Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Baz and Jessica united the Anti-Hal and/or Anti-Kyle fans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kyle doesn't have many ardent defenders any more. By ardent, I mean the people who wanted the whole GLC to remain nuked because they didn't want any competition from Kyle. At one time, there were quite a lot of people like that.

But then Geoff came along and told them that no, Hal was the greatest. And like the good little fanboys they were, they rolled over for him.

Comment

For me, it was never about "competition" for Kyle as much as I wanted the story to progress forward, not constantly looping back to whatever the status quo was five years ago.

And I never bought into Geoff's Hal-hype. I think this forum is full of record of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
        When I see criticisms of Baz, it's usually that his origin was uneven or that his costume is weird.
        It looked like a Lanternized version of Kick-Ass' costume.

Of course, there are fans who don't like the fact that he's Muslim, but that seems to be a small segment.
        The only problem I have with him being Muslim is that we NEVER see him practicing his faith. In the recent issue him and Jessica practically admit that they're not practicing their respective faiths. Beyond virtue signalling what's the point of making a Muslim character when he doesn't practice his faith? This is trying to pander to both sides. Make a Muslim character to pander to potential Muslim readers and then proceed show him not practicing it and even state that he's not practicing it to pander to the "OMG!!! I DON'T WANT RELIGION SHOVED DOWN MY THROAT" portion. The only distinct Arabic trait of his is his tattoo.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
          For me, it was never about "competition" for Kyle as much as I wanted the story to progress forward, not constantly looping back to whatever the status quo was five years ago.
          Yep. Over and over again.

Comment

Hal all the way; I really can't stand Baz and Jessica and they honestly made me not want to read any GL related stuff for a while.
            http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by JohnMc View Post
              It looked like a Lanternized version of Kick-Ass' costume.

The only problem I have with him being Muslim is that we NEVER see him practicing his faith.
              He's quoted the Quran a couple of times that I can remember.
              Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

But he never asked his ring to keep him up to date with Earth's solar cycle so he could pray to Mecca or follow Ramadan in space.
                We never see him wondering if alien food is halal.
                We haven't seen him actually following his religion in his day to day life.

Comment

^Yeah, he's admitted once or twice in the comics to not being a good Muslim (it came up early on when a fed questioned his tattoos). I'd say the comics portray him as someone who does not really practice Islam, but has not outright denounced or left it, like the equivalent of someone who goes to church once a year for Christmas.

Comment

Making it very convenient for writers who don't have to research shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
                      Making it very convenient for writers who don't have to research shit.
                      Though at least enough research was done at some point to know that Muslims generally view tattoos as a no-no.

Comment

Sooner they disappear from the comic rack the better the GL franchise will be.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
                          Sooner they disappear from the comic rack the better the GL franchise will be.
                          Quoted for truth.
                          http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

I like Charlie Vicker a lot more than either of them. Last I knew of Charlie, he joined the Darkstars and I'm pretty sure he died in the battle where John Stewart got his back broken.

His death was very downplayed. If memory serves, he was just a random looking guy in a panel who was dead, but I'm pretty sure it was him.
                            ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Working...
                            X