The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0
View Poll Results: Which GL will be the dead Lantern from HiC?!
Guy 1 9.09%
Baz 7 63.64%
Other (who else could it be?) 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-21-2018, 10:15 PM   #51
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Hal Guy and John is all they really need. The 3 longest tenured.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:18 AM   #52
Star-Lantern
Hal's Understudy

I would use Hal, Guy, and John, too.

I would keep Kyle Rayner around, but I would remove him from the Corps and turn him into something else that is appropriate. I remember saying this a long time ago, but I never thought that character worked all that well with the Green Lantern Corps. Perhaps he could, but I never felt that he did from what I read. His best adventures were without the Corps.

I think he can successfully be something else, it's just that the other things he has been haven't been good. The White Lantern is silly, and the name isn't any good. I can't think of a protagonist with god like abilities that I have ever found interesting, so Ion wouldn't work unless significantly de-powered.

Perhaps another version of Sentinel, and have him hang out with Jade and Alan; two other Green Lantern characters that I think work best without the Corps. Taking him out of the Corps would give him a reason to go back to New York without invading Hal Jordan's space, and reconnecting with Jade and Alan is probably the best for the character. All those characters have not been used as well as they could have, and they all work well together, so may as well use them together.

Likewise, because of their history, Guy and John are a natural fit, and if Hal Jordan is in The Green Lantern, I would eventually relaunch Green Lantern Corps with Guy and John, and give both of them good roles. I would also put Kilowog, Salaak, and Arisia in that title as important regular characters. I would mandate that those characters would need to be used regularly. No switching them out for Penelops, or something like that. Sure, bring in other Lanterns for fun and for plot, but the core of the book would need to be John, Guy, Kilowog, and Arisia. You can't develop characters well when they keep getting lost in the shuffle because someone wants to tell a story about some random Lantern who won't be used in any important capacity again. Characters getting lost in the shuffle and not being able to develop as characters has been a huge problem for GLC.

Jessica, Baz, Teen Lantern, Asian Lantern... they would all go away in my perfect world.

That is the most realistic thing I can think of to please the most people while also not watering down the franchise:

Hal Jordan with his solo.
Guy, John, Kilowog, and Arisia in Green Lantern Corps.

And Kyle with another (not stupid) identity with Jade and Alan and back in New York.

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 11-22-2018 at 07:27 AM.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:38 PM   #53
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-Lantern View Post
...I would keep Kyle Rayner around, but I would remove him from the Corps and turn him into something else that is appropriate...
I'd probably agree with that. There's been some good Kyle-Guy interactions, but overall, I think of Kyle as the guy who has to forget it out himself.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:30 PM   #54
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
Hal Guy and John is all they really need. The 3 longest tenured.
Checking comicvine.com Kyle has made 1,439 comic book appearances. Guy comes in with 1,346 appearances, with John in at 1,409. Kyle's made more of an impact in less time.

If DC was dumb enough to cut Kyle off completely, they'd be losing the GL equivalent of Nightwing and that's just stupid business.

Kyle had the longest running era from issue #51-#181 with at least a dozen or so mini series and one-shots. John and Guy have never carried a title for that long. Ever. Taking away Kyle from the Corps at this point would be like DC deciding to completely move Dick Grayson away from everything that is Batman. It might work for five minutes, cause Kyle has a fanbase if he has anything, but long term even Nightwing's 'Grayson' comic only lasted 20 issues.

After being a Blue Lantern a couple of times, two completely different versions of Ion, mastering every ring in the spectrum before becoming a White Lantern, then becoming the Omega Lantern under the pen of Tom King, back to being the White Lantern, then back to being a GL in essentially his original costume.... I'm happy that's he's back to being a Green Lantern.

Old 11-22-2018, 02:30 PM   #55
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

What works for me out of that is Hal in the flagship solo GL title. And then Guy and John. Doing the buddy cop thing in a GLC title with the alien GLs.

I wouldn't saddle Alan with Kyle though. That's unfair to Alan Scott and JSA fans to push him off on them like an unwanted relative. Let them do their own thing.

