No announcement yet.

Final Fantasy Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I'm playing the HD version of FF X...and I honestly can't see where all the hate comes from. Grant it I haven't beaten the game but I am having a good time with this one.

Comment

I'm with you on that. Not everyone liked Tidus, which I can see, though I didn't have the problems other people did. It had an interesting world that was centered around the villain. It was so unconventional which was what I liked most.
      MEH

Comment

Originally posted by Iggy View Post
        So I'm playing the HD version of FF X...and I honestly can't see where all the hate comes from. Grant it I haven't beaten the game but I am having a good time with this one.
        I've always liked the game, I clocked about 120 hours+ on my ps2 back in the days.
        I cannot understand the argument, that this game has no towns because it's a post-apocalyptic world, Yuna is on a pilgrimage and there are a few towns so it all makes sense.

With the Al-Bhed language you even have an insentive to replay the game several times.

The only thing I somewhat grudge about is the fact, that Auron states several times that this is Tidus story when in fact it is Yuna's story. But that's just nitpicking.
        Oh and I cannot choose japanese audio. The dub is somewhat stiff. .hack/ let me choose japanese audio with subtitles, that was perfect!

Comment

My favorite Final Fantasy is a tie between VI and IX, because the games are just so addicting for me. I'm also a fan of VII, especially since I've finally played it through more (though I haven't finished it yet).

I've played all the games in the main series save for XI, XIII (which I heard is horseshit), and XIV (which I've been told is even worse). I knew that Square was going downhill, when Nomura had this obsession and belief that Lightning was going to be the next Cloud, so they made two sequels to XIII just to make that point clear. Didn't pan out as well as Toriyama and co thought it would.
          Mister.Weirdo
          Guardian of the Universe
          Last edited by Mister.Weirdo; 03-31-2014, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Akira Toriyama's the Dragon Quest guy. You mean Tetsuya Nomura.

FFXII is not horseshit at all. It's an excellent game; give it a whirl.
            The last fan of 1990s comics
            Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

Yeah, XII is better than X, X-2, XIII and its sequels.

Comment

Originally posted by SD80MAC View Post
                Akira Toriyama's the Dragon Quest guy. You mean Tetsuya Nomura.

FFXII is not horseshit at all. It's an excellent game; give it a whirl.
                Sorry, I meant XIII, not XII (not a bad game). My bad.

Thanks for other correction as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
                  Yeah, XII is better than X, X-2, XIII and its sequels.
                  I wouldn't go as far as being better than X. Vaan is a pain in the ass and I hate the gambit system.
                  But the world is great and there are plenty of huge cities which is nice.

Comment

Vaan is better than Tidus, the sphere grid is much more logical and intuitive, and the world isn't as linear as X or XIII. The gambits I could live with.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
                      Vaan is better than Tidus, the sphere grid is much more logical and intuitive, and the world isn't as linear as X or XIII. The gambits I could live with.
                      FF-XII had the better world. It also looked better than X.
                      Still it made sense that X is very linear. It's a pilgrimage.

Comment

That doesn't improve the gameplay.

Comment

I think the only thing that could have been improved gameplay wise is the fixed camera.
                          I have the same grudge towards Person 4: The Golden.

Comment

I'd also love me some FF-XII International Zodiac Job System on my PS Vita.
                            And Type-0 (I heard the fan translation will be out in August so your move Square Enix!).

Comment

My personal favorite is Final Fantasy 9, because not only did it have a great story along with great characters with their own personalities and the hardships each endures and learns from, with Zidane's longing for a true home, Garnet's pressure to be queen, to Vivi's questioning the actual meaning of life and what it means to live. But also because it's my earliest memory of me asking my brother to borrow it and asking for his help.

That said, I've completed 7, 9, 10 (completing the international version's a bitch), 10-2 (PS2, haven't yet for the PS3), and all I really have left of 12 is defeating Yiasmat (The hardest optional boss of the game).

and I've legitimately enjoyed each game time and time again. Sure each game's central tone is different (with 7's harsh tones of how to deal with death and X-2's more happy-go-lucky tone combined with its own lovestory) and gameplay for all of them is thorough and enjoyable.

Except 8. Hate 8 so damn much, I've tried to actually beat it about 6 times now, can barely continue after the first disc. Not even because it's hard or challenging in the least, but because of how idiotic its gameplay really is.
                              As the seventh seal is broken, the four shall ride once more. Bringing the wrath of War

But what starts with War, ends with Death

Comment

FF8s gameplay is fine if you simply refrain from using magic. It's weird for a JRPG to simply stock magic to raise your stats is counter-intuitive but with this in mind the level system is very cool.
                                However the story is horrible. Squall is just one facepalm after another.

9 has other problems though. The random encounter rate is just too damn high. Other other step triggers a battle. Very tireing.

Comment

Working...
                                X