The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 2
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 2

Old 11-21-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
Lantern2814.20850
Green Lantern

Default Comixlogy running GL volume 2

Hey all, well, last week I mentioned in the Volume 3 thread that Comixology has started to run Volume 3 (at least for the next year or so.)
at the same time, they're also running Volume 2's later issues which they started with issues 172 and 173

This week they continue the run with issues 174-175

Now, I had asked about two or three years ago why Comixology referred to the post Rebirth run of Green Lantern as volume 5. Well, now it's clear. Shortly after the Hard Traveling Heroes run ended and Dennis O'Neil and Neal Adams went on to do other things, Green Lantern>0<Green Arrow was cancelled. To Comixology this Meant that Green Lantern Volume 2 had ended and thus when the title was brought back it started being volume 3 despite the fact that it continued the same numbering (Comixology is, as far as I've noticed, the only Comic source that considers this to be true.)
Old 11-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
Space Cop
The Dandy

I like Arisia's surprised face in the top, center there.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
Lantern2814.20850
Green Lantern

Well this week ends a storyline and begins a new feature. Comixology releases issues 176 and 177

In 176 Hal concludes his fight with THE SHARK and in 177 Hal fights the returning Hector Hammond.
Also in 177 DC started running back-up stories referred to as THE TALES OF THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS
Old 12-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
Lantern2814.20850
Green Lantern

Well, this week Begins a whole new series of pitfalls for

For one thing.....WE ONLY GET ONE ISSUE THIS WEEK?!?...............bummer.
also, Just as everything's going good for Hal, (He's got Carol, he's back home on Earth, he,s working at Ferris again...etc) a guardian appears to charge Hal with a special mission in deep space. Lousy timing as a high-tech mercenary crew of saboteurs called Demolition Team has been hired to demolish Ferris Aircraft down to it's foundations.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
Space Cop
The Dandy

Ah, the Demolition Team ... memories.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
Lantern2814.20850
Green Lantern

Sadly, No new issue this week

Cov w/ Comixology via Facebook

Michael Kramer: No Green Lanterns this week?!?
according to the Blog Monday we should have gotten
Green Lantern (1990-2004) #12 and
Green Lantern (1976-1986) #179

but i'm not seeing them on the app nor the main site

ComiXology Sorry about that Michael, these books are not available this week! We'll let you know if that changes.
15 minutes ago Like

Michael Kramer that's ok (fortunately I HAVE the original hardcopies but they bothe left cliffhangers last week so i'm suddenly getting the feeling I used tio get when i was buying them the first time around....just don't make us wait a whole month ok? lol.
12 minutes ago Like

ComiXology We know the feeling well, we'll keep our eyes peeled for word from DC
11 minutes ago Like
Old 12-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
Lantern2814.20850
Green Lantern

Well, this week we're back with not one but two issues of...

I love doing that!
Anyway, this is where things start to get shaken up in the GL Status Quo. First in #179 The Predator is introduced in humanoid form and saves well, mostly just the lives of the Ferris Aircraft staff but Ferris itself is leveled. In the next issue (#180 for the numerically challenged) Hal is confronted by Carol Ferris who insists that he choose between his duties as a Green Lantern or to be with her. (we see his choice on the last page but the cover to the next issue is so cool I'll save the reveal 'til then)
Old 01-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #8
Lantern2814.20850
Green Lantern

Well, this is it! the end of Hal Jordan as

lol well, yeah, it wouldn't last long of course but still it does seem to be a recurring trend with Hal starting here (I think the guy's had more comebacks than a boomerang at this point!) anyway, the first time it's completely of his own free will (although as he's doing it for the love of Carol Ferris that point is a bit debatable as women make guys do the dumbest stuff for the promise of a little between the sheets action)
anyway the Guardians don't waste much time in choosing Hal's replacement as we see in GL #182 and 183

