GL: The Hunt for Hal Jordan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GL: The Hunt for Hal Jordan

The Hunt for Hal Jordan is an idea I had back when it was believed Hal would be venturing into the unknown sectors beyond where the Source Wall once stood. Like many of my other fanfics this will take bits from current continuity and I’ll just spin some things a bit differently. I’m not going to get into the other Forces like in the Flash comics, and both the Invisible Spectrum showing up in Snyder’s JL and the Emotional Spectrum from GL’s past decade will both not play parts in this story. I’ll be taking a page from the stuff happening in Titans with Source Wall ‘emergent energy’ playing into this story. If this lasts beyond the opening arc, after the team finds Hal the roster will go through some changes here and there. Similar to the Guardians of the Galaxy when the team was relaunched in the modern day with a bunch of characters 90% of comic fans didn’t even know existed, I’m gonna rotate in and out probably around 5 or 6 characters total before I settle on the core team.

This is still very much a Kyle Rayner story, however in this instance I’ve decided to write him in a team setting rather than go at something lone wolf. There’s honestly already another fanfic idea I had written a chapter or two for featuring both Hal and Kyle back on Earth with a split POV each chapter similar to the Superman/Batman comics out there. THfHJ is a story though with a beginning, middle, and end so I decided to run with it first and see where it takes me.

I’m proofreading the first chapter one more time, making sure all the tags are right, etc. before posting it. As always critiques and comments are always welcome and appreciated!

Kyle Rayner ventured into unknown space at the edge of the known universe where the Source Wall once stood. Debris was everywhere as well as an unknown energy. The faint energy trail left by Hal’s ring before he crossed into the uncharted sectors some six weeks earlier was hard enough to track already. It wasn’t long after Honor Guard Lantern Kyle Rayner entered the unknown parts of the universe in search of his friend that his ring began losing power.

“Unknown energy negatively effecting Oan tech, return to known space and report. Power levels at 76% and declining rapidly…” the ring began repeating like an alarm clock.

“My name is Kyle Rayner. I’ve been a Green Lantern for awhile now. At times I’ve been much more. But right now it looks like if I don’t turn around I‘m gonna be….”

“Unknown energy negatively effecting Oan tech, return to known space and report. Power levels at 68% and declining rapidly…”

Chapter 1 – “POWERLESS.”

Space Sector: 0, the planet Oa….
    Later...

Kyle Rayner was now in a meeting with Lanterns Salaak and Kilowog, as well as Lanterns Stel and Torquemada just outside the Central Power Battery.

“The energy is both cosmic AND magical, with a little bit of the unknown thrown into the mix. The only thing that is certain is….” the hooded Torquemada began before being interrupted by the technological Stel.

“That it depletes the power of our rings as soon as we venture into unknown space. There could be a way around it.” Stel responded looking like some anime robot in green.

“But could Hal have known that before his ring went dead? Damn poozer always flies by the seat of his pants!” Kilowog commented further with a snarl.

“It is of upmost importance we find Hal Jordan so that he may report his discoveries to the Guardians. Any information about the universe beyond where the Source Wall once stood will be invaluable to the Guardians. Lanterns Stel and Rayner, come up with something to get around the unknown space sectors’ effects on our rings. Kilowog, if we can’t get rings to function we may need to call in some favors outside of the Corps…” Salaak instructed.

“Stel and I worked for what seemed like days. And it likely was seeing as how an Oan day lasted nearly thirty-seven Earth hours to the twenty-four I’m used to. I felt like a video-game developer trying to come up with something for kids twelve and under….” Kyle thought to himself after countless hours of sketching and working alongside Stel to put the power of the rings into other devices.

“I’m not a super savvy tech guy. But when I came across old blueprints in the Foundry for the Manhunter robots…. Stel and I finally had somewhere else to start. We managed to put most of the properties of the ring into a pistol similar to what the Manhunters wielded. It had a finite charge, with the personal force field, and flight. The battery as well as a different type of A.I. I developed with Stel was reworked into a small star-cruiser. If ‘Wog had hair and Stel was spray-painted gold I’d be a stand-in for Han Solo.”

Kyle stepped into the personal quarters of Hal that was on Oa. Hal had left his father’s jacket, a picture of Carol, and a couple changes of clothes. A cell phone from about nine years earlier was also in a drawer with a few old contacts like Barry and Ollie on a piece of paper.

