The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0
View Poll Results: Is Geoff still pulling the strings? (with the GL books)
Hell no, that's insane 5 11.63%
No 5 11.63%
Probably not 2 4.65%
To some degree, yeah 6 13.95%
Yes 6 13.95%
Are you kidding me? Of course he is 19 44.19%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2017, 03:50 PM   #101
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeltiC5-27 View Post
You guys are crazy if you think Green Lantern & Justice League's failures were because of Geoff Johns. If anything I think if he had more say in what happens in these movies, like Feige does with Marvel Studios, they would probably be more successful.
But at the end of the day it's the WB Executives screwing up these movies by getting too involved and not letting their directors make their movies. TDK Trilogy was amazing because Nolan got to tell the Batman stories he wanted too. Man of Steel, whether you like it or not, was 100% Snyder's vision & is one of the better DCEU films. Patty got to make the Wonder Woman movie she wanted and most people loved it. BVS, Suicide Squad and Justice League were all troubled productions because WB had their hands all over those films and look how they were received.
This.
"Chosen" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:47 PM   #102
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Unless WB execs were somehow responsible for giving Geoff Johns more say in the form these films would take. If THAT happened, it would ultimately be the execs' fault, but one could still say that Geoff didn't have a positive effect. But as I have no idea whether anything like that was going on, I can't really say whether that scenario has any resemblance to reality.

(By the way, I strongly disliked Man of Steel, and think "one of the better DCEU films" is a rather low bar. Snyder's vision could have USED some interference (or better yet replacement, since mere interference, no matter how well meaning, seldom makes things better) IMHO.)

Last edited by Mister Ed; 12-04-2017 at 04:50 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:32 PM   #103
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

It's more a matter of DC focusing on actors, directors and CGI, and not focusing on the stories. All of Marvel's stories are at minimum pretty good.

But with that said, Geoff was a producer on two movies that were critically reviled (BvS and Suicide Squad), and two that are among the top 15 money losers of all time (GL and JL). A captain has to go down with his ship. He can't make someone else do it.

There are too many other people out there with better records who DC could hire.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 12-04-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:15 PM   #104
Noct
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeltiC5-27 View Post
You guys are crazy if you think Green Lantern & Justice League's failures were because of Geoff Johns. If anything I think if he had more say in what happens in these movies, like Feige does with Marvel Studios, they would probably be more successful.
But at the end of the day it's the WB Executives screwing up these movies by getting too involved and not letting their directors make their movies. TDK Trilogy was amazing because Nolan got to tell the Batman stories he wanted too. Man of Steel, whether you like it or not, was 100% Snyder's vision & is one of the better DCEU films. Patty got to make the Wonder Woman movie she wanted and most people loved it. BVS, Suicide Squad and Justice League were all troubled productions because WB had their hands all over those films and look how they were received.
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Chosen" View Post
This.
You guys realize this is Geoff Johns version of JL adapted to movies right? The DCEU is practically the New52 the movie

Also, do I need to mention fartallax?
Noct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:16 PM   #105
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

If the producer on those films were anyone other than Geoff Johns, the results would have still been the same. Why? Because WB are the ones calling the shots, they put in the 2hr mandate, cutting 40 minutes of the movie, order the reshoots, forced the comedic elements, etc.

However Spy, if you insist on blaming Johns for all of this, you have to give him credit for the success of Wonder Woman as well.. i mean He was the producer on that too.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:46 PM   #106
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

If Wonder Woman is in one scale, and BvS, SS, JL and GL is in the other one, then Geoff goes.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:03 PM   #107
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

So no blame to WB from you?
Old 12-04-2017, 08:46 PM   #108
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

There are too many people out there who don't have the demerits on their resumes that Geoff has got. It makes no sense to keep paying him to produce movies.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:21 PM   #109
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

That response does not answer the question I asked, as I figured you wouldn't.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:51 AM   #110
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern Initiate

Mistake number 1 with the Justice League film was adapting Geoff Johns' Justice League Origin story. This was done in animation with Justice League: War, and that also turned out terrible. Regardless of who is to blame for what in the Justice League film, it was built upon an extremely faulty foundation that is credited to Geoff Johns.

The Green Lantern movie is also an adaptation of his Secret Origins story line from Green Lantern comics.