I'd wait a year or so to put out GLC. Then wait a bit to see if that 2nd title has it's sh#t together. If so, THEN pump out a Kyle title. Put him on Earth in NYC and give his fans what they want. A Will & Grace meets Spiderman comic. Stop trying to be something its not meant to be. Hire an all feminist creative team and go full on SJW with it, but keep it isolated to that one title. Like a petri dish.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:47 PM   #56
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ωmega Man View Post
If DC was dumb enough to cut Kyle off completely, they'd be losing the GL equivalent of Nightwing and that's just stupid business.
With Lobdell's new direction after Batman #56, DC seems intent on losing the Nightwing equivalent of Nightwing.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 03:12 PM   #57
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

The best thing for Kyle is to stay in Titans or to go away. Nothing else is going to work. Nobody gives a shit about his kewl loft apartment in NYC with Jade, or about the emotional spectrum, or about Odyssey.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 07:02 PM   #58
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
With Lobdell's new direction after Batman #56, DC seems intent on losing the Nightwing equivalent of Nightwing.
You don't need me to tell you that's gonna be short term. There's still a monthly Nightwing comic starring Grayson, even if he's going gangland with his Ric persona while a cop is masquerading as Nightwing....

Kyle could work in Titans or a JL spin-off, but when are TPTB gonna pull their heads out of their asses? B team books can use the built-in fanbase behind Kyle but it only lasts for so long if the concept never reaches its potential and the character doesn't need to be in a team setting to shine like other characters.

DC is just hell bent on not letting a legacy character outshine their Silver Aged counterparts. The minute a writer on a 2nd string book makes a 2nd stringer popular despite any status quo shake-ups they're put on a Batman or Superman title. Ginger Wally was never gonna get another solo Flash series because there's a risk it would outsell Barry. I'm shocked DC is willing to let the Teen Titans and Young Justice co-exist but we'll see how long that lasts....

Even if separating Kyle and making him part of Alan's legacy was an option, the JSA and Alan aren't even back yet and that kind of set-up would be years off. I wouldn't be completely against it [because at this point with Kyle I've literally tried everything else], but it would definitely be a hard sell. The only time I can think something like this was done was in the Superman/Batman Generations title where Kyle was the direct successor to Alan and had an awful costume with all the colors of Alan's classic suit thrown into the design.

Old 11-23-2018, 10:00 PM   #59
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Not Byrne's best costume design.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:55 PM   #60
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Yeah, i suspect that Byrne decided since it was his version of Kyle he was putting zero effort into it.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:01 AM   #61
jhpace1
Corpse Trainee

Guy Gardner was the only human GL with a believable alternate story - Warrior. But the Spectre "burned out" all of Guy's Vuldarian genes during the reboot, leaving Guy a normal human again. I'd prefer seeing Vuldarian Guy with a depowered GL ring than Kyle being sent off into deep space to be never seen again.
jhpace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 12:05 AM   #62
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

You found that believable?

To me it seems like John as a Darkstar was the alternate hero persona that was the easiest to swallow. I hate them all though.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:36 AM   #63
EmeraldGladiator
Manhunter Repairman

Quote:
What works for me out of that is Hal in the flagship solo GL title. And then Guy and John. Doing the buddy cop thing in a GLC title with the alien GLs.

I wouldn't saddle Alan with Kyle though. That's unfair to Alan Scott and JSA fans to push him off on them like an unwanted relative. Let them do their own thing.
Amen, I would love an Alan book, with Jade in it (spinning out of a JSA title) but would hate for it to be saddled with Kyle.
EmeraldGladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:05 AM   #64
Star-Lantern
Hal's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhpace1 View Post
Guy Gardner was the only human GL with a believable alternate story - Warrior. But the Spectre "burned out" all of Guy's Vuldarian genes during the reboot, leaving Guy a normal human again. I'd prefer seeing Vuldarian Guy with a depowered GL ring than Kyle being sent off into deep space to be never seen again.
That's interesting. I feel Warrior is the hardest to believe alternate Green Lantern identity, and also the worst.The only other one that comes anywhere close to rivaling it is Hal Jordan as Spectre. Both of those are so far out of left field. And also bad.

