard Stark probably had when he chose to connect his house with damn every other house not named Lannister or Tyrell.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:11 PM   #1436
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Yeah, from what I understand Rhaegar was obsessed with the prophecy of "The Prince That Was Promised." Some feel it's because of the prophecy and Elia Martell inability to have a third child to fulfill that prophecy was the grounds on which Rhaegar was able to annul his marriage with Elia and then secretly marry Lyanna. And with this new line of children with Lyanna, Rhaegar names his new child Aegon aka Jon Snow.

As for who started the lie of Rhaegar kidnapping Lyanna?... well, it was known that Rhaegar had a thing for Lyanna and so when they both went missing, Ned's older brother went before the Mad King and demanded Lyanna be returned and therefore the assumption of the lie that Lyanna was kidnapped. We can safely assume that Lyanna never told anyone in her family that she was in love with a married man, especially when she was betrothed to be married to Robert Barathean.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:50 AM   #1437
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Yeah, I just assumed Brandon went on a rampage when his sister and Rhaegar both disappeared and the Starks thought it was against her will. Sure, he could have had a little birdie put that in his ear, but I think the point was Brandon's reaction continued the sequence of disasterous events more than any issue of him being tricked into it (by a young Petyr or anyone else). Martin has never laid any foreshadowing on Brandon Stark's involvement at all, so I doubt it will ever be made a plot point.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:06 AM   #1438
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
I'm with you in all of that because it makes for beauty and not horrible rape and a year long abduction. Still, I'm so intrigued by the notion of Rhaegar overthrowing his father (even if he decided late as fuck) being the same idea Rickard Stark probably had when he chose to connect his house with damn every other house not named Lannister or Tyrell.

It makes sense that Rickard would marry his children off to powerful houses if he could. A Stark/Tully match was a good move for both houses at the time. Ned wasn't betrothed yet, and neither was Benjen. Lyanna betrothed to the future lord of the Stormlands? That was a big deal, setting two of Rickon's four kids to give him grandchildren that would be lords of two of the nine great houses of Westeros.

I've always been curious as to why Benjen signed up for the Night's Watch. Was it out of duty, knowing he was third in line and unlikely to inherrit Winterfell? Or did something prompt him to do it like guilt or some kind of burden? A lot of fans theorize Benjen knew a lot more about what happened to Lyanna. He was present at the tourney at Harrenhall with his brothers, and was involved or somehow had knowledge of some of the events regarding Howland Reed, the Knight of the Laughing Tree. Did he know details of it we have yet to see, possibly involving Lyanna and Rhaegar? There's a lot going on there we have only been teased with.

I think the Jon reveal will have the same results in the books as the show, but it will be handled differently in the process of getting there. We're likely to see things the show simply has no time to get into as well.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:38 AM   #1439
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Jon being named Aegon in the show likely won't happen in the books. I think the used Aegon in the show to dumb it down for the audience, ignoring that Jon's half brother Aegon was still alive with his sister when Jon was conceived, and also when Rhaegar left Lyanna at the Tower of Joy to meet what became his fate at the Battle Of the Trident with Robert. It just seems goofy. Rhaegar probably really needed an Aegon for his prophecy, but he already had one. He actually needed Jon to be a girl to recreate the dragon having three heads and mimicking Aegon I and his two sister wives.

In the end it will likely be that Rhaegar was right about the prophecy and had the right generation, just the details were wrong. And in the books I imagine Jon's name will be Jaehaerys or Aemon. If Jon takes the Iron Throne, it will be as Aegon VI. If it's Jaehaerys, it would be Jaehaerys III. Or Aemon I.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:47 AM   #1440
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Anyone else get the 'star crossed lovers' vibe during the montage of Jon and Dany getting it on? Tyrion was like "oh fuck". And the foreboding music interlaced with Rhaegar and Lyanna's star crossed romance?

I think the show is implying these are ill fated lovers like Rhaegar and Lyanna. Jon, Tyrion, and Dany's moms all died in childbirth. It's like they are setting up the same for Dany. Could it all end with Dany dead, Jon dying in battle, and Tyrion on the throne as regent for a Targaryen child or twins? Or a grief stricken Jon on the throne raising a child or twins after Dany dies? No way is she sitting on that throne. She has had it too easy in the books and show compared to the other characters.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:55 AM   #1441
W.West

There's NO chance they gave that name to Jon without GRRM saying that's it. No way.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:56 AM   #1442
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I don't know. They are WAY off the reservation on the show now. The books set up the name Aemon by stating a few times that Aemon the Dragonknight was Jon's childhood hero and he used to play as him as a kid, the way kids pretend to be superheroes now. He even muses to himself at one point, "I'm no Aemon Targaryen". Nothing that says it has to be that, but it just felt like a setup.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:38 AM   #1443
W.West

Fifth ‘Game of Thrones’ Prequel Show Being Developed By Writer Bryan Cogman

Quote:
George R.R. Martin has provided a few more updates about this series on his blog, and you can read the relevant portions at the bottom of this article.

Current Game of Thrones writer and producer Bryan Cogman has a live-action movie adaptation of The Sword in the Stone in the works and a film based on Magic: The Gathering on his plate, but it looks like he’s not finished with the world of ice and fire quite yet. Word has surfaced that Cogman is officially developing a fifth Game of Thrones prequel series for HBO.

Back in May, the network officially announced that they were developing four Game of Thrones spin-off shows so they can continue telling stories in that world once David Benioff and D.B. Weiss‘s flagship show comes to a close. (They will not be a part of these spin-offs.) Not long after, A Song of Ice and Fire author George R.R. Martin took to his Live Journal to explain that every one of the shows in development is actually a prequel and none of them will include any of the main characters we know from the current series (so no Robert’s Rebellion, and no Dunk & Egg). Martin also revealed that there was a fifth prequel in the works, and hinted at Cogman’s involvement without outright saying his name since Cogman’s development deal wasn’t finalized at that point:

And there’s more. We had four scripts in development when I arrived in LA last week, but by the time I left we had five. We have added a fifth writer to the original four. No, I will not reveal the name here. HBO announced the names of the first four, and will no doubt announce the fifth as well, once his deal has closed. He’s a really terrific addition, however, a great guy and a fine writer, and aside from me and maybe Elio and Linda, I don’t know anyone who knows and loves Westeros as well as he does.

Cogman has a fascinating history with this series. He started out working as an assistant to Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, but because he knew so much about Martin’s world, he was tasked with writing the show bible. He quickly became a writer on the show (he’s written ten episodes so far), and moved his way up through the ranks from writer to story editor to co-producer and eventually to a full producer. He’s the embodiment of the geek dream: the knowledgable nerd made good working on a mega-popular fantasy series. In addition, he wrote a book called Inside HBO’s Game of Thrones that serves as a companion piece to the current show.

It’s also important to note that while Martin was listed as being involved with two of the first four Game of Thrones spin-offs, the author has said he’s actually involved with all of them, meeting with the writers of each at his New Mexico home and being in contact with them to answer questions or bounce ideas around as needed. Entertainment Weekly, who broke the news about Cogman’s involvement with this fifth prequel, says he “developed the project by working closely” with Martin, and it remains unclear if Martin himself will actually be receiving co-writing credit on any of these projects that get the greenlight or if he’ll be involved in a less demanding capacity. (Fans eagerly awaiting the final two books in his series are likely hoping for the latter.)

Since the initial announcement about the Game of Thrones spin-offs, HBO programming chief Casey Bloys has clarified that they’re developing that many series in the hopes that one of them is actually good enough to come to fruition, not necessarily because they want that many Thrones spin-offs on the air at the same time. Bloys also said that “if any of these scripts come to pass, you’re not going to see anything air anytime close to the season 8 finale.” Considering rumors that we won’t even see Game of Thrones season 8 until sometime in 2019, these prequels are still a long way off.

You can listen to Cogman’s interview with A Cast of Kings hosts David Chen and Joanna Robinson right here.

Update: Martin has taken to his Live Journal to offer a few comments, praising the decision to hire Cogman to develop one of these prequels. “If [Benioff and Weiss] have been the kings of Westeros for these past seven seasons,” he wrote, “Bryan Cogman has surely been the Prince of Dragonstone.”
Old 09-21-2017, 03:32 PM   #1444
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I hope whatever the winner is, it ends up being something to do with Targaryen history. Best family ever. I'd love Aegon's conquering of Westeros, or the Dance of the Dragons. There are 300 interesting years of material to mine there.