Kyle took one look at the jacket hanging on the back of an Oan chair. Some time later he was stepping out of the quarters of Torquemada with the jacket in hand.

Hours later….

Kyle showed up to a hangar in a different type of suit. Since the ring wasn’t in his arsenal he couldn’t depend on it for the usual attire. Instead he had what looked like light body armored black gloves and pants with a green shirt and black mask. He also had a belt with a holster for the green gun and a GL symbol for a buckle. He had Hal’s jacket in his hands.

“What’re you gonna do with THAT, poozer? Something happens to Hal’s jacket and he’ll….” Kilowog began.

“He’ll be glad to see it. Trust me.” Kyle responded with a smirk. “Who’d we manage to get for this field trip, Salaak?” Kyle asked walking up to the ship.

“We reached out to everyone that we could, save for the House of Zod. Orion wished to be a part of this, however he is currently tied up with Mister Miracle. After that human in the space taxi was pulled over for false tags and ID in sector 0421 we confiscated his ship and put the mother-box warp drive into your star cruiser. Kilowog has agreed to join you even without a ring.” Salaak explained.

“Kilowog’s like the meanest drill sergeant mixed with Barney the Dinosaur on steroids.” Kyle thought as Kilowog powered down after removing his ring and giving it back to Salaak.

“Is it really just gonna be the two of us? I knew I should’ve brought my old classics mix CD!” Kyle asked patting the larger Lantern.

“Of course not, we also reached out to the Justice League of your Earth….” Salaak continued as two heroes came down from the cargo bay.

Hawkgirl and what appeared to be the Atom walked off of the star cruiser. Hawkgirl was sporting more silver and gold armor to match her current wings. Her helmet looked like something out of a cyberpunk anime from decades earlier, and after she removed it there was the tough demeanor of a short haired Kendra Saunders. The Atom, in size, resembled an old giant Power Rangers figure from the 90's. He couldn't have been more than two or three feet tall.

“Is that you Ray? Why’re you only two feet tall? Your dwarf star get ED?” Kyle joked.

“The energy from the Source Wall affected my belt as well as hundreds of others in the Milky Way Galaxy. After it malfunctioned in the microverse I got stuck this size trying to revert to normal. I’m coming along to study these new energy signatures and try to get back to regular size. Others back on Earth need rescuing as much as Hal.” responded the Atom in a red and blue tech suit refitted for space.

“Wog!? You ready to boldly go…?” Kyle began to say before Kilowog revved the engines of the ship.

“So not only are we looking for Hal we’re also studying these strange energies. This is looking more and more like something out of Star Trek. I got nothing better to do though.” Kyle thought before speaking to the ship’s new AI.

“A.L.E.X., are you online?” Kyle asked setting down in the captain's chair.

A hologram of a female resembling his ex that was killed some time after he first got the ring appeared.

“Awaiting command.” the floating green woman responded.

“Let’s go find Hal!” Kyle yelled as the group took off from the surface of Oa.

Five weeks ago….

Unknown sector.

Hal Jordan’s eyes opened and he struggled to get to his feet. His right arm was busted and he couldn’t run. His ring was dead. His suit was damaged. Fire and what looked like debris from a destroyed alien city was all around.

“What could do this? What the hell happened to my ring?” Hal asked himself staggering forward. He laid low when signs of an invading force marched through.

Three weeks ago…

Hal managed to find a camp of alien refugees from various planets. He was still beat up looking and desperately in need of food.

“Any chance one of you speaks English?” he asked as a tiny robot flew in front of his face and scanned him.

TO BE CONTINUED!

Ωmega Man
    Guardian of the Universe
    Last edited by Ωmega Man; 03-18-2020, 11:36 PM. Reason: Added top group image... 2/24/2020

Comment

Well, I don't normally read fanfic, but since you asked specifically.
      I like that you tied it in with what's going on currently in the DCU. The GLC should be more central to universal events.
      Some of the dialogue would be a bit wordy (as in it sounds like a lot for people to actually be saying) if it were to be an actual comic, but then again an actual comic couldn't make all the fun cultural references.
      I love the idea of the Atom being stuck at two feet. Not small enough to be very useful, so a real handicap in a battle.
      Oh, and I'm curious what Kyle's classics mix would be.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
        Well, I don't normally read fanfic, but since you asked specifically.
        I like that you tied it in with what's going on currently in the DCU. The GLC should be more central to universal events.
        Some of the dialogue would be a bit wordy (as in it sounds like a lot for people to actually be saying) if it were to be an actual comic, but then again an actual comic couldn't make all the fun cultural references.
        I love the idea of the Atom being stuck at two feet. Not small enough to be very useful, so a real handicap in a battle.
        Oh, and I'm curious what Kyle's classics mix would be.
        The Atom being stuck at two feet was my way of having a person/character the size of Rocket Racoon without actually having to use some new form of Ch'p or an additional ringless Lantern on the squad. I'm surprised nobody has said anything or asked about the weapon in Hawkgirl's hand....