The Darkstars should have been a lot better than they were/are. I think the idea of them is cool, but the execution was terrible. The Darkstars were hindered by bad costumes and a bad comic book. They can actually be a cool concept with some polish, but that is a coulda', shoulda', woulda'. As it stands now, they aren't that cool, but they are believable to me in that they aren't way out of left field. Crisis established that the Maltusians split and some of them became Controllers. It isn't surprising that they would want to steer the universe their own way.

I'm sure this is a strange sentiment to many Green Lantern fans, but the Darkstars are the only other 'Corps' I have any interest in, although Yellow is tolerable. I admit the Sinestro Corps has been executed better than the Darkstars, but I think the concept of the Darkstars is better than the Sinestro Corps.

About Jade, Alan, and Kyle... my thinking was that Alan Scott would still be a part of a hypothetical JSA title, but he would also make appearances in a title with Kyle Rayner as the main character. If I were to orchestrate a Kyle Rayner title, I would have Jade play a big part in it. Even if you don't have the two get together, she could be used for romantic tension. I mean, what happens when your girlfriend dies and comes back to life, but upon her return you have another girlfriend... or maybe she doesn't like you anymore, or isn't exactly who she was before? There's interesting story potential there, and that type of personal dilemma seems like it would suit Kyle Rayner well. And if you're going to use Jade, you may as well bring in Alan to make appearances. I think that could be done without interfering with whatever Alan would be doing with the JSA, and it would give him more panel time.

One of the goals I had was to arrange things so that these characters aren't just relegated to non-Green Lantern team books. Sure, you can put John in Justice League, but if that is the only place you see him, he will be divorced from the Green Lantern family of titles, and relegated to a book where he will need to compete with Superman, Batman, and all these other huge characters, for attention. Ditto for Kyle on Titans, and Alan in JSA. I just don't think shoving the characters off to teams and containing them there is best for the characters if it can be helped. I think it would be good to also see them in Green Lantern publications and interacting with Green Lantern characters in Green Lantern situations. Seeing as how Kyle Rayner's most prominent love interest is Alan Scott's daughter, it seems natural to me to capitalize on that connection.

*shrug* But, if the fans hated them appearing in a title together, for whatever reason, I guess you could just keep them apart.

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 11-24-2018 at 09:17 AM.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:51 AM   #65
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-Lantern View Post

And Kyle with another (not stupid) identity with Jade and Alan and back in New York.
That's a solid idea. Kyle and Jade are one of my favorite comic book "ships" (as the youngsters say) and I thought that Alan being a mentor for Kyle in the 90s was a fitting way to tighten the GL continuity. I'd dig a title with the three of them as well as them occasionally crossing over as a group that aids Hal, possibly when he's at odds with the GotU.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:07 AM   #66
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

A mini series like Faster Friends would be cool. Another one with a generational theme.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:26 PM   #67
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Ugh. Warrior was the worst. I enjoyed the series for the character development that Guy got, but the powers were not my favorite, and the entire Vuldarian backstory was cringeworthy, IMHO.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:29 PM   #68
JohnMc
Green Lantern

Quote:
I don't think Spectrellax "burned out" Guy's Vuldarian DNA. They were made dormant again. Leaving the door slightly open for them to come back.

I wouldn't mind him being Warrior again. Especially if the alternative is Guy playing the power rings equivalent to musical chairs again. Or just being the resident asshole because needed one.
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:36 PM   #69
JohnMc
Green Lantern

Quote:
You found that believable?
Its as believable as a humanoid alien coming to our planet. Gets powers from out yellow sun. Can shoot laser beams out of his eyes and can sneeze tundras.

Or two rich parents were stupid enough to walk down a dark alley at midnight with their 8 year old son. Only to be killed because Daddy tried to be a badass against an armed robber.
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote