The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 2
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 2

Old 04-11-2010, 08:41 AM   #1
maximara
Kilowog's Recruit

Default Before the Black Lanterns where was Driq

Driq was a dead GL whose soul was prevented from leaving his body by his ring (Vol. 2 #217 (October 1987). His power cut off when Sinstro destroyed the battery in Green Lantern Vol. 2 #223 he finally crumbled to dust.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:32 AM   #2
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

Best not to think about those things that don't make sense... they just keep piling up and before you know it Raker616 is telling you to stop complaining all the time.
Dr. Naysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

There's already a thread exactly like this.
Gauntlet101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:41 AM   #4
William Tel of SU Delta
Green Lantern Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
Best not to think about those things that don't make sense... they just keep piling up and before you know it Raker616 is telling you to stop complaining all the time.
Geoff Johns is the Chris Metzen for the DC multiverse, best not to question what they do...cause they'll come up with an answer every single frickin time.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:34 AM   #5
maximara
Kilowog's Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Scott of SU Gamma View Post
Geoff Johns is the Chris Metzen for the DC multiverse, best not to question what they do...cause they'll come up with an answer every single frickin time.
But is it a good answer or the equivalent of Star Trek technobable where if you throw enough there it covers up the fact you have no idea what you are talking about?

"Time to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow."

Old 04-14-2010, 07:39 AM   #6
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

Driq appearing in Blackest Night makes ZERO SENSE...

UNLESS there's some kind of mega-New Earth-retcon back story that we're not privy too.
Dr. Naysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:25 PM   #7
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Send a message via MSN to Darth_Andrea

Driq appearing was my fault. I requested it in the EVS thread. I liked him from GL Vol 2 and GLC Vol 1 he was a cool character.

Darth_Andrea
Old 04-15-2010, 04:32 AM   #8
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

If you guys wanna complain about something, ask yourselves this:

Why is Dirq even a zombie in the first place? Isn't that a HUGE plot hole to begin with? Shouldn't Abin Sur have become a zombie?
Old 04-15-2010, 04:48 AM   #9
Shingo Wol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauntlet101010 View Post

Why is Driq even a zombie in the first place? Isn't that a HUGE plot hole to begin with? Shouldn't Abin Sur have become a zombie?
Quote:
HISTORY

A master strategist, Driq was a valued member of the Green Lantern Corps of the Klyminade. Unfortunately, they were no match for the combined power of Sinestro and MadGod Sector 3600. The Green Lanterns were mercilessly destroyed.

The only living survivors were Flodo Span and Olapet. Strangely, Driq was killed but his ring would not allow his life force to leave his body. Driq was in some form of half life that has not been fully explained.
[Green Lantern Vol. 2 #217]

The remains of the warriors of the Klyminade joined with members of the Green Lantern Corps of Earth to battle Sinestro. Though Driq had at times been blasted apart, his power ring was capable of gathering the pieces of Driq's body, reforming him to his after death state.
[Green Lantern Vol. 2 #217-219]

With Flodo Span, Driq was used to help bind the sentient sector through the might of the power ring. Flodo Span spread his consciousness to envelope the sector. When Driq was blasted apart, his power ring pulled his body back together and contracted Flodo Span's body. The sentient sector was contained in dark sphere the size of a baseball. The Green Lanterns then easily captured Sinestro.
[Green Lantern Vol. 2 #219]

Both Corps separated, but Driq would wander the spaceways. On Orinda, he attempted to rescue Harbinger from the android Manhunters. Harbinger had gone to the Manhunters' homeworld to recover her history of the universe, which had accidentally fallen into Manhunter hands.

Members of Earth's Justice League International, including Green Lanterns Hal Jordan, Arisia, and Katma Tui Stewart, traveled to Orinda to shut down the Manhunters, who were threatening the Earth during the Millennium event.