Kyle's classic mix probably wouldn't surprise anybody at all. Some RHCP, NIN, Nirvana, Beastie Boys, Dropkick Murpheys, 311, Harvey Danger, and Sublime. Possibly some early Incubus. He'd likely have some Synthwave thrown in there too since he's into anime but I can't remember what all they called it in the 90's. The Mortal Kombat theme from the '95 movie would also be there LOL

Comment

GL The Hunt for Hal Jordan

Finally Hehehe... Thanks... Im not going to bother posting the rest of the chapters up here since no one replies with feedback cept for you, . If you want more, PM me and Ill give you the link.

____
          XEVIL: NEW the best program for solving any CAPTCHA, including Google ReCaptcha-2

Comment

Originally posted by FannieROW View Post
            Finally Hehehe... Thanks... Im not going to bother posting the rest of the chapters up here since no one replies with feedback cept for you, . If you want more, PM me and Ill give you the link.

____
            XEVIL: NEW the best program for solving any CAPTCHA, including Google ReCaptcha-2
            I'd give it a read.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
              I'd give it a read.
              I'm not sure what that guy means... but did you read the fanfic o' fearless administrator/shot caller?

Comment

Two weeks ago….

“My name is Hal Jordan. I’m the Green Lantern of Sector 2814. Weeks ago I crashed on this planet. My ring has been dead ever since.” Hal thought to himself as he wandered around the camp site. “I was chasing some weapons traffickers through warp-space when we landed in the unknown space sectors. Damn ring started acting up and they got the drop on me once we slowed down. I woke up later in what looked like a fallen city, invading forces were still all around. I don’t know how I managed to stay alive, but if I hadn’t stumbled onto this refugee camp I’d be dead by now.”

“This blue skinned woman…. She’s one of the leaders in the camp… I think she’s a telepath. It’d be helpful since I don’t have my ring’s translator to understand anybody.” Hal thought to himself passing the woman who also had some pretty wild looking hair and glowing yellow eyes.

Present day….

“I always liked Hal best, but Rayner is….” Kilowog thought from the bridge of the ship.

Chapter 2 - “…a good kid.”

Kyle Rayner wandered around the ship for an unknown amount of time while the ship was in hyper space. He had left Hal’s jacket by the captain’s chair on the bridge and he currently had his smart phone in hand looking for a place to plug it into. After a few moments he finally found one in a hallway near a small control panel near the floor. After plugging his phone in he asked out loud…

“ALEX, can you tap into my phone and play some music?” Kyle asked standing up off of the ground.

“He’s seen more in his short time with the ring than most of the other Earth GL’s, ‘cept maybe Hal.” Kilowog continued.

“Scanning software… converting files… Would you like for the files to be played over the intercom?” ALEX asked in response.

“Make it so!” Kyle exclaimed motioning his arm forward.

“Test your might….” Began playing with electro beats and early 90’s dub step, “Test your might…”

“I was staying on Earth for a bit some time before Kyle got a ring. I remember when music sounded like this.” Kilowog continued musing to himself.

“What in the nine hells are we listenin’ to, Poozer?” Kilowog asked from his station on the bridge as Kyle stepped back into the room.

“A theme song from my favorite childhood video game series, I found a plug to jack my phone into the ship’s intercom.” Kyle said with a smile taking a seat. “There was a movie right around the time I was born back in the 90’s….”

“Of course you’d have video game music… you’re a child in a man’s body. How were you ever a Lantern?” Hawkgirl asked, her wings retracted and her helmet was off as well.

“I’ve got a better question… How’d you end up with that Cosmic Staff or whatever? Isn’t that..?” Kyle started to ask before Kendra cut him off.

“Stargirl’s currently going through some family drama, so I asked if I could use it since she’s taking some time away from the costumes and crime fighting.” Hawkgirl responded.

“That’s interesting. Ray, what’s that coming up in the distance?” Kyle asked moving forward in his seat.