Then, Hal Jordan breaks the fourth wall in issue 184 and narrates an issue starring his other back-up Guy Gardner who, as far as Hal knows, is left in a near vegetative state after a fight with Sinestro. This is actually largely a reprint of #59

Here's the two introductory Splash pages

Last edited by Lantern2814.20850; 01-09-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Lantern2814.20850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #9
Lantern2814.20850
Green Lantern

Well Big Goings on this week in the world of

No those aren't this week's releases. Comixology has gone back and forth with it's releases of this run on GL they've done the silver age then the bronze age then back to the silver age then the Hard Traveling Heroes then back to the bronze age these were some of the first issues of this run that Comixology offered.
First #185 goes back and tells how the Guardians approached John Stewart and asked him to be the replacement for his predecessor. Note: despite the exchanges on the covers, John does not yet know that Hal was his predecessor as GL. He knows Hal only as a co-worker at Ferris) plus John helps Bruce Gordon fight Eclipso in a two issue adventure that concludes in 186.
Then, in #187 John realizes his skills aren't up to snuff when he almost botches a rescue of astronauts in orbit. He goes to the Guardians to ask the identity of his predecessor to get some tips but they honor Hal Jordan's privacy and instead assign Katma Tui to be John's trainer.
Ok that was the old News! here's the New!

First in #188 John Stewart's Identity is revealed on the news. Of course, John had operated as a Green Lantern without his mask before (Green Lantern>o<Green Arrow 87) I guess his reporter friend Tawny Young never bothered to look through the news footage of the bogus assassination attempt John and Hal broke up in that prior issue. adding to that, John's trainer Katma Tui shows her feelings for Hal Jordan IN FRONT OF CAROL FERRIS!!! (I almost died laughing when I saw that bit it was just too funny!) Plus in a backup Tales of the GLC we get the first appearance of MOGO!!!
Then in #189
Kat trains John as a GL while Hal and Carol search for leads to the Predator. also Hal tells Carol about Guy Gardner and Kat and John work together to defeat Sonar and his gang.
Finally Tales of the GLC introduces Xax, the Grasshopper Green Lantern.

Last edited by Lantern2814.20850; 01-09-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #10
Space Cop
The Dandy

John should return to that hair style.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #11
Lantern2814.20850
Green Lantern

made a quick edit to last week's post to clarify the primary differences between GL 59 and it's reprint 184
Old 01-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #12
Lantern2814.20850
Green Lantern

Only One issue of

Still it's a good one.
This week John agonizes over not knowing his predecessor's true identity while Katma Tui uses his shower.....and just to make things more awkward Tawny Young shows up with Green Arrow and Black Canary. Meanwhile Hal continues to track the Predator.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #13
Lantern2814.20850
Green Lantern

This Week in

It'll take me a while to figure this one out!
lol seriously, It was a pretty good issue despite the weirdness at the end.
I know a lot of people are down on the Rainbow Corps and the various entities but honestly, after reading the last few issues from this run I actually pref the Predator as an Alien lookalike as opposed to stalker-boy here.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #14
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

That whole Predator storyline was just stupid. I hate that character, and the fact that it seems obvious that they made up the "secret" behind him as they went along. I couldn't believe it when they dredged up that bit of continuity not once but twice, IIRC, in the next volume of GL (and with conflicting explanations to boot).
Old 02-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #15
Lantern2814.20850
Green Lantern

Well, this is it we learn the secret of the Predator in

Yeah I definitely like the Light Entity they have now way better than this Soap opera!
Basically this story is a series of Flashbacks that could be titled 101 reasons Hal and Carol have no future ( Too bad! I liked her!)
In the meantime John and Katma Tui (another doomed romance btw) attack Zamaron with another GL in tow....
Old 02-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #16
Lantern2814.20850
Green Lantern

Well,Everyone learns something in this week's

John Learns that (in the words of the Federation president from Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country) Just because we can do a thing, it does not necessarily follow that we must do that thing.
Katma learns that the Guardians have hearts after all.
The Guardians learn that there's a force in the universe destroying worlds.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #17
Lantern2814.20850
Green Lantern