Firestorm, a member of the Justice League's strike force, sensed Harbinger's call for help. He mistook Driq as an enemy and the two had a brief skirmish. After things had been sorted out, the Green Lantern and the Nuclear Man had an interesting conversation.
[Justice League International Vol. 1 #10]

Captain Atom, Harbinger, Driq and Firestorm managed to break free of the Manhunters as Orinda broke up into fragments beneath them. Driq's appearance was more welcome than that of G'nort of G'newt.
[Firestorm, the Nuclear Man #68]

After defeating the Manhunters, the JLI quickly took leave of Orinda, leaving G'nort in space. The spacefaring heroes attempted to follow the Highmaster, the Manhunters' leader, in his attempt on the Guardians' extra-dimensional stronghold. The spell cast by Doctor Fate was less than successful, and the heroes' survival depended on combining their life forces into that of Hal Jordan and Superman. The two heroes were able to destroy the Highmaster, which was the central power source for the rest of the Manhunters.

Back on Earth, Driq, the Floronic Man (one of the New Guardians) and Hal Jordan went to a barbecue at Hal's brothers Jim and Jack. They were sucked up by a sudden tornado which they quickly dispersed. The Green Lanterns discovered Myrwhydden was behind the tornado and a series of disasters across the globe. All these attacks were designed to funnel power to Sinestro who plotted with the mage to break each other's imprisonments. The two villains were easily defeated by the Green Lanterns.
[Green Lantern Vol. 2 #220-221]

After the final transformations of the Chosen, Driq joined the Earth based Corps in their journey to Oa. For the first time since the end of the Crisis, the Green Lantern Corps had assembled for the trial of Sinestro. Driq was reunited with Flodo Span and Olapet. The Korugarrian's guilt was not in doubt, he freely admitted his actions. For Sinestro's crimes, the Corps would seek the ultimate punishment, death.
[Green Lantern Vol. 2 #222]

Though his body was physically dead, Sinestro had managed to escape again. He had transferred his consciousness into the nearby Central Power Battery, causing it to implode. The power rings of the assembled Green Lanterns were absorbed back into the battery. Driq was one of the first Green Lanterns to lose his power ring. Without the emerald energy to sustain him, Driq collapsed, his body crumbled, finally at peace.
[Green Lantern Vol. 2 #223]

Someone make this fit with blackest night please.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:01 AM   #10
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

I know who Dirq is.

But the same people who complain about him being in Blackest Night should ask themselves how it's possible for him to be a undead at all in his Volume 2 appearances.

If you wanna be anal and completely unfun about GL, then you should ask yourself why a GL ring would glitch that way AT ALL. And why for just ONE GL in all the countless centuries of the GLC's existence? It's completely inconsistant since we've seen plenty (or at least a few) deaths in volume 2 until that point .... and none of them become "zombies". Only Dirq.

Moreover, since when does the scientifically-powered Oan rings affect Dirq's soul? Why would they? They aren't supposed to be magical. It's made very clear that Alan Scott has the "Occult powered" ring.

Since this is a Volume 2 forum, why not bitch about the inconsistancies in Volume 2? There are plenty related to Dirq in the first place.

Last edited by Gauntlet101010; 04-15-2010 at 05:10 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:32 PM   #11
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
Driq appearing in Blackest Night makes ZERO SENSE...
I dont have a prob w/Driq being a part of BN, as much as I did him appearing on Xanshi for no real reason.......

Quote:

Why is Dirq even a zombie in the first place? Isn't that a HUGE plot hole to begin with? Shouldn't Abin Sur have become a zombie?
Quote:
I know who Dirq is.

But the same people who complain about him being in Blackest Night should ask themselves how it's possible for him to be a undead at all in his Volume 2 appearances.

If you wanna be anal and completely unfun about GL, then you should ask yourself why a GL ring would glitch that way AT ALL. And why for just ONE GL in all the countless centuries of the GLC's existence? It's completely inconsistant since we've seen plenty (or at least a few) deaths in volume 2 until that point .... and none of them become "zombies". Only Dirq.

Moreover, since when does the scientifically-powered Oan rings affect Dirq's soul? Why would they? They aren't supposed to be magical. It's made very clear that Alan Scott has the "Occult powered" ring.

Since this is a Volume 2 forum, why not bitch about the inconsistancies in Volume 2? There are plenty related to Dirq in the first place.
U *could* simply attribute Driq staying alive as his will being powerful enuff to keep him around via his Ring, whereas Abin was more than happy to accept his fate & the honor of passing along the duties of protecting 2814 to another deserving resident.

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:15 AM   #12
maximara
Kilowog's Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingo Wol View Post
Someone make this fit with blackest night please.
Square peg meet round hole. Round hole meet Geoff Johns.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:07 PM   #13
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

He fits in just as well as he fit into the GLC to begin with.

We should just get Andrew to rename the board "bitch about Blackest night and GL Volume 4" because that's all anyone does in any section.

Last edited by Gauntlet101010; 05-01-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:44 AM   #14
Grundy
Green Lantern

I really don't see any inconsistency in Driq appearing in Vol. 2 or in Blackest Night. In Vol. 2, while it's true no other GL became a zombie (that we know of) I don't see any reason he couldn't be a unique case. Perhaps it's not only the ring that's kept him a zombie. The ring wasn't repairing his body, his body was definitely dead and falling apart, so in my mind the ring was receiving instructions from Driq's soul not a living brain, perhaps it was this ability to maintain a connection to the ring that made Driq unique. That said when the black ring resurrected Driq's body he took the opportunity to regain control of it, perhaps he willed a ring from a fallen lantern (there were plenty at the time) to his resurrected Black lantern body, hence green and black rings. It would not go against Sallakks moratorium against no new recruits because the ring would have recognized Driq as a lantern, just one that had been away for awhile. This is how I explain it to myself. Is this reading between the lines, most definitely. In comics you can't expect every story to follow continuity perfectly, too many different writers involved especially in a long running series such as GL sometimes you have to fill in the blanks yourself and that's OK. I thought it was a nice touch to have him appear as the first time we see Driq in Vol.2 is right after Sinestro tells the Mad god of sector 3600 about the original Blackest Night prophecy in order to escape the sciencells.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:33 AM   #15
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grundy View Post
I really don't see any inconsistency in Driq appearing in Vol. 2 or in Blackest Night. In Vol. 2, while it's true no other GL became a zombie (that we know of) I don't see any reason he couldn't be a unique case. Perhaps it's not only the ring that's kept him a zombie. The ring wasn't repairing his body, his body was definitely dead and falling apart, so in my mind the ring was receiving instructions from Driq's soul not a living brain, perhaps it was this ability to maintain a connection to the ring that made Driq unique. That said when the black ring resurrected Driq's body he took the opportunity to regain control of it, perhaps he willed a ring from a fallen lantern (there were plenty at the time) to his resurrected Black lantern body, hence green and black rings. It would not go against Sallakks moratorium against no new recruits because the ring would have recognized Driq as a lantern, just one that had been away for awhile. This is how I explain it to myself. Is this reading between the lines, most definitely. In comics you can't expect every story to follow continuity perfectly, too many different writers involved especially in a long running series such as GL sometimes you have to fill in the blanks yourself and that's OK. I thought it was a nice touch to have him appear as the first time we see Driq in Vol.2 is right after Sinestro tells the Mad god of sector 3600 about the original Blackest Night prophecy in order to escape the sciencells.
I don't actually have a problem with Dirq in Vol 2. My main point is that if people are gonna bitch about him in Blackest Night and not try to justify it, then that same BS applies to his very first appearance as well.

I see it the way you do.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:06 AM   #16
Abin Surly
or ewe sirius

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Driq was a dead GL whose soul was prevented from leaving his body by his ring (Vol. 2 #217 (October 1987). His power cut off when Sinstro destroyed the battery in Green Lantern Vol. 2 #223 he finally crumbled to dust.
Two words: "Zero Hour".
Old 06-09-2010, 08:58 PM   #17
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

^ Word!

Darth_Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #18
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Or "Infinite Crisis."
Old 06-24-2010, 01:36 AM   #19
redjirachi
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

Perhaps its due to Bizzare Alien Biology.Or when fighting the Mad God of Sector 3600 his mind was altered to the point it could escape into the ring.Or maybe it's when Prime went Retcon PUNCH!The same retcon punch that created Geoff Johns
redjirachi is offline   Reply With Quote