“Looks like a couple of inhabited moons and an asteroid field. There could be some debris from the Source Wall as well. We’re less than a quarter of a lightyear into the unknown sectors even with the Boom Tube tech in the ship’s engine. Much of it was empty space…” the Atom responded literally on top of a control panel.

“Now we’re gettin’ somewhere!” Kilowog thought, getting anxious.

“ALEX?” Kyle asked out loud.

“Yes, Kyle?” the AI responded.

“Did Stel have time to integrate the Boom Tube tech into a teleporting system?” Kyle asked.

“He did not.” ALEX responded, “However…”

“I did.” Kilowog responded. “What, did you think I was just gonna sit around and do nothing the last few days?”

“This kid should know me by now…” Kilowog thought with a smirk.

“Hawkgirl, you wanna touchdown and do some recon?” Kyle asked standing to his feet and putting the jacket on.

“What is this on the intercom now? Nirvana?” she asked putting her helmet back on and grabbing the cosmic staff.

“Nine Inch Nails. Nirvana’s on the playlist though…” Kyle responded.

“Look at you trying to be Tom Cruise in that jacket...” Hawkgirl said out loud following Kyle down the hallway by his phone.

The two heroes boomed down to the surface and the alien city looked to be recently decimated. There looked to be no survivors. Kyle’s gun was drawn, an energy field around his body as he flew forward with Hawkgirl as her wings were extended and pushing her on.

“Ray, how many more cities are on this moon?” Kyle asked.

“That is the only city, scanners aren’t picking anything else up and there are no other life signs other than your own.” The Atom responded from the ship’s bridge. Kilowog was manning some automated defenses on the ship.

“What’s the chances the other moon is similar to this one?” Kyle asked.

“Scanners are reading similar conditions but I haven’t got a clear visual of the surface. Source Wall energy is strong on the surface of the other moon and Hal’s energy may be in the area as well.” The Atom responded.

“Hawkgirl and I are gonna look around a bit longer. See if there’s any clues to who did this. We may have a fight on our hands.” Kyle said flying through a wrecked city that was still smoldering fire in areas with hundreds of dead aliens.

“Kilowog and I are going to take the shuttle craft to the other moon and check things out. I’m going to take some samples and see if the other energy signature is Hal’s ring or not. The Source Wall energy may have been responsible for some of this destruction.” The Atom responded.

Two weeks ago….

There were at least seventy-five to one hundred or so aliens in the camp on this unknown planet in an unknown sector. Hal Jordan helped where he could with making shelter for the survivors. Some of the aliens were humanoid and the red and white clothing probably meant they were from Rann. Other aliens such as some Tamaranians were more easily recognizable.

“If I didn’t know better I’d think that was the Queen of her people, but in a refugee camp?!” Hal thought before noticing another human looking alien in the bunch gathered near the stream of water.

“You look like somebody I’d know back on Earth… you a Teen Titan?” Hal asked before the kid motioned to his hand where a ring would be.

“Oh, my ring? It’s not working in these unknown sectors for some reason…” Hal began before the kid shook his head.

The young man kneeled down near some dirt or sand and motioned again to his hand before drawing a circle with an L in it and a star.

“No idea what the L stands for, but he seems like a good kid. Obviously a superhero from Earth with that costume… he just doesn’t speak any English. Good ol’ Jordan luck…” Hal thought to himself. “At least he acts like he knows what Lanterns are. Nobody else here has batted an eyelash at the sight of my torn up uniform.

From afar the blue skinned woman was walking among a group of refugees. She could understand everything that was being spoken in every language because of the Legion flight ring and translator on the pinky finger of her left hand. She didn’t know how she understood everyone, or how they understood her, she just knew they needed a leader.

Thirteen days ago….

Hal uncovered his dim personal power battery but it didn’t have enough energy to even light itself properly.

Twelve days ago….

Hal uncovered the battery once more and tried reciting the oath….

“In brightest day… In blackest night… no evil shall…” he paused before throwing the battery back into the rubble it was hidden in, “DAMN IT!!!”

Ten days ago….

“WAIT! I’VE GOT IT!!” Hal yelled before quieting back down while sitting near some refugees resting. “If I can convince one of the Tamaranians to kiss me they’ll know my language instantly. Somebody will finally understand me…” Hal continued talking to himself looking rough with stubble on his face and a tired look in his eyes.