This week in

The Crisis Begins!
Harbinger takes John Stewart to face the Monitor
Katma Tui and Tom Kalmaku mend fences with Hal Jordan
Abin Sur's grave is desecrated!
Guy Gardner is selected by a Guardian to be the Next Green Lantern
Old 02-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #18
Lantern2814.20850
Green Lantern

In this weeks issue of

Guy Gardner officially becomes a full time member of he GLC
Meanwhile Hal Jordan, meets with a Guardian and learns that they have no intention of fighting the Anti-Monitor and his told that he will never be a Green Lantern again.
Until next week....

(btw you can also pick up Crisis #9 as well as Comixology has the entire series available!)

Last edited by Lantern2814.20850; 02-20-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #19
Lantern2814.20850
Green Lantern

This week in

"3" Follows the adventures of Hal John and Guy following the events in Crisis #7
Hal is largely Philisophical about being refused re-enlistment by the Guardians into the Green Lantern Corps.
Guy Gardner is a ball of rage at having been passed over for so long. and he takes it out mostly on his home town of Baltimore
John Stewart of course, is just happy to be back home in Katma Tui's arms.
and Hal tells John who he really is (The GL that initially recruited him)

Now in this issue we pick up a few things.
First, Green Lanterns can't actually physically visit Oa because it's at the center of the Universe. they have to send "Energy Twins" to report to Oa for them as it would take more than a lifetime to travel there physically
Secondin certain situations a Green Lantern ring could resurrect dead beings (such as Guy does with the Shark
and also, the Guardians had John picked when he was about 12 but they didn't send Hal to recruit him until a few Years later.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #20
Lantern2814.20850
Green Lantern

With Comixology having a bit of a flap in the home office, their back issue offerings are out of sorts. which is why we had to wait an extra week to get this issue of...

Guy is amassing his crew of villains for an assault on Qward's Moon and it doesn't matter to him if good people are killed along the way. (Shark eats a prison guard while Guy's busting Hector Hammond out!)
fortunately Katma Tui returns to action (see last post for details)
However, before John and Kat can stop Guy and his pack of baddies, Hal Jordan appears wearing a power ring and reveals that he was given the ring by the guardian that gave Guy Gardner his ring and assignment. The Guardian gave Hal his ring on the condition that he assist Guy Gardner's mission. and as Hal and Guy fly off with the better part of the GL rogue's gallery another old foe appears to John and Kat telling them that the mission Hal and Guy are on must fail or it will mean the end...
Old 03-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #21
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern2814.20850 View Post
...Guy is amassing his crew of villains for an assault on Qward's Moon and it doesn't matter to him if good people are killed along the way. (Shark eats a prison guard while Guy's busting Hector Hammond out!)...
Yeah, I think Guy at his absolute worse (he'll do something with GLs later that's even more despicable) and it's because of this arc and his challenging Hal in vol. 3 that I hated GG for years.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #22
Lantern2814.20850
Green Lantern

Well we had a few week's off but now we're back with a new issue of...

And Brother! It's a doozy! (I'm giving away the end due to it's importance so if you haven't read this issue and don't want it spoiled come back after you've read it

Done? good let's get on with it!)