And aren't they supposed to maybe be doing an adaptation of Flashpoint in film? Ultimately, yes, it is the executives' fault for choosing to keep on adapting his stories, which they have never had any success with.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:21 AM   #111
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Chosen" View Post
That response does not answer the question I asked, as I figured you wouldn't.
His is the only name on all four of those disasters. He's the common denominator.

I don't know who at Time Warner keeps hiring him to produce. I'd blame that person too if I knew.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:53 PM   #112
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I will pass some blame to Johns, but he isn't the biggest problem with these movies by far. The real blame goes to whoever hired Zack Snyder, giving him a place to twist DC heroes to his vision. And then whoever decided to continue to keep him around along the way until he left in the middle of JL. Zack Snyder's vision wrecked these movies. Man Of Steel is a BAD Superman movie. BvS is the drizzling sh*ts, and JL is awful. Johns may love to inject his own crap into whatever he gets his grubby fingers on, but he DOES get things right as often as he gets them wrong. Snyder OTOH, doesn't get these characters AT ALL. Those people responsible for my bleeding eyes due to allowing Snyders' garbage fests to happen need to go.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:07 PM   #113
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern Initiate

Yeah, Snyder is definitely the big culprit. If I were the WB executives I would have been done with him after Man of Steel. Actually, I would have just never hired him.

I do think that the ultimate blame rests with the executives. I get the feeling that they can't be bothered to actually learn much about their potential billion dollar properties, and that's where much of the problem rests. I don't think they know what a good take on Superman is, or what makes one. And Green Lantern? I doubt they know much of anything about that, except for perhaps their experience with the 2011 film. I'm pretty sure that's why they have a guy like Johns around, so he can tell them what any of this stuff is about.

I doubt even Diane Nelson knows all that much about these characters. And when the big people backing all this can't tell good from bad, due to their ignorance about these characters and why people love them, I believe that is how we wind up with Zack Snyder making movies like Man of Steel and Batman v Superman. I also think Zack Snyder doesn't know much about the characters or why they appeal to people.

The big danger of Johns is that he's that guy whispering in these executives' ears and they are adapting his stories, and these executives, again, can't seem to be bothered to know any better. And Johns? Eh... all I'll say is that his sensibilities rarely seem to align with my own, if ever, except for in the most general senses, such as liking superheroes and comics.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:30 PM   #114
Noct
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-Lantern View Post
The big danger of Johns is that he's that guy whispering in these executives' ears and they are adapting his stories, and these executives, again, can't seem to be bothered to know any better.
This right here
Noct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:23 PM   #115
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-Lantern View Post
I'm pretty sure that's why they have a guy like Johns around, so he can tell them what any of this stuff is about.
That's why Morrison should take his place.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:40 AM   #116
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern Initiate

Here's something for the Geoff Johns apologists to think about. Looks like WB is "upset" with him for his Justice League failure:
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/12...g-geoff-johns/

Quote:
Warner Bros is pissed off at Berg and Johns for screwing up the DCEU. “Going forward, his contributions to the films may evolve, and could be more advisory in nature,” Variety says of Johns’ role, also implying that he may not get producer credits on future films, and his role will be more “advisory.” Johns and Berg were both “intimately” involved in the production of Justice League, and the film has made about a third of the box office of its Marvel counterpart, Avengers, and with a much higher budget and other costs that will likely cause Warner Bros to take a loss on the film.

Warner Bros is reportedly particularly “frustrated” about DC’s insistence on bringing Snyder back for Justice League after his previous movies failed to live up to expectations, and the studio found Snyder’s choice of villains in 1960s rock band Steppenwolf to be “faulty.” The studio is also “upset” that each DC film “seems to be making less money than the one that proceeded it.” In the wake of Justice League’s stunning failure, fans have clamored for Warner Bros to release a Zack Snyder cut of Justice League, but Warner Bros apparently feels that less Zack Snyder, to the tune of no Zack Snyder at all, is what’s needed for the DCEU.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:31 AM   #117
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I think people are right that because of his encyclopedic knowledge of the DCU, Johns has been the "comics guy" who the movie people have relied on. But his track record is so bad now that he had to go. Berg too. It's nothing personal. It's business. Any film company would have done the same.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:23 PM   #118
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Whatever else comes of this, the days when Johns had his fingers in every pie at DC because the high-ups thought he could do no wrong are over.