“The Queen would kill you herself if you tried something that foolish.” The blue skinned woman said in response with her flying Skeets-like robot behind her.

Present day….

Kyle and Hawkgirl continued to fly over the city of the dead. Bodies and blood were everywhere.

“I can’t find any clues Hawkgirl. This looks like a mostly peaceful race of aliens. There’s no markings from starships on the ground or in the vegetation from them flying overhead….” Kyle stated while Kendra was still within earshot.

“Regular Batman and Robin aren’t we? I thought you’ve seen your fair share of galactic wars and crisis?” Hawkgirl responded touching down near Kyle.

“What do you mean?” Kyle asked.

“Look harder, Lantern. You can see it in the way the people on this rock were killed. There were multiple attackers. Heavier artillery than what was needed.” Hawkgirl continued. “There being no trace of starships just means the tech they were using was super advanced. Electro-magnetic engines, maybe. Possibly large scale teleportation…”

“Like in those superhero movies back on Earth with way too convoluted endings and more plot-holes than Swiss cheese? We should check on Ray and Kilowog. Atom, do you copy? Ray?” Kyle exclaimed, “ALEX, are Atom and Kilowog out of range for communications?” he asked.

“There’s an unknown energy effecting all communications and scanners on the other moon…” ALEX responded.

“ALEX, Boom Tube us back to the ship! We need to check on the others…” Kyle said in return, back in the air now with the winged Hawkgirl.

“The unknown energies are also now affecting teleportation systems. Hence the Atom and Kilowog taking a shuttle craft to the other moon…” ALEX continued.

Meanwhile on the other moon….

“Wog, you ever seen anything like this?!” the Atom asked from the backpack like area on the back of a personalized exploration mech.

“Looks like some kinda Rannian tech. Thought earlier I saw some Tamaranian tech too… but out here..?” Kilowog responded.

Suddenly the damaged red and white construction robot began sputtering and coming back to life. It was easily twice as large as the exploration mech Kilowog was piloting.

“Too bad Rayner’s not here to see this. Big robots were always HIS thing…” Kilowog thought as the refurbished robot began approaching them on giant treads.

Ωmega Man
                Guardian of the Universe
                Last edited by Ωmega Man; 09-14-2019, 02:21 AM. Reason: Added the small header...

Comment

Finally got around to reading the new chapter! Looks good and I’m still hooked on the story. Can’t wait to see what happens next!

Comment

Originally posted by Ωmega Man View Post
                    ...“I always liked Hal best, but Rayner is….a good kid.”
                    Pretty much my feelings.

...The young man kneeled down near some dirt or sand and motioned again to his hand before drawing a circle with an L in it and a star. . .
                    Ha. Should've known it would be a LoS story with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                      Pretty much my feelings.

Ha. Should've known it would be a LoS story with you.
                      Not... exactly. You remember when the Guardians of the Galaxy were reimagined and went through probably a dozen or so different members before settling on a core team? It's like that. I decided LoSH characters weren't off the table since Phantom Girl is still showing up in the Terrifics and chose Ultra Boy for my story.

I've got a list of probably eight or nine characters at least to rotate in and out of the story as it moves beyond the initial arc. I honestly don't know what the *final* team will look like. A few familiar faces, some nobody's seen or heard of in awhile, there's even one or two originals I'm gonna throw into the mix. There's a few New Gods I enjoy writing, some characters from Omega Men, etc. This will be a little bit of everything cosmic from DC...

Comment

Made micros for all of the people showing up in this. A couple of them will be seen next chapter, and though I mentioned the Legion character being Ultra Boy before... I think I'm switching it up and making it Cosmic Boy for story purposes. He's also in this group shot... anyway a few micros you may have seen before with a bunch of new ones added into the mix. Let me know how excited this gets you guys!

EDIT: Added the more up to date looks I'm gonna be using, and I put Deep Space Deadman in to take the spot of Comet cause I only need one telepath... lol

Ωmega Man
                        Guardian of the Universe
                        Last edited by Ωmega Man; 01-26-2020, 02:57 PM.

Comment

I'm really impressed! Great work! WOW!

Comment

Originally posted by bOB spelled backwards View Post
                            I'm really impressed! Great work! WOW!
                            Anything particular you like about the story?

Comment

Anything particular you like about the story?
                              I'm a fan of characterization. You captured their essence(s), but put your own 'spin' on them. I can only pop in and out these daze, but I'll try to give you a more thorough review as soon as possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X