No announcement yet.

Geoff Johns' delusions of grandeur

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geoff Johns now has a delusion of grandeur? Bloody hell, man, what does it take for a fandom to appreciate the man? He's a proven literary god amonst men in the comic book writing community and has bent over backwards to please just about everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
      But you are being deliberately obtuse to deny that Geoff is the one who actually wrote them back into being.
      I guess I'm curious, then... what is the Geoff Johns story that "wrote them back into being" that he can claim full credit for?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
        I guess I'm curious, then... what is the Geoff Johns story that "wrote them back into being" that he can claim full credit for?
        I guess I'm curious, then... how is it that you require a single STORY that Geoff can take FULL writing credit for to give him the credit, yet you were perfectly willing to give the credit to others (cutting Geoff out entirely) without the benefit of that distinction?

Look, I don't really want to get into a big argument over it. It isn't that important. I'm not trying to give Geoff too much credit- like I said, even without him, the Corps was going to be coming back. But you seem to be refusing to give him ANY credit (maybe I'm misunderstanding you), which just seems disingenuous, since it sure seems like he was the creative force (not editorial, creative) behind shaping the new GL status quo.
        Mister Ed
        Horse of a Different Color
        Last edited by Mister Ed; 09-11-2009, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HalFingJordan View Post
          Geoff Johns now has a delusion of grandeur? Bloody hell, man, what does it take for a fandom to appreciate the man? He's a proven literary god amonst men in the comic book writing community and has bent over backwards to please just about everyone.
          well he IS a good writer there's no denying that just take a look at smallville episode legion (the first time legion of superheroes got in to smallville universe) and i can't wait for justice society episode this season.

all i'm saying is he makes his every work grand and i don't think it's necessary. just look at new krypton. superman was the last kryptonian. now kandor (+argo city) is the last kryptonian city. not everything have to be epic and grand. GL has to be epic and grand, hell wonder woman can be epic (the direct to dvd movie and amazon attack illustrates this although amazon attack did it less justice), but superman? batman? superman should be the last son of krypton, and i can't even begin to imagine how can a batman story be epic, batman should be deeply emotional, make one think, just like the movie the dark knight (it's a great story, but it's not epic in a sense of blackest night or lord of the ring epic).

i guess i'm just a fan of doing more with less.
          superpc
          Guy's Drinking Buddy
          Last edited by superpc; 09-11-2009, 06:15 PM.

Comment

I think he had some role in helping to bring them back is what he is saying, but he wasn't the main guy who wrote them back into being, he just set the stage. I think Gibbons deserves more credit for creating some of the newer members of the Corps like Vath Sarn and Isamot Kol, but I think Geoff deserves a bit more credit for creating Soranik since it seems like he already had a plan laid out for her with Sinestro being her father and stuff.
            -His Divine Majesty King Groot the 23rd, Monarch of Planet X, custodian of the branch worlds, ruler of all he shades, flora colossus.

Comment

I agree to a large degree with the initial post: Adding more of something waters it down. Green Lanterns aren't so special anymore, they aren't "bearers of the most powerful weapon in the universe" anymore, they are bearers of "one of 8 most powerful weapons in the universe".

There was a time when a single GL was responsible for their entire sector. This meant they had to be the best of the best, and able to solve problems on their own. But now it seems like they can't do squat without having their partner there with them, or multiple GLs even. Yeah, sometimes in the past there were team ups, but that was only when it was absolutely necessary, not all the time.

Imagine this - Clint Eastwood in many of his old movies was a "lone cowboy" that got stuff done on his own. Yeah, he would enlist the help of some locals now and again, but by and large it was all him. If we had two, it would seem less special. If we had a whole band of him, it would be even less special and wouldn't make nearly the impact it does when it's a single man.

Another analogy can be taken from Plato/Socrates:

Pure white light is perfect. All you need is a single square (lets just say 1 inch squared) of perfect white light for it to be perfect. You don't need more of this, it doesn't make it anymore perfect. On top of that, infinite impure white light is still less perfect than a tiny piece of limited pure white light. See where I'm going with this?

More isn't always better, and in many cases, less is more.

I enjoy the Emo Corps, but I really hope when all is said and done, we see severely decreased #s of all the Corps, including the GLs.
              sigpic
              Winner: Reality TV draft 2014

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman

Comment

i like how things are going with gl but there should only be one superman.. and batman is batman...i like how there are all the corps in green lantern. i know that everyone has dreamed of there being a character with a blue ring or red or whatever for years before this stuff all happened.

Comment

5. The actual Green Lantern Corps were rebuilt in "Green Lantern Corps: Recharge," not Rebirth... and that was only co-written by Geoff.
                  Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                  I guess I'm curious, then... how is it that you require a single STORY that Geoff can take FULL writing credit for to give him the credit, yet you were perfectly willing to give the credit to others (cutting Geoff out entirely) without the benefit of that distinction?
                  But I didn't "cut Geoff out entirely"... I acknowledge he co-wrote Recharge.

But the blanket statements, "Geoff brought back the Corps"/"We should be thankful Geoff brought back the Corps" is bullshit. Geoff has a partial stake in things, that's all.

And he's not even the one that got the ball rolling on that.

Comment

If it makes for a good story and doesn't screw with the mythology, I'm all for it. Just think- Without Blackest Night, what would we be talking about? SCW/BN is why at least half of us are here on this forum.

Comment

bravo maverick you convey my point better than i did. unless geoff and company can find more stuff to do for the other lantern (green or otherwise) i wish some of them (a lot of them) got killed (the nameless grunt, not any major ones, please don't kill saint walker or ganthet).

Comment

I hope the Sinestro Corps and the 7200 number of GLs stay around.

Comment

But I didn't "cut Geoff out entirely"... I acknowledge he co-wrote Recharge.
                          Sorry, I guess I misinterpreted your meaning when you said "Thank Tomasi (when he was editor) and Gibbons for that, not Geoff." That sure sounded like cutting Geoff out entirely. Surely you can see where I would get that impression from that quote, though?

But, yeah, you did later acknowledge that he co-wrote Recharge.

Comment

I understand the original poster's thought that Johns has a tendancy to radically change the status quo but I don't really fault him for it. I hate the fact they make Kal-El the last Kryptonian yet continously introduce others, I was against the Loeb revival of Supergirl, at least the Kandor New Krypton has a bit more continuity. IMHO, they've been writing Superman Comics horribly for a while now so Johns going in there and expanding it doesn't really phase me. I love what he has done with GL and he got me back into reading The Flash, so I'll let him have his dozens of Kryptonians in books I don't care about.

Comment

Yo.

Originally posted by superpc View Post
                              I wonder, if he ever takes over batman books, maybe he'll have batman take over leagues of shadows and make an army of batmen.
                              hate to ruin yur day, but there *already is* a League of Batmen.

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
                              Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

Originally posted by Tazer View Post
                                hate to ruin yur day, but there *already is* a League of Batmen.
                                what league of batmen? i thought we only have batman family (you know batman, robin, etc.)

Comment

Working...
                                X