We pick up where we left off with Sinestro about to explain why Kat and John need to stop Guy, Hal and the assorted villains they've collected from destroying the Bright Spot on Qward's moon. Of course, this cues up the obligatory Sinestro origin story.
So Sinestro explains basically that destroying the bright spot on Qward's moon would cause an imbalance in the symmetry that exists between the Anti-Matter Universe and the Positive Matter Universe that would instantaneously destroy both......(kind of like proving God is wrong in Dogma)
Anyway, John decides to get some advice from the Guardians on Oa but to do so he needs to be there physically which is nearly impossible with the rings current limitations so he and Sinestro construct a cannon and push their opposing powers against each other to "shoot" John across the otherwise impassable expanse between Earth and Oa (probably the most un-calculated Warp Jump in History)
The good News is it works John is re-united with Tomar Re, Arisia, Xax etc. as well as the Guardians who finally take down the energy shield and when Katma Tui joins them in energy form they use their power to bring her Oa physically as well.
The BAD news is Sinestro basically hitched a ride with John to arrive at Oa.
while, at first the Guardians don't believe Sinestro's story, The Central Power Battery possesses Tomar and basically tells them that Sinestro's information is correct (Interesting to note that the CPB has sentience in these early stories (one wonders if in today's comics that would be ret-conned into Ion speaking)
Meanwhile, Hal Guyand Co. proceed through a dimensional warp to Qward's moon (with a nauseatingly detailed description of the trips sensations provided but Hal.) They are almost immediately attacked by Weaponers and Guy wastes no time in retaliating.
During the battle Guy commands Hal to use his ring to kill when Hal refuses Guy reminds him that the condition of Hal's wearing the ring was that he MUST follow Guy's orders. Hal acknowledges this and promptly quits. Guy, attacks him and steals Hal's temp ring away from him leaving him for dead. fortunately for Hal the Corps arrives in time to save him.
Hal and the Lanterns attack Guy and his villain army but several Lanterns are killed.
Tomar is fatally wounded and passes his ring to John Stewart. John's ring flies off his hand and is replaced by Tomar's while Hal's ring flies back to his own hand essentially re-instating him as a Green Lantern while Hal mourns Tomar John uses his ring to put Hal back in Uniform
Old 04-04-2013, 12:41 AM   #23
Evergreen City
Corps Den Mother

It is this issue in particular which makes the Tomar-Re and Hal Jordan characters and dialogs in the current books so unrealistic, so shallow, so ho-hum. Thanks for the walk down Memory Lane. And let us know if Comixology re-runs the list of where all the "retro" art in issue #192 came from--yes, there was a contest, and a winner.

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.
Evergreen City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #24
Lantern2814.20850
Green Lantern

Sadly I don't think they do. Comixology seems only to scan the cover and the storyline pages. letters pages and miscellaneous pages have always been omitted.
Now onto....

So Now, Hal is back in the Corps where he belongs and his first mission as Green Lantern is to check the status of the Zamaron Queen, Star Sapphire aka: Carol Ferris Hal's now Ex-Girlfriend (and I thought I had relationship problems lol)
John and Katma Tui on the other hand have a much simpler task. travel to Maltus and request Appa Ali Apsa (The Old Timer) to accompany them back to Oa.
Finally Arisia, Ch'p and Saalak are on the hunt for Goldface and Lurlan Dupo Goldface, who was responsible for Tomar Re's Death is particularly difficult to take down but when Hal arrives to assist in the arrest the Four Corps members are able to take him down.

Notes of Interest:
Katma makes essentially what amounts to a pledge of marriage to John when they arrive on Maltus
The Old Timer tells John and Kat of his experiences with Hal and Green Arrow and how his saving Hal's life led him to become stripped of his status as a guardian and his immortality.
Hal makes a Final attempt to free Carol Ferris of Star Sapphire but learns it's impossible. (Carol will remain Star Sapphire until issue 24 of Green Lantern Volume 3)
Goldface reveals that Guy Gardner is now not only a wanted loose cannon by the Corps, but also a hated enemy of the very gang of villains he himself assembled.
Guy Gardner reveals to Star Sapphire that the Zamarons have abandoned her.

Last edited by Lantern2814.20850; 04-10-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #25
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern2814.20850 View Post
Sadly I don't think they do. Comixology seems only to scan the cover and the storyline pages. letters pages and miscellaneous pages have always been omitted...
The Mega Man trades I just read on Comixology included the letter cols. Maybe that's an Archie comics thing (or just a MM thing for